PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Single group 4D 12v battery

break80
07-25-2012, 07:24 AM
I read on another forum that someone thinks it's a better option and has much more reserve power than with a regular 12 v battery; 2 - 12 v batteries hooked in parrallel; or 2 6v deep cycle batteries hooked up in series.

Anyone give me feedback on this "single group 4D 12 v battery? It seems that they can be pretty expensive and quite heavy. My cougar has an outside mount on the front, so I think this would be ok..

My interstate battery that came with the camper is crap and won't hold a charge dry camping for 1 day, with the ac on intermittently and the water pump and fridge.

SteveC7010
07-25-2012, 08:15 AM
My interstate battery that came with the camper is crap and won't hold a charge dry camping for 1 day, with the ac on intermittently and the water pump and fridge.

I'm very curious to know how you are running your air conditioning off a 12vdc battery.

Festus2
07-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Your fridge - if on propane - will draw only a small amount from your 12v battery and your A/C cannot run off it. If your single, 12v battery is in good condition, you should get a bit more than 1 day if you are being careful on your usage of lights, pump, etc.
But you are right about the 4D's being heavy, expensive and large.
If you do a fair amount of dry camping, my choice would be 2 6v Trojans but others use 2 -12's and have had success with those.
There probably wouldn't be much difference in the weight or price of a single 4D compared to two 12's or 6's. You'd have to take a look at the amp hours of the various combinations and brands when considering what would make the best option for you.

break80
07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Your fridge - if on propane - will draw only a small amount from your 12v battery and your A/C cannot run off it. If your single, 12v battery is in good condition, you should get a bit more than 1 day if you are being careful on your usuage of lights, pump, etc.
But you are right about the 4D's being heavy, expensive and large.
If you do a fair amount of dry camping, my choice would be 2 6v Trojans but others use 2 -12's and have had success with those.
There probably wouldn't be much difference in the weight or price of a single 4D compared to two 12's or 6's. You'd have to take a look at the amp hours of the various combinations and brands when considering what would make the best option for you.

My bad, the ac reference was incorrect. I was not running the ac on this trip. what kind of pricing would the 2 6v Trojans run, and where may be a good place to purchase. I saw some of th 4d 12v ranging from $300 and up adn over 120 lbs...

jsmith948
07-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Have to agree with Festus2 regarding the 6v batteries and I am told that the Trojans are the best. However, unable to spend the price of Trojans, I went with 2 - 6v golf cart batteries from Costco - right at $80.00 each. We can get 5 days dry camping with power to spare. FWIW:)

SAABDOCTOR
07-25-2012, 10:24 AM
I have seen thetrojans on fle-bay 100+price range. be careful when buying interstae 12v deep cyles there are two types one is srm the other pro. thesrm is adaul purpose the pro is a true deep cycle the pro's about 20 bucks more. that is right out of the interstae dealer sheet.:D

Johnnyfry
07-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Saab,

How do you tell the difference?

Thanks,
John

tim5055
07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
YOu are going to want to buy the Trojans locally, not sure on how they will ship a wet/flooded battery. I have two on the front of 2004 trailer that are just now getting close to needing replacement - but I treat them right. I would say $145-$150 each is in the range. Charge them fully before use, recharge them after every use and get a float/trickle charger for extended periods of non-use.

Another option is Brand X golf cart batteries at Sams/BJs/Costco. Figure $80 each at the big box store and if treated right you should get 5 - 6 years.

BOBYT1630
07-25-2012, 10:30 PM
This brings up a question I also have. When I bought my Cougar 5ver (used) it had an older 12V. I asked the setup guy when I picked it up What I should replace it with. He told me 2 6V in series. More AMP HRS. The first time out that same weekend the 12V died by morning. I drove 35 miles to Walmart but they didn't have any 6v's so I ended up buying 2 12v's set up in parallel. Now I decided to research this on the internet, and what I find is that 2 6 volt batteries set in series the amp hrs do not add so if you put 2 6V in series with 105 amp hrs each. Your total amp hours is 105. But if you put 2 12v batteries in parallel with 105 amp hrs each. Your total amp hours is 210.

So why is it better to use 2 6v's in series? :confused:

SAD
07-26-2012, 02:20 AM
This brings up a question I also have. When I bought my Cougar 5ver (used) it had an older 12V. I asked the setup guy when I picked it up What I should replace it with. He told me 2 6V in series. More AMP HRS. The first time out that same weekend the 12V died by morning. I drove 35 miles to Walmart but they didn't have any 6v's so I ended up buying 2 12v's set up in parallel. Now I decided to research this on the internet, and what I find is that 2 6 volt batteries set in series the amp hrs do not add so if you put 2 6V in series with 105 amp hrs each. Your total amp hours is 105. But if you put 2 12v batteries in parallel with 105 amp hrs each. Your total amp hours is 210.

So why is it better to use 2 6v's in series? :confused:

As I understand it (battery dunce here)... When you run them in parallel, you don't get exactly double. It's not a linear "addition".

Also... your 105 amp hours for the 6v seems low to me???

Anyway.. a good read right here -> http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

SAABDOCTOR
07-26-2012, 04:53 AM
johyfry look at the part number it will start with srm or pro then the group# ie srm-24 pro-24m both are 500 cca battery's but pro is the true deep cycle. :)