PDA

View Full Version : FOOD; Whats Your Camping Must?

x96mnn
08-01-2012, 02:07 PM
The wife and I camp a fair bit but we always have one item we both struggle to come up with when we begin the next trip and wanted to reach out to the people here and see what your favorite camping meal is.

When we go hamburgers and sausages are always there along with potataoes, steak and chicken. I would have to say my favorite camping meal would be hamburgers on a flat bread bun topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup and mustard. Hamburgers are made from extra lean beef and put steak spice, Worcester sauce, ginger and mix brown sugar bbq sauce in with it.

So whats your favorite or meal that is a must when you go camping and recipes if not too top secret?

PS I leave for a to week trip Friday and the recommendations here will most likely make the trip with us :)

f6bits
08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Hotdogs and hamburgers. I can make those. It’s really just the same stuff we eat at home, with the exception of the first two items which are “camping food.” So I guess that makes them “camping musts.”

Festus2
08-01-2012, 04:37 PM
For those interested in campground food and recipes, SAABDOCTOR maintains "Kamp Kitchen", one of our Social Groups. This is a good place to find out some great, mouth-watering campground recipes that some of our members find hard to resist and; in some cases, fattening.

Have a look at this Kamp Kitchen Social Group (click on "Community" and follow the link)---- could become another one in the TV Cooking Reality shows....starring Barney and others....

Roberson4
08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Not too fancy here, but we always have lean hamburger meat (already browned), cut up onion, splash of season-all, dab of garlic salt mixed with BBQ beans(meat and beans)and fried potatoes for a meal.

We usually also have tacos, refried beans and such for another meal.

Of course we also have hamburgers n hot dogs for a meal in there somewhere.

StanMT
08-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I'll go for the obvious..... POP TARTS!

:D

JohnK
08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
We usually have breakfast tacos w/eggs sausage cheese etc....And of course take a frozen pizza to bake on the grill:p

SteveC7010
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Stuff we prepare while we are camping:

Home made clam chowder (Red Lobster style)

Home made chicken soup (Rachel Ray 30 minute special)

Parmed up Broiled Talipia

Baked Dijon Chicken

Challah Bread French Toast

Chicken Francese

Grilled Chicken with Cornell BBQ Sauce

French Chocolate Mousse

White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes (Red Lobster style)

We usually make enough for at least two meals. Leftovers are good.

Ron
08-01-2012, 07:45 PM
On the grill outside for breakfast, sausage/bacon/eggs/pancakes/french toast/ hash brown w/green peppers, onion, seasoning salt/and sometimes in the dutch oven a mountain man breakfast, basically the kitchen sink omelet. We usually eat breakfast around 10:AM then dinner at around 5:PM. For dinner on the grill is steak/chicken/pork chops/hamburgers/bistro sensation dogs, and in the dutch ovens we have coca cola chicken/ creamy potato chicken/barbecue ribs in home made sauce/tater tot casserole/chicken enchiladas/baked beans w/special sauce/corny corn caserous/meat loaf and more. Oh and of course salads.

If anyone is interested in any dutch oven recipes, we use Byron's dutch oven recipes off the internet.

We are always trying to explore new recipes each week we go and for the most part, they all turn out pretty good."bouncey: All our cooking is done outside as to not smell or grease up our trailer

Happy Campin..............Ron

flc
08-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Last year the Corps of Engineers at one of the lakes in SE Oklahoma said Bigfoot had been stealing campers Twinkies. I've been carrying some ever since to try and get him to show up. No luck, so far.

azlee56
08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Spam, believe it or not. I do diced with eggs in the morning and then sandwiches. Biscuits and gravy. Chicken is a dinner favorite after letting it bathe with Italian dressing.

As a group we do bag omelets, they really are easy. Just put them in a bag with your ingredients (minus the cheese) and boil for 20 minutes. If you put cheese it it, it is hard to see if your omelet is done.

The Sod Father
08-02-2012, 06:18 AM
When we have a large potluck with our camping buddies, we usually make chicken souvlaki for everyone. We will also make gyros or cheesesteaks for the crowd. The souvlaki was such a hit that a number of my non-Greek camping pals have learned to make them at home. The cheesesteaks are very popular with friends who live outside the Philly area.

When it is just the family, I will have real bacon and porkroll with my eggs and taters. At home we always eat turkey bacon so the real deal is a treat.

SAABDOCTOR
08-02-2012, 06:24 AM
WE always have soup and pasta and sause. for the rainy days. love to do shishkabobs on the grill. steaks hotdogs hambergers chicken. and lots of crock pot stuff!:)

campingcpl
08-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Breakfast: eggs (to many ways to list), biscuits & gravy, home made waffles, baggles & cream cheese, cereal, fruit.

