PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing temperatures

Firecapt
08-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know what temperature range wheel bearings should be at during use after maybe 100 miles or so at 70 to 85 degree ambient temp? I will be measuring with an infrared heat detector at the exterior hub.

I'm looking for a range that is acceptable and temps that, above which, I should be concerned.

smiller
08-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Temps can be all over the place depending on ambient conditions, axle model number and type, etc. so it's not possible to specify a precise number, best thing to do is compare all readings. For example if three are reasonably close together and one is significantly out of whack then you may have a problem.

hankpage
08-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Temps can be all over the place depending on ambient conditions, axle model number and type, etc. so it's not possible to specify a precise number, best thing to do is compare all readings. For example if three are reasonably close together and one is significantly out of whack then you may have a problem.

X2 .... same with tire and brake temps

Ron
08-19-2012, 06:44 AM
x3 and also in my opnion, if the inside of the hub is filled with grease, there is less room for an air pocket for cooling, that's why I always hand grease and not use the easy lube to grease wheel bearings, probably get alot of feed back on this one. Happy Campin...........Ron

66ken
08-19-2012, 01:57 PM
x3 and also in my opnion, if the inside of the hub is filled with grease, there is less room for an air pocket for cooling, that's why I always hand grease and not use the easy lube to grease wheel bearings, probably get alot of feed back on this one. Happy Campin...........Ron

I agree with you. To much grease will not let heat escape.

Jim W
08-19-2012, 01:58 PM
What I do when I check my temperatures is look for abnormality between front and rear wheels on the same side, such as tires, brakes, and bearings. I use an IF heat gun to measure the temps and look for temperatures that are abnormally high, 3 to 4 degrees of a delta T is ok in my opinion but 10 degrees would tell me something is wrong. I would than investigate to see what it is.
Jim W.