PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Queens, NY

nythirdgen
08-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Hey everyone hope all are doing well.

I am Glen and my wife and I are looking into getting a travel trailer. Came across this site and I hope to learn aloy before we take the plunge.

Please don't bash the newbee question. But what is your thoughts about towing with a Ford Explorer or should I be adding a F150 to my purchase plans.

We were looking at 2012 Keystone X-Lite Cougar 28RBS

KanTC
08-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Welcome to the forum Glen (& Mrs nythirdgen), glad you joined us.

Without knowing the specifics of the Explorer, it's difficult for anyone to respond either way.
As a suggestion ~ post your question (with more info) in the 'Towing & Tow Vehicle' section, and you'll likely get more replies. ;)

Again, :wlcm:
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin :)

f6bits
08-03-2012, 09:32 AM
That’s a long, heavy trailer. It’ll need at least an F150. That trailer will exceed the Explorer’s towing capacity. Max capacity of any Explorer I’ve seen is about 7100 lbs, and that’s for older beefier models. The empty trailer, as it sits on the dealer lot is about that much. Loaded for a trip, it’ll be closer to 8000 lbs. And it’s about 1000 lbs on the hitch, which going to exceed your axle capacity. And the Explorer wheelbase is too short for a 32 foot trailer.

If you really want to keep the Explorer, there are smaller bunk house models with no slide outs.

SAABDOCTOR
08-03-2012, 10:31 AM
HI AND:wlcm:to the forum. WHAT ARE YOU NUTS?:D just kidding had to do it. I think you would be better off with the f150 or if you realy want to keep the exploder then go with a smaller unit. how ever if you can do both go for it you will not regret the extra room. now my turn. you sure ain't parking this thing i queens so where are you headded. there are lots of nyc folks at the place where we stay which is Brook-n-Wood in elizavile in clermont county. any way enjoy all the adventures ahead of you both take care and best wishes"bouncey:"bouncey:

ohiocougar
08-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Can't comment on the towing aspect, but we love our 28RBS"bouncey:

rjsurfer
08-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Welcome to the forum, good learning tool.

Grew up and lived in Queens for 30 years, great place.

Ron W.

nythirdgen
08-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the responses.

We are now looking at Class C's. Rented one for a family trip to Hershey in two weeks. Let's see how that goes....:eek: