PDA

View Full Version : Help slide will not go out

aaronh
08-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I have a brand new Cougar 31sqb and my rear slide will not go out. I looked under neath to see if there is a manual crank but I dont see anything obvious. I can hear it make a ratching noise like like it wants to but does not go. Any ideas what to do?

Thanks

Aaron

jsmith948
08-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Had a similar issue with our Cougar. Several members here advised me to look underneath the slide, on the outboard side of the frame rail, for a bell shaped stop. Loosen the jam-nut and then loosen the bell shaped stop. This should relieve the pressure that is preventing the clutch mechanism (that's the ratcheting sound you hear) to engage and allow the slide to extend. After you again retract the slide, you can re-adjust the bell stop.
Hope this helps:)
FWIW - If your unit is under warranty, you might have the dealer check it out.

aaronh
08-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks Jack. I did see a long threaded bolt that has several nuts on it. Losed them but still nothing. I dont see any other nuts except for the ones on that bolt. Any other ideas? Ill try to attach a picture.

aaronh
08-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Attached are a few pictures. You can see where I loosened the nut.

Festus2
08-11-2012, 10:25 AM
The photos you have above are not what you are looking for. These are for making adjustments to the slide -- the way it travels in and out so that it seals properly.

On our Cougar, the manual operation of the slide is controlled by turning a hex head shaft located adjacent to the slide motor. The slide motor and this mechanism are located inside the black plastic coroplast underbelly. There is a small cutout in the coroplast located about a foot in front of the passenger side front rear tire and about 18 inches in towards the center.
In your case the motor would be in a line with the tubular piece shown in the photo. Line this piece up and follow it across to the other side of the camper. The motor should be located near here.

The cutout may be held in place with plastic ties or some other means. If you can't see any cutout, try removing a few of the screws holding the coroplast in place and peek in that vicinity described above.

Once you find the hex head shaft and motor, disconnect the wires from the motor and, using a rachet, slowly turn the shaft in the proper direction until the slide moves. Turn it counterclockwise to extend the slide. Reconnect the wires after you have moved the slide out a bit. Hopefully, all it will take is to get the slide out a bit then it might function properly afterwards.

Note that the location of your manual over ride system may be different than mine as our Cougar models are not the same.
Let us know how you make out.

aaronh
08-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Festus2,

Thanks. On the passenger side behind the tire is where I found the cutout. On the outside of the frame is where I found a hex head. A 5/8 socket fit and two turns later it was free and the slide went out using the motor. Thanks for the help.