Lunch: cold meat sandwiches (chicken,turkey or ham), burgers (turkey or buffalo), potatoe or pasta salad, chips of some sort.

Supper: smoked pork chops, steak, chicken, fish, burgers (turkey or buffalo), beans, steamed veggies, potatoes, salad, corn on the cob, soup.

We will use a lot of these to make all kinds of differnt dishes. :) We usually try to take stuff we can use many different ways. Not only does it make for less to pack but it makes for easier planning.

randy69
08-02-2012, 12:42 PM
4 days out dry camping. I love to cook marinate rancha taco meet and marinate chicken, salsa,chips and beans, Always have steak and bake potato one night. And fresh & easy has a meat pack we take (8 pieces of chicken, 4 bransworth sasuage, and 4 hamber patties. last day for camping would be left overs. Always have eggs, sauage and bacon for breakfast. My job is cooking and there is always a cold one in my hand.:p

chris199
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Breakfast: eggs over easy, bacon. English muffin toasted

Lunch: Peanut Butter (all nat..no sugar) on and Eng Muffin and some chips

Dinners:
Hot dogs and hamburgers

Favorite (and made it myself when camping this past weekend w/out the DW): small filet - supermarket split a pkg for me...maybe 6 to8 oz....lots of sea salt and pepper.... On the grill. Asparagus with olive oil spray on the grill. Corn on the cobb in microwave for 2.5 min in husk, homemade applesauce from like 3 years ago....made by DW. Made it in 10 mins....yummm.

DW made tacos, baked mac and cheese, enchiladas, pulled pork bbq, pulled chicken bbq for a recent week long trip.

JRTJH
08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Macoroni and Cheese (made with CheezeWhiz) with a can of Spam diced into 1/2" cubes and folded in and a can of DRAINED Rotel tomatoes folded in. Served with copious amounts of cold amber liquid in the can or bottle, whichever is handy.

2011 keystone
08-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Macoroni and Cheese (made with CheezeWhiz) with a can of Spam diced into 1/2" cubes and folded in and a can of DRAINED Rotel tomatoes folded in. Served with copious amounts of cold amber liquid in the can or bottle, whichever is handy.

This sounds great to me.

But my favorite camping meal is chili fixed in a cast iron dutch over a open fire let it cook all day yummmmm.

Roller4Tan
08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
I'll usually Dutch Oven a roast with potatoes carrots celery and brussel sprouts, Pork or Beef, and Dutch Oven Cake Pudding, good stuff...

Jim&Kelly
08-02-2012, 06:15 PM
We tend to eat more extravagantly when we camp some reason. Maybe its more time to cook. One of our favorotes is bacon wrapped jumbo shrimp on the bbq with steak. Oh and we wont forget fresh dungeness crab and artichoke dip and amarretto cheesecakes. Yummmm!

GMcKenzie
08-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Bacon. Lots of bacon.

x96mnn
08-03-2012, 03:33 AM
This was great and thank you all for the ideas and will test a few in the coming two weeks.

Another item we make on a regular bases when camping is bacon wrapped steak on the BBQ. I cut the steak into thin strips and marinade it for 24hrs then wrap the thin strips in bacon holding them together with a tooth pick. Really good snack and always a hit!

Ron
08-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Yes this was a great thread and has given us more ideas for meals. I love spam at times so maybe next time spam it is :D.......Happy Cookin...........Ron

KanTC
08-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Here's a similar thread about 'recipes'... might have some more ideas. "bouncey:

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4480

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

JRTJH
08-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Yes this was a great thread and has given us more ideas for meals. I love spam at times so maybe next time spam it is :D.......Happy Cookin...........Ron

Another Spam favorite is "California Spamwiches" On a hamburger bun, slice spam about 1/4" thick, lay a slice of tomato, a few rings of purple onion, a slice of American cheese, put on the top bun and toast over coals until warm and cheese is melted.

Like you, Ron. I like Spam "sometime" and can't manage to open a can at other times LOL

JRTJH
08-03-2012, 07:13 AM
This sounds great to me.

But my favorite camping meal is chili fixed in a cast iron dutch over a open fire let it cook all day yummmmm.

