PDA

View Full Version : I am so ticked off, worried and need your input

azlee56
07-24-2012, 06:32 AM
In saying that Festus or Hank or... if this is not in the right area please feel free to move it.

You all know our generator got stolen from the BF's house, before that was a Carl Edwards 2011 jacket and a TV out of the old RV. After the generator and bike was stolen, BF locks his gate to make it harder for things to walk off. This area hasn't had to deal with this in years and years and they are use to leaving homes unlocked and vehicles. Which brings me to my totally cussing mode that I am.

He calls me this morning and told me the diesel truck key was stolen out of his work truck, that he left unlocked. They very nicely laid every key on the seat and only took the truck key. I said oh H*ll, they are going to wait until the truck is there and take the truck. I said that is it, the truck is going to work with me while we figure out how to go about this. He said they don't know where you live. I said we don't know if it someone we know or not. The police are going to pickup their patrol over there and I will figure out how to get the truck key replaced or rekeyed or something.

It just makes me fume. Anyone else go through someone stealing your vehicle key? Good Sam do anything or the insurance for the truck. I really don't want to have this thing stolen. He wants to set them up with the truck at his house and I said the HECK YOU ARE!! His initial anger moment I think.

Yeah, I keep telling him to lock stuff up, but he is like many here....why do we have to that. I live behind lock doors which he thinks is terrible.

edit: Can these things be reprogrammed, it doesn't have an alarm system on it. Maybe get a club for it? I just need suggestions, beside thumping him in the middle of the head, he already feels bad, it is just a habit.

hankpage
07-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Lee, Calm down .... we know that when something is stolen we feel violated but between the economy and drugs some people are desperate. The Club and a cheap alarm will deter amateurs while the truck is at home but anywhere else .... folks just ignore the alarms nowadays. If you only use the truck when towing ..... pulling the fuse for the fuel solenoid or pump or starter will disable it until you need it. JM2¢, Hank

azlee56
07-24-2012, 07:15 AM
True and I am sure drugs is the bottomline of this thing, but because we are so close to the border different vehicles can bring in a good amount of money. I think they found an easy mark, but from the get go I wondered if it was someone around the circles we are in, infact I told him we aren't going to talk about what we have except to close friends...fellow campers. I told him it could be paranoid, but things weren't fitting right. These thieves are a bit strange. They took a generator of the BF's when a welder of the neighbor was right there. They came into the old RV and took our stuff and left the neighbors alone that was also unlocked (a TH) and new stuff in it. It just erks a person.

I will tell the BF your suggestion, he will probably grin and say "yeahhhhh". Of course he better teach me how to undo if I need it for an emergency to get to work.

Festus2
07-24-2012, 07:18 AM
azlee -
Most of us have had stuff stolen at one time or another and it is maddening. You might want to pay a visit to the Ford?? dealership or a locksmith to see if it can be rekeyed. In the meantime, buy a Club as Hank suggested and look into having an alarm installed.
One other possibility is to have a battery disconnect switch put in. We have discussed these on the forum and they are a fairly easy and inexpensive install. These switches are readily available.
Do a forum or Google search (Battery disconnect switch --- or similar) to find out more information about them.

azlee56
07-24-2012, 07:22 AM
I thought the battery disconnect was for within the RV, not the TV. I will search with a new understanding as I read. Thanks. He is going to pickup the club today I guess. If they steal they will wreck it I guess. (smile). I always did wonder about that. Truth be told, if they want it, they will get it...if even in pieces, maddening is a great word!

Festus2
07-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Battery disconnect switches can be used in many applications and locations. When you find out more information about them through your research and do end up buying one, don't forget to install the switch in a location where it isn't accessible. These switches also can come with their own "key". Without it, you can't turn the switch to the "ON" position.... it can be "locked" as well. I'd get one of this type.
You'll find out all of this when you read up on them.

Mighty Ming
07-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Save your money don't bother with the club. It to easily defeated... They just snip the steering wheel once with a pair of bolt cutters and it's gone. That easy. Go with pulling the fuse or the batt disconnect that is keyed. Eventually though it will be a pain in the ... to keep reinstalling fuse or turning battery on. I see you eventually re-keying it. Give the dealer a call for a quote. Sorry you're bummed. Hang in there. Based on everything going on in Tucson... I'm so surprised that Bf doesn't lock things up. I have relatives in Tucson so I hear all the caca happening that a way. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azlee56
07-24-2012, 11:28 AM
hmmm, is that why you don't see many clubs around any more? After I took 20 long breaths I had to think that if they wanted the keys they would have smashed the window. That would have cost more probably in the long run. We are fortunate to have a friend that is a locksmith and I had the BF call him and ask him what could be done. He said if the key has a chip in it he can reprogram it, if not then he can rekey it. I am going to call the dealer too.

