PDA

View Full Version : What is a good road tar/oil remover?

DennisT
07-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Hit a little spot of, "fresh oil," in some road construction. Didn't pick up too much, but as this is our first ever TT, (Springdale 266RL, 2009), I'd like to get off on the right, "cleaning foot." My earlier post about the plastic diamond plate area got some helpful tips, but I'd forgotten to specify the road oil part.

Thanks for any suggestions on products that will not hurt the painted aluminum.

Dennis

campsd
07-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Try some W-D 40,I've used it to remove road tar on my vehicles without any problems.Just spray and let it soak a bit,then just wipe it off.Then just wash and some wax and you should be good to go.

Laredo291OH
07-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Hey DennisT,

You might also try a magic eraser. They are great for removing bugs from the front of TV also. I will usually apply some wax afterward cause it does such a good job takin things off I figure it has to be taking the wax off too. That's also another thing, keep everything waxed good, TV and trailer, makes them way easier to wash.

therink
07-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Try some W-D 40,I've used it to remove road tar on my vehicles without any problems.Just spray and let it soak a bit,then just wipe it off.Then just wash and some wax and you should be good to go.

X2- easiest method. No need to buy anything else.

ktmracer
07-21-2012, 08:04 AM

x2 on WD 40. ONLY thing I use WD40 for is to remove pitch/tar from my hands, or small amounts of tar from vehicles. IMHO that's all the stuff is good for.

If you have a large area to work on, go to a hardware store and buy a quart/gallon of NAPTHA or "stoddards solvent". That's basically whats in WD40 and many off the shelf tar removers.

golfpro
07-22-2012, 04:10 PM
I used to use peanut butter when I was in High school to remove road tar. but that was a long time ago. I'm sure they make PB different now and there must be something out there that is made esp for removing tar., Have you gone to Wally world and looked for tar removing junk?

azlee56
07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
does wd40 hurt the finish?

jsmith948
07-23-2012, 06:47 AM
does wd40 hurt the finish?

Haven't had a problem with WD-40 hurting the finish. I always wash the WD-40 off with soap & water after the tar is dissolved. I would guess that it does remove the wax along with the tar though:)

kenn209
07-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Would that work on Pine tree sap?

campingcpl
07-23-2012, 07:17 AM
I like using Awesome, you can get it at the dollar stores. It works great on bugs and road grim and black streaks. I usually just spray it on and let it sit a minute or two and then wash with a soft brush or sponge and stuff just comes right off. My wife even uses it around the house to clean grease off the stove or on my greasy clothes or even cleaning stains out of the crapet.
Awesome Products Inc (http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/)

Jim & Kay
07-23-2012, 08:49 AM
I have used liquid wrench for years to remove road tar or any sticky substance (after removing decals, tape, etc...) and finish up with WD40. WILL NOT HURT YOUR FINISH. I have used it on my 2012 High Country."bouncey:

SAABDOCTOR
07-23-2012, 09:21 AM
go along with the others wd 40 liquid wrench work great for cleaning bugs and tar. they just suck at what they were supposed to do! use pb blaster or bg n force for rustted nuts. on the camper! get your mind out of the gutter:D

jsmith948
07-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Would that work on Pine tree sap?

Works on tree sap, road tar, chewing gum, decal glue - like others have said - great cleaner, but lousy lubricant - although it does work good on hard to get to lock mechanisms - there again - probably more cleaner than lube
Jack

jbsmith
07-23-2012, 05:27 PM
I've also used WD40 for adhesives, tar, etc and it works great. HOWEVER, I discovered that the WD40 will dissolve/break down the Dicor and other non-silicon caulk used on the seams of the trailer! I used it to clean off the factory sealant when replacing my tail lights. Just be careful and keep it off the caulk.