PDA

View Full Version : Best 5th wheel to pull boat?

Dr smoke
07-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Curious what keystones best 5th wheel is to pull a boat behind (super B).
I need a bunk house and camp mostly in the bush (Alberta). Looking for a high quality, high end trailer that is not to long.
I kind of like the open range but they say no chance of putting a hitch on the back of it.

hankaye
07-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Dr smoke, Howdy;

Curious what keystones best 5th wheel is to pull a boat behind (super B).
I need a bunk house and camp mostly in the bush (Alberta). Looking for a high quality, high end trailer that is not to long.
I kind of like the open range but they say no chance of putting a hitch on the back of it.

Unless your RV is self powered I really think a truck (pick-up of course), would be preferable...

(he says with his toungue firmly in cheek)

hankaye

azlee56
07-30-2012, 03:15 AM
I don't know if you could do that with the now 5th wheels. They have a tiny reciever hitch, but surely isn't for pulling. The bumber area is like 200lbs only (or something like that).

I was a bit afraid the BF would want to do this with ours and my firm answer was/and will be. I will drive the other truck and pull the boat!

Festus2
07-30-2012, 07:40 AM
Dr smoke-
If you go to Keystone's website (www.keystonerv.com) and look in the TT section, you will find the TT's that are available. Check out the ones that have bunks and are the right size for you. You'd also have to check with Alberta's Dept of Highways to find out what the restrictions are for overall length, etc. when triple towing which, BTW, is not allowed in all provinces.
You would have get a proper and safe hitch welded to the frame of the 5th - certainly not the bumper- as well as check out the additional weight that you will be towing to make sure you would be within safe towing limits/ratings of your TV, tires, etc.

JD_Moe
07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Has anyone had success reinforcing the bumper that is there and just installing one of those Rv hitches?? I know the bumper itself would be a very bad idea but if it were reinforced would it be possible??

Bushman512000
08-04-2012, 05:23 PM
You can beef up any thing if You know how! a good welder some u-channel a few bits of receiver tube, flat stock for gussette and a eye for what is to be pulled.A tape, soap stone,most importent,the welder He is the the Man to make it all happen If You have a welding shop near by go and see the man tell Him what You want and He will set You strait about $150.most small jobs 2-3 hours but remember disconect the battery in the trailer for welding..cash will work best have the hight set to Your pull trailer toung leval for top of ball...You need lights wired also..You can add a ball behind a 5er pin but can not pull ball after ball as in Travel Trailer then a ball again most places it is not permited hope this helps good luck Bush:D

Cool Canuck
08-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Most will not warranty the trailer with a hitch installed. I did have a Jayco that specified no hitches yet had a factory installed hitch. Go figure.

JRTJH
08-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Keystone will not warranty the frame if it is modified by the user. When we bought our fifth wheel I wanted a hitch on the back but waited until the warranty was expired before having it installed. I didn't want to "open the door" for Keystone to refuse all warranty items. While I don't know if they would do it, Keystone could refuse warranty repairs on a leaking roof seam, on the propane system (or any other "non associated system") if they really wanted to the way the warranty is written. All they have to do is claim that it is damage caused by the hitch. I have no indication they would be so "bad" about doing this, but they could......

Here's the exclusion to the warranty from the owner's manual about installing hitches:

Damage or loss caused in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications or alterations • to the structure, body, pin box, or frame of the recreational vehicle including but not limited to trailer hitches for towing, or platforms for supporting cargo;