Chili in a dutch oven never works for us. We always manage to "sample" it all day long and by the time supper rolls around, the dutch oven is empty :p

azlee56
08-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Instead of bacon, tomatoe, lettuce sandwiches, I like spam fried and then put avacado too

Jim & Kay
08-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Cheeseburgers, hotdogs, brats, Jim's homemade chili, BarBQued country style ribs.... Jim makes the best ribs ever.

michol02
08-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Homemade chili, and in the winter, when it gets below 60 degrees:p(that's cold in Louisiana) we like chicken & sausage gumbo.

byrdr1
08-04-2012, 12:23 PM
crock pot.....stew beef, ham, Boston butts, beef stroganof(sp), pot roast, we have made breakfast casseroles, we have 2 crock pots in the house and 2 in the camper.
randy

Ron
08-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Boy all this good cooking sounds so delicious , next time someone is in our neck of the woods give us a call, we will be right there for dinner:rofl: Oh and I might bring the beer:bdance:........Happy Cookin............Ron

rhagfo
08-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Spam is still a good camping food, but my DW, loves to cook fancy on the road!
Oven roasted Game hens, with asparagus and baked potatoes.

Baked chicken

Cookies

Roast, both oven and crock pot.

Yes, we also do Hamburgers and Hot Dogs.

hankpage
08-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Spam is still a good camping food, but my DW, loves to cook fancy on the road!
Oven roasted Game hens, with asparagus and baked potatoes.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=1386

shane772
08-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Not too fancy here, but we always have lean hamburger meat (already browned), cut up onion, splash of season-all, dab of garlic salt mixed with BBQ beans(meat and beans)and fried potatoes for a meal.

We made this yesterday, it was a good, easy, fast meal. Thanks:D

rhagfo
08-05-2012, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=hankpage;46332]A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=1386

We will be right over!!

fla-gypsy
08-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Ready for the grill, stuffed with green pepper and onion, wrapped in bacon

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_46927_0_c91765d9ea770752dd5dffa34b5d2ecd.jpg

Oh, and lots of bacon

Yak
08-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Another Spam favorite is "California Spamwiches" On a hamburger bun, slice spam about 1/4" thick, lay a slice of tomato, a few rings of purple onion, a slice of American cheese, put on the top bun and toast over coals until warm and cheese is melted.

Like you, Ron. I like Spam "sometime" and can't manage to open a can at other times LOL
With my fest group we always eat Spam

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2PiywtngB6o/Soms6yBSb6I/AAAAAAAAAXc/CpxpdPzfnAw/s512/Folk%2520Fest%252009%2520007.JPG

volvosweetie
08-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Fla-gypsy,
When I was little, my uncle use to make something alot like that except he would put cheese then wrap in bacon. You any thing is always good with bacon.:D:) LOL . I will have to try this with the onions and peppers. It looks good.

TheLadyFreedom
08-22-2012, 06:31 AM
We fry up ground turkey with some rice and cheese, then make a vegabtle.
Or I take a lean round beef and add chorizo, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, corn, minced potatoes or whatever else I have for veggies, flavors, throw it in my 5qt cast iron pot and cook away! Makes it easy for several people, or my fav, is that I have left overs to add to our egg beaters for the rest of the week "bouncey::D

Ruffus
08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Low Country Boil
Fresh Caught Blue Crabs, Georgia Shrimp, Smoked Sausage, Corn on the Cob, New Potatos and Low Country Seasoning. Dump it on a table covered with news paper and dig in, no silver ware needed. It's a Georgia and South Carolina Thing Y'all!:wlcm:
All you Spammers out there, I always thought Spam was only a California thing until I went to Hawaii. We got nothing on the islanders. They lived on it during World War II. While visiting my brother who lives in Maui we first flew into Honolulu and went to a four star hotel/resturant for breakfast. They had Spam and Eggs on the menu. They also had Spam on the dinner menu. Not that's dedication to Spam!

hankpage
08-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Low Country Boil
Fresh Caught Blue Crabs, Georgia Shrimp, Smoked Sausage, Corn on the Cob, New Potatos and Low Country Seasoning. Dump it on a table covered with news paper and dig in, no silver ware needed. It's a Georgia and South Carolina Thing Y'all!:wlcm:

I'll be right there .... but what are the rest of you guys going to eat??? http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1125 .... Hank

Ruffus
08-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Hank, believe me, they never run out, plenty for everyone, if not they get a bigger pot.

TheLadyFreedom
08-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Perfect! Where are you camping next?? ;) Anywhere near Lucerene Valley, CA or Glamis CA?:D

Ruffus
08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Sorry Ladyfreedom, we did California last year at San Antonio Lake in Monterey County. We were there for six months as maintenance Hosts and did however check out several Paso Robles wineries.
Low Country Boil is what we now Georgians treat our out of town guests to when they come to visit. Spend the day crabbing and saining for shrimp they sit around the fire watching the boil while drinking a cold one. The last one we had one of the neighboring campers brought over home made peach ice cream, now that was really great. Just let us know when your in town.:party:

Family_5ers
08-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Walking Taco's. All the fixins thrown in to a personal size bag of Dorito's or Frito's. Easy and the kids love.
We also love to make omelets on the griddle, chili in the dutch oven and campfire pizza's.