PDA

View Full Version : Un-usial Wheel Problem

Ruffus
07-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Woke up yesterday and found a flat tire on our 5ver. Been running the unit from Florida to california and back with out any issues. Took the tire off and went into town to have it fixed and found that there was a leak in the wheel itself not the tire. It appears to be a casting flaw about the size of a speck of sand. Can't understand why it took 20,000 miles to show up. I'm not sure who to even call because don't know who manufactured the wheels. Any ideas?:confused:

chuck&gail
07-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Any chance you "upgraded" the tire Load Range? Not unusual, so I've read, when fully inflating LR-E tires on LR-D rims for example.

SAABDOCTOR
07-27-2012, 04:58 AM
HI A pourous casting is rare but it does happen. vibration, pot hole or in my case bad luck!:D how ever I would replace that wheel rather then try to fix it. if you have a spare that matches use that wheel and you could put some jb weld on the porous spot and mark that as spare only. but i would ex the wheel. only my opinion. thers will vary.I'm haveing a good day i survived the the east coast storm of the century last nite so please don't ruin it ha ha ha(tx)

chivas
08-01-2012, 07:59 AM
I have a 2012 Alpine 3500RE and had a cracked rim 4 months after buying. Keystone replaced it. I immediately weighed the camper and found I was NOT overloaded. It cracked in the spoke area so I never got a flat. Glad I was checking things and found it.

I would absolutely replace it.....

I would not even use it as a spare. Just my opinion...........

laidback
08-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Everyone with alum. wheels should be checking them on a reg. basis. I know one guy that all four of his cracked. (2012 alpine ) I have the same on my cougar and check them daily when on the road.