PDA

View Full Version : Slider Hitch Advice Needed

JP4
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
I have a new 5th wheel and Reese 15K slider hitch on my F150 FX4. I'm taking the rig out for my first trip soon and I'd greatly appreciate any and all advice on using the sliding hitch do's and don'ts. It seems to me that I have pretty good clearance and turning/backing ability even in the towing position since I have a med sized bed - not really short-short. What is the proper procedure for moving the slider in and out of positions and will it be necessary to place in maneuver position at gas stations, etc? Thank you!

Scottinvt
07-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I hardly ever used my slider when we had our fiver !! The only time we needed it was close quarters at the race track. Make sure the handle is in the lock position !! And make sure the emergency brake away cannot get hooked on the hitch !! Trust me from a bad experience at a campground!!

rigby
07-18-2012, 03:05 PM
We recently got our slider hitch installed, but I found out later that our installer gave me the wrong instructions about use when we went to pick it up. (Basically, he didn't mention about putting the landing gear down to take off some of the hitch weight when transfering to/from the manuver position). He also neglected to keep the paperwork/manuals that came with the hitch, so I didn't have those either.

Fortunately, one of the things we had on the list to try out after PDI in the dealer parking lot before we headed out on our shakedown run was to excercise the slider. Short story is that we attempted the hitch installers method twice with really bad/scary/banging results. I knew that couldn't be right so when we got home, I downloaded the manufacturers instruction guide from the web. Once I followed their proceedure, everything worked smooth and easy (duh, huh? :D )

In our case, it was a Reese 15k slider hitch. Anyhow, to answer your question, I would strongly recommend making sure you read and understand the hitch manufacturers instructions and follow those over any others.

Oh, and it turns out we've never really needed to put it in the manuver position (yet), but it's good to know how to do it right.

Best of luck!

Steve W>

JP4
07-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Steve, thanks for the tips. I actually realize now that I have the 16k slider and not a 15k. Do you know where I can download the .PDF operating manual for it? I've looked and got my backside kicked. Great advice and I wish the dealer had provided me a copy after they installed it. :(

rigby
07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Steve, thanks for the tips. I actually realize now that I have the 16k slider and not a 15k. Do you know where I can download the .PDF operating manual for it? I've looked and got my backside kicked. Great advice and I wish the dealer had provided me a copy after they installed it. :(

JP4 -- I think this is it...
http://www.hitchpro.net/application/support/instructions/n30047.pdf

Cheers!
Steve W>

jsmith948
07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
We have a Reese round - tube slider with our 16k hitch.
I would find an empty parking lot (gravel or dirt will be easier on the trailer tires & suspension) and , with the help of a spotter, I would determine just how close to 90 deg the truck will "jacknife" under the trailer without coming in contact with the cab while the slider is in the travel (forward position).
Then determine how far the truck will jacknife under the trailer with the slider in the maneuver (rear) position.
This should help you to be able to judge whether or not you can make the turn into the campsite or around a tight fuel stop.
Other than that, make sure you always travel with the slider forward and the safety pin in the release handle. It is best to slide the slider when the truck is straight with the trailer and reasonably level side to side to avoid binding.
I have never had to lower the landing gear. Just apply the trailer brakes and EASE forward GENTLY until the slider latches.
DON'T ALLOW WELL INTENTIONED CAMPSITE HELPERS TO POSITION THEIR BODIES IN BETWEEN THE BED RAILS AND THE TRAILER.
Good Luck

rigby
07-19-2012, 03:02 PM
We have a Reese round - tube slider with our 16k hitch...
I have never had to lower the landing gear. Just apply the trailer brakes and EASE forward GENTLY until the slider latches.

jsmith -- Interesting... This is our first 5er, so we're still learning about all this too :)

I wonder how much your round tube slider reduces rolling resistance over the square tube one we have? Really had to give it a good 'jerk' with the TV to get it to start moving on ours w/o having that gear down a bit. Checked, and the rollers were pretty well greased so don't think that was an issue. Did you happen to check your manufacturers operating instructions to see if they recommeded lowering your LG or not? Would be interesting to see if that's a difference in operation between the two types or maybe ours is just 'stiff'.

Steve W>

jsmith948
07-19-2012, 03:29 PM
The round tubes are probably 2 1/2" in diameter. The rollers are are tapered or beveled to fit around the curve of the tube. The curved rollers, which are kept lubed, simply glide along the tubes with no chance of binding. The slider really works well.
By the way, I have to agree about the brake-a-way cable. If not routed correctly, it will definitely bring you to a stop while backing in to a campsite.:)

I don't have the manual handy, but, I do not recall anything about lowering the landing gear

Jack

JP4
07-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful info. I'll be picking up my 5th wheel on Sat to do some practice plus backing into my driveway. (tx)