PDA

View Full Version : if you don't use LP on a regular basis...

parkgirl
08-10-2012, 11:46 AM
So far with our new trailer we have not been using the propane. The first few days we used the indoor stove a couple of times then we shut off the propane and haven't used it since. I'm not a comfortable 'gas' user. Prefer everything electric myself. So now I'm just wondering about issues with spiders getting in the lines similar to the problems with a bbq.

We're heading up to our trailer for the week, and believe it or not the temperature at night is dipping quite low. We are bringing up my 89 yr old mother-in-law and we might need to put the furnace on at night (I can't believe I'm saying this, it's been so darn hot!!). If we do, though, do we have to be concerned about the lines not being clear? Is it similar to a bbq where each use you should clear out lines for possible spider nests? And if so, where do you clear out?

Thanks in advance for answering my paranoid question!
parkgirl

randy69
08-10-2012, 01:25 PM
They do make a clip on heater exhaust screen. Average size bug cannot in and you can Run the heater with it on. Or in storage just plastic cap the screens.

Festus2
08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I'd check the air intake, the flue area, the return air passage and the exhaust for any signs of nests, webs or other obstructions.
If you are going to place wasp filters over the return air or exhaust, they should be checked regularly since their fine mesh can become clogged fairly easily. Installing these meshes may also void your furnace manufacturer's warranty ---- check this out.

SAD
08-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Electricity is just as "dangerous" as gas/propane heat. I never understand the fear of using properly maintained equipment within it's design parameters.

parkgirl
08-10-2012, 02:23 PM
okay, thanks for these tips. I hope I can find all those things you mention festus2. Our 'manual' does not seem very informative about where and what things are.
rh

hankpage
08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
okay, thanks for these tips. I hope I can find all those things you mention festus2. Our 'manual' does not seem very informative about where and what things are.
rh

parkgirl, The manual you should be looking at is the one for your furnace, not the Keystone generic trailer manual. I'm sure the furnace will be fine, just run it while it is still warm enough to leave the windows open. The first time you use a furnace for the season it is normal to smell or even smoke a little. Don't be frightened unless it is extreme. Enjoy the week with MIL and relax, Hank

randy69
08-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Is this brand what your refered too? Because it easy to take it off, And the mesh isn't that close.

Festus2
08-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Randy69 -
You are correct, the wire mesh that is shown in your 3 photos is not especially "fine" and is not likely to become clogged. However, some folks have placed fine mesh behind the openings which could easily become clogged.
On the Suburban furnace warranty that we have - which is probably the same as many others - does have a disclaimer that reads "Suburban will not be responsible for ....... restrictions or alterations of return air circulation...." To me, this means that the addition of wasp filters or screens is a kind of alteration in the return and would make a warranty claim null and void. This would be true, however, only if anyone knew you had a screen there but .........

parkgirl
08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Okay, thanks hankpage. We'll check the Suburban manual and open our windows. .. and try not to be paranoid.