PDA

View Full Version : Installing Surge Protector 2010 Raptor

grtoutdoors
07-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

Been lurking here for a while. Great forum and lots of good information.

I am reaching out because I want to install a hardwired surge protector into our ToyHauler (2010 Raptor 361LEV).

I was wondering if anyone has done this with their raptor and ... if they had any suggestions, pictures, things they would do differently, where they mounted it etc. etc.

I am currently looking at the Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hardwired Integrated Display EMS-LCHW50C.

Open to all suggestions and ideas.

Thanks in Advance.

Curt

jbsmith
07-29-2012, 07:27 PM
I installed the TRC 50 amp Surge Guard 40240 and couldn't be happier. I really like the wall mounted digital status panel...simple display with integrated bypass...no cryptic codes.

Working with the 6/4 wiring was a bit tough. If I had mine to do over, I'd probably re-wire my entire 50 amp supply with the more flexible 6/4 rubber coated cable from Home Depot. It's got more strands and is much easier to bend/route.

Here are some pics...also more info in the mods forum.

Located power disconnect in the cargo hold. The power converter was relocated onto the wall. Not many options with the stiff 6/4 wiring.

Digital display panel flush mounted into the wall beneath the control center. The display is backlit and includes a light sensor to turn the backlight on/off.

Finished install beneath the control center.

randy69
07-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I have a gen and transfer switch. will this work with generator??? Here is a good comparison site I found
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279

Festus2
07-29-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a gen and transfer switch. will this work with generator???

Randy69 -
Since the thread is about installing a hard-wired surge protector, are you asking how this will fit in with a generator and transfer switch?

jbsmith
07-30-2012, 03:00 AM
If you like the TRC and also require a transfer switch you might consider the TRC 50A Hardwire - Model 40250-RVC
Automatic Transfer Switch. The remote display/control is available, but supplied as a separate accessory, requiring the display panel and cable kit. I have no experience with this unit, but assume it functions just like mine except with the genset transfer.

grtoutdoors
07-30-2012, 08:56 AM
JB,

Thanks for all the great information. This was exactly what I was/am looking for. I hate re-inventing the "wheel" per se. Always nice to hear what others recommend and see how they did it.

Curt

I installed the TRC 50 amp Surge Guard 40240 and couldn't be happier. I really like the wall mounted digital status panel...simple display with integrated bypass...no cryptic codes.

Working with the 6/4 wiring was a bit tough. If I had mine to do over, I'd probably re-wire my entire 50 amp supply with the more flexible 6/4 rubber coated cable from Home Depot. It's got more strands and is much easier to bend/route.

Located power disconnect in the cargo hold. The power converter was relocated onto the wall. Not many options with the stiff 6/4 wiring.

Digital display panel flush mounted into the wall beneath the control center. The display is backlit and includes a light sensor to turn the backlight on/off.

Finished install beneath the control center.

grtoutdoors
08-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to bump this back to the top. I had another quick question, my trailer has a an automatic transfer switch which is located in the front left compartment which is right beside the generator compartment.

Would it be the right place to install a hard wired surge protector between the fuse panel and the transfer switch? The power to the coach (from shore && geni) goes through the transfer switch and there is plenty of space to install the surge. This would insure that the surge protector protects against both the shore power and the geni power.

Thoughts?

C

jbsmith
08-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Would it be the right place to install a hard wired surge protector between the fuse panel and the transfer switch?

Yep. The surge protector should be installed between the transfer switch and the power panel (breaker box) to provide protection when using the power pedestal or your genset. There are several nice hardwired units from TRC and Progressive Industries depending on what you need or want to spend.

grtoutdoors
08-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Awesome - thanks for confirming.

There is plenting of room to install the surge protector and super easy to access the cable - so the job should not be that hard :). The only tricky part that for see is getting the surge protector display installed above the panel.

Thanks Again.

Yep. The surge protector should be installed between the transfer switch and the power panel (breaker box) to provide protection when using the power pedestal or your genset. There are several nice hardwired units from TRC and Progressive Industries depending on what you need or want to spend.

randy69
08-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Randy69 -
Since the thread is about installing a hard-wired surge protector, are you asking how this will fit in with a generator and transfer switch?

I installed a progresive just behind the distrubition box and mounted the display in the pass through storage

flintknapper
08-17-2012, 07:06 PM

Nice looking installation!