PDA

View Full Version : New from Michigan

monica4patience
08-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Hi all. We just moved up from pop-up to a 2010 Keystone Outback 310BHS. We had been tent campers for 28 years and pop-up for 5 years. What a change this is!

Our boys love the bunkhouse with slide and entertainment center. They frequently have friends over for video games and movies. We've had some very hot and humid weather, so they welcome the retreat to A/C. We limit the amount of time they spend back there so they get lots of time in the pool, riding their bikes, and hiking the trails, building forts, etc.

We had lots of fun organizing all our gear. Once we took the stuff we didn't need home (campstove, dish pans, sleeping bags, etc.), I was amazed at how empty my van was. No longer needed it for short-term storage!

We did make one modification so far: we removed the couch/airbed from the bunkhouse. It was too small as a couch for the crew of boys; DS20 didn't like having to open/close his bed every night/morning; and it took up too much space when open. He had taken to sleeping on the pull-down bunk which was too narrow. We put in a regular twin mattress with a foam mattress on top (extras from home). As a temporary fix, we used the fold-down bunk mattress as a couch back. We just received 2 foam wedge bolsters that we'll use to make a daybed. Just need to throw a waterproof cover over his bed and it's ready for guests to play video games. Plus we can separate the mattresses if we have extra sleepover guests.

Englishman
08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the forum the outback is a nice unit. You did very well tent camping for 28 years we gave that up after 5 got feed up getting wet. NOw we just pull our hotel room around with use. :wlcm:

monica4patience
08-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Plus, I slept on the ground in a pup-tent for the 3 nights before the trailer was delivered. We say that we "earned" our luxurious trailer!

volvosweetie
08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
:wlcm: to the forum. Congrats on moving up to the big time LOL. I am glad your family is enjoying the Outback. Hope you make new camping memories and safe travels.:D

JeffS
08-07-2012, 03:26 PM
We also started with a 2 person mountain tent then once the kids came along moved up to a Pop-up for a many years. After that it was on to a Travel Trailer and then to a 5th wheel for the last 13 years.

Safe travels.

monica4patience
08-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I remember the first time we camped in our family size tent. We had purchased it because it was big enough to put the porta-crib in with DD (now 22). We had camped on the same site that we're on now; right behind my parents who babysat for us while we went to a conference.

The last time we used that tent our family had grown. DD22 was 10; DS20 was 8 and DS12 was 7 months old. We had wall-to-wall sleeping bags. We zipped ours together with the little guy between us. We were parked across from my parents. In exchange for doing all the cooking at their place, we did all the cooking and clean-up while G & G entertained the kids.

fla-gypsy
08-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Welcome from the southland

Jim & Kay
08-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new "HILTON" LOL"bouncey:. Safe travels.

Family_5ers
08-21-2012, 06:47 AM
Welcome! We're from Michigan too and just ordered our new Keystone (Laredo) 5er.

:wlcm:

fla-gypsy
08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the group

michael
08-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the forum great people here, glad to meet another "bouncey:
8/21 to 8/23 I was just in kalamazoo Michigan on a trip to get a trans fixed for a big truck very nice people in the area.