PDA

View Full Version : bouncing floor

hendog
07-28-2012, 01:55 PM
i just picked up a new 40ft retreat and the floor bounces like and sags when you walk on it.the dealer says this is normal for a longer trailer,is this true or is he blowing smoke you know where.

azlee56
07-28-2012, 03:18 PM
our 35ft (38 really) FW doesn't do it a bit. Saying that it does have movement if the stablilizers aren't down and planted. I don't know if I would call it a bounce though.

SteveC7010
07-28-2012, 03:40 PM
i just picked up a new 40ft retreat and the floor bounces like and sags when you walk on it.the dealer says this is normal for a longer trailer,is this true or is he blowing smoke you know where.

Before we start tossing eggs at the dealer, how's about you tell us how you have your rig stabilized in camp first?

Since it is a Retreat model, it should be on blocks or similar since you won't be towing it about. If it is properly set on blocks like most seasonals are, you shouldn't be getting any bounce.

hendog
07-28-2012, 08:11 PM
sorry i did not make it clear,the trailer is leveled and on blocks as it is supposed to be.this is not my first trailer so i am somewhat familar with them.the floor does sag when you walk on it.do all retreat trailers have this problem?just asking.

therink
07-29-2012, 04:16 AM
My 35' Sydney fiver does it as well. It is the only thing about my rig I don't like. It is obvious that the floor joists are insufficient, especially around the furnace vent openings. After 3 yrs it does not appear to be getting any worse.

spak1270
07-31-2012, 04:30 PM
We have the same issue on our 311 BHS Sprinter. Around the heat vents and also in front of the stove / refrigerator we have a squeaky floor. I will be returning it to the dealership for a final time under warrenty along with a few other minor issues.

christopherglenn
08-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Are there any support blocks directly in front of the axles?

IA Farmer
08-07-2012, 03:22 PM
We have the same issue on our 311 BHS Sprinter. Around the heat vents and also in front of the stove / refrigerator we have a squeaky floor. I will be returning it to the dealership for a final time under warrenty along with a few other minor issues.

I have this same TT and mine does it as well. When you spoke with your dealer did they say if they had a way to fix the problem?

spak1270
09-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I have to take it back to the dealer after our final two outings in Oct. They say they have to open up the underbelly and shim up the floor from the crossmembers.

audio1der
09-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Have you considered a layer of 2lb closed cell spray foam, applied by a contratctor? I've read that tightens everything up and provides an additional level of insulation which is never a bad thing.

CUFFS054
10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I 've got that in my 2010 291 TT also. But it also feels like the whole trailer is rocking. I'm way new to this, so it probably me. Wheels are chocked, hitch is level and seems very stable. The electric jacks are down 'tight' and each pad is on a solid surface. Can I put manual jacks other places under the frame? Should I brace the super slide?

Festus2
10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes, you can put manual jacks in other unsupported places on the frame but I would not recommend bracing the slide or putting slide supports under it. The slide support topic has been debated on here before and most members do not recommend this practice. You can do a forum search to find out the reasons.

CUFFS054
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks Festus. Is there any real advantage to the electric jacks v manual?

Festus2
10-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Some TT have electric jacks all round while others have manual ones. I think it is a matter of personal preference and how many of the labor-reducing options you want. Many members who have manual jacks use a cordless drill with a 3/4 in adapter on the end so there is really no physical effort needed to raise or lower the jacks. The time taken to do this task is also reduced.
Some members may not be physically able to manually operate the jacks and having electric jacks is a requirement for them.

I think you have to weigh what you need vs what you want as I don't think that there is too much difference between the two. Both have pros and cons.

The downside of electrical components is that they are more susceptible to failure than the manual ones. There isn't much that can go wrong with manual jacks. The other negative is the additional cost - if they are an option item.

CUFFS054
10-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Festus,
my thought is 'what's camping w/o sweat, to build up thirst, that needs to be quenched by cold adult beverages'... but I digress.
My 2010 291 came with ele friggin everything and I was looking to reduce the "unsteady-ness" of the TT when set. I just checked out "Steadyfast" and it might be what I need.

Festus2
10-02-2012, 04:21 PM
CUFFS054 -
Well, if you go ahead and get the Steadyfast system, then you will have to exert some time and physical labor to get them set up. Don't think they have a remote or electrical option with them.

Sooooooo, get yourself in shape and be prepared for a very, very small workout followed by, as you rightly pointed out, some cold, adult beverages. Seems to me that you were simply looking for something to buy that required a small amount of labor as an excuse to "partake".

Will you be able to manage?

CUFFS054
10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Festus, lord knows it will be a trial but I will push through it! All this ele hoohaa seems stupid. The 2006 293 I had originally wanted was all manual. I'm afraid to touch a switch!