He starts to lock things then old habits come back. I told him about a month ago I was going to hear him say someone came in his house stole everything. I don't nag, so that is about as close as I come. Today, I said are you sure they aren't in your pants I just washed and are in my dryer? LOL

He said no, remember you took them to unlock the truck on Sunday and hung them right back up and I said yeah, on the second hook. So they were stolen for sure. Just seems really gustsy to steal a key to await to steal it (surely this person doesn't take keys for a collection!).

SAABDOCTOR
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
azlee i am sorry to hear about what is happening. the club is a waste of money. the ford dealer should be able to reprogam your alarm module with a new ccode and then relearn what ever keys and remotes you have. then the key that went away will not work. the battery disconnect is a good idea too with a key lock but you will need to mount it so they can't put a jumper on it and bypass the switch. the last thing is a mi garand. full clip and when they come fire a warnning shot in the back of their heads and then yell stop or i'll shoot! then fire another shot into a tree so it looks right when the cops come. set up a video camera they are not to expensive. i'll bet they don't wear masks and you can turn it over to the police. i hope you can catch them good luck.

azlee56
07-24-2012, 12:47 PM
The BF thought of the clip first, the thing is he might forget to reaim. The BF is buying the mobile behind his best friend for him, I call it renting...they call it buying. He called him and they were discussing the video cams, which I would be glad to setup. Thing is he would have to build something to enclose them, or they would get stolen. This happened at our Elks lodge in another location. I was flabergasted. The friend is a welder so he would make them where a nothing could do harm to them. Just seems sad we have to do this.

Called the dealer and key doesn't have a chip so the locksmith will have to make the key, but not a new mechanism, they can reprogram my remote and order another one to the sum of 80-100.00. No charge for the programming though.

A hiney of buckshot might be the answer. ugggg

f6bits
07-24-2012, 01:09 PM
What year is the truck? I recently got new keys and remotes for backups and went through a similar process. For the key, though, dealer will have to reprogram it and that’s probably an hourly labor rate. I don’t know if they can deactivate the old key’s chip, but I hope so if it turns out to have one. And re-keying would be a good idea, but can get costly. Maybe your insurance can help cover it.

Reprogramming remotes was an easy process on a newer truck. Google the process for your truck’s year model. You can buy a new remote off eBay for relatively little.

It looks like you’ve already though of the camera idea, but you can already try motion triggered lights. I use dual-level lights that are on dim during the night, but go to full power when something moves.

azlee56
07-24-2012, 01:20 PM
It is a Ford 250 7.3 2000. The dealer said the keys weren't chipped, although I am not real sure the girl I was talking to knew what she was talking to. She kept asking questions to someone behind her.

I didn't think about reprogramming myself, I figure it was dealer classified. I will have to search, I am good at that stuff (normally). I haven't looked too much into the video cameras and it would be stored on the computer, lighting might be a problem too. Infrared pics it up, but can it show who it is. I am not sure on that. I know some cameras can do real good colored pictures in street lighting. I have a bit to learn yet. Message me if you have any input (or put it here).

hankaye
07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
azlee56, Howdy;

Commin in late. Sorry to hear about what's been goin' on.

I'm guessin' that you both have ex's ..... any in the area with a chip on the
shoulder ??? My last (have 4), was sweet as pie till she durg me thru court to get the 30 acres... Never saw it comming...

hank

azlee56
07-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Not with me there isn't. I hadn't dated in 11 years untll I met him, cause I was chicken. He dated here or there after his wife passed away. Like I said, I am very suspicious if it is someone we know. Although I was married a couple of times, one has passed away (now he would have given me trouble) and the other could care less.

SAD
07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
"Chipping" has been around for quite some time. Whether it's on your truck or not is another question. Was probably optional.

You can tell easily by getting a generic Ford key cut at homedepotloweswalmartacehardware and trying to start the vehicle.

We didn't even realize our 2001 Jeep had the feature until we went to get a key cut and it would fire up and run for 1 second and then shut down immediately.

Worth a shot and only costs about $2 and prevents a trip to the dealer if you're wishing to avoid.

Oh and BTW... Our Jeep could only be programmed for a total of 4 keys... So if we lost an original key, the dealer could reprogram it for (1) original key (2) same original key (3) new key (4) new key again... Forcing it to "forget" the 2 nd original key we lost.

alien_scones
07-24-2012, 02:29 PM
An inexpensive game camera to record visitors to the lot could provide some insight on who is taking extra interest in your toys.

azlee56
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
any ideas which ones? I would like to have some idea what is out there, any suggestions.

f6bits
07-24-2012, 08:03 PM
This one is popular:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PVGA1O

Beyond that, you’d have to start looking into the $200 and up security camera systems. I think a game camera combined with better outdoor lighting is your best bet to deter and record.

azlee56
07-24-2012, 08:06 PM
looking at it, and thanks. I'll search for it for the setup stuff.

JRTJH
07-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Sams Club has a number of "whole system" security systems with 2 - 8 cameras and recorder/wiring cables for $250 and up. I'm sure other stores have competetive systems.

As for using a "game camera" to monitor the area. I've found with mine (Tasco, Moultrie and Bushnell) that the IR versions give less indication that they are present, but also record less detail than the flash units. The flash units, in my experience, scare game and if used in a security situation, are too easy for a thief to find (just follow the bright light to the camera and destroy it or steal it also)

wgb1
07-25-2012, 08:13 AM
X2 on the game cameras and yes, the Club can be defeated quickly. I saw an ex-con go through one in 8 or 9 seconds on TV once. He hacksawed through the steering wheel and chunked the club.

OhhWell
07-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Man, you gotta lock your stuff up these days. You can say you shouldn't have to until you are blue in the face but you have to come to terms with reality.

The level of the neighborhood doesn't mean much anymore either. Around here, they carpool and canvas nice neighborhoods looking for unlocked cars. You have to lock your cars and sheds etc no matter where you live. If yours is locked, they will just move on looking for an unlocked one.

Now, the fact that only the one key was taken is a bit unsetteling...

azlee56
07-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Big time it is unsettling! I am glad they left the RV keys though, maybe they didn't realize what they were. I am not a crying person, but at the end of the day while meeting with the locksmith they came and he said, I am going to keep things locked from now on...this is really upsetting you. He is a sweet guy, just for years the area has been safe, but not any more.

Thanks everyone with the input of camera stuff. Any other ones you see let me know, this is a neat fast lesson (geez I am such a geek):rolleyes:

If we find who I am gonna make the courts make them clean highways forever so we can drive down the roads with no trash!! (so there)

Johnnyfry
07-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. A suggestion: years ago I had a 2 seater sports car with a rag top so locking the doors didn't provide much security In those days hot wiring was no big deal, no steering column locks and a paper clip could do it. It had an electric fuel pump so I installed a hidden, but conviently located, switch in the pump line. it was easy to reach back and switch off when I got out of the car and just as simple to switch back on when I got back.

John

SAABDOCTOR
07-25-2012, 10:33 AM
azlee if you have to do the program thing,some cars reqire you bring all the keys you have and the remotes. with you or there programing will be lost. i do not know if ford is that way,but most of the eropean stuff i deal with and some jap cars are that way. i like the buck shot in the butt too don't forget to yell stop or i'll shoot:D

azlee56
07-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Saab, I told the BF all this and at the end I said and I was reminded to say "stop or I'll shoot". He said oh yeah, guess we should! lol

He got up at 2:00am yesterday morning and sat hidden and was going to do it this morning. I said did you see anything and he said no. I said so now they have also stolen peace of mind. us=0, them=2. sigh.

35mastr
07-27-2012, 08:57 AM
You can go to the dealer and buy a complete lock set for the truck. I do this quite often at work for customers. When keys either get lost or stolen. It will have ignition,both doors and a glove box lock.

azlee56
07-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Had the locksmith rekey them for 125.00. A pain in the butt, but at least it is safer. I forgot about the glove compartment lol. I never lock anything up in it so I guess that is ok.

jsmith948
07-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Hello Lee - the DW and I have been following this thread and just want to say we are sorry you have had so much trouble and we're glad you have found a satisfactory, albeit expensive, solution. $125.00 is a lot to spend but I guess it will be worth it for the piece of mind - good luck going forward:)
Jack & Marty

SAABDOCTOR
07-27-2012, 09:35 AM
WELL That will at least slow them down so the bf can get a shot off!:D i sure hope they get cought and you guys don't get hurt! thescary part is coming home and walking in on them. i carry a kel tec 380 acp it is in my pocket all the time can't see it very small. when i walk in the door my hand is in my pocket. and i do have a permit. just so i don't get yelled at by others. and i never take it to canada!!:eek: good luck

Festus2
07-27-2012, 09:49 AM
azlee56 -
Glad to hear that your problem is now resolved and you and your BF can forget about it and move on.

closesquarters
07-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Just read your post today. Sorry to hear you were being harassed by thieves. My wife and I go camping almost every weekend 5 months out of the year. We wanted a security system for the house... but didn't like the idea of paying a monthly fee to a security company. Then I looked into these wireless surveillance cameras. There are many companies that make them if you search a bit... I ended up picking up a camera by Foscam, model# FI8910W. Here's their website: http://foscam.us/

Here is a link to a 2 minute video demo of the camera and how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVcIIbOkR2c

I like 4 things about this system. 1) I don't pay a service monthly. 2) No wires as it operates wirelessly off home wifi network (although needs electric outlet). 3) I have it set up to send emails to my smartphone when it detects motion. 4) I can view the camera live from a smartphone, iPad, or any computer connected to the Internet.

The camera is about a hundred bucks. Only drawback I see for some is the setup. I'm no computer expert but had the camera up and running in about an hour so I could view it on my home network. Viewing the camera from a remote location (not on home network) took a lot longer... about three hours including a lot of research. Works great though. Have had it for about a month.

azlee56
07-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look at those too. I do want wireless though. I am not sure how many cameras yet.