PDA

View Full Version : To buy or rent a lot?

Devildogmom
07-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm looking for your comments and suggestions regarding buying or renting a lot for our fifth wheel. When we retire we are planning to go to East Texas for the winters and come back to Michigan in the summer.

I've been looking for lots to purchase in that area of Texas and haven't had any luck.

Any help would be much appreciated. (tx)

geo
07-18-2012, 06:09 AM
Devildogmom -

This may be something that might answer your quest, or it might not. I'm sure you realize that there are many RV groups, probably the best advertised is Good Sam. Another group is based out of Livingston, Texas (south east Texas about 60 miles northeast of Houston). This RV group is known as Escapees. The "home base" for Escapees is Rainbow's End RV Park in Livingston.

Select Escapees RV parks have two different programs in which you may be interested, and of course the "home base" Rainbow's End has both these programs. One program is that within Rainbow's End, there are a limited number of privately deeded lots available for purchase for Escapees members. Now these privately deeded lots are bought and sold by individuals, so the Escapees RV Club has no direct involvment - other than one needs to be an Escapees member to be within the RV park as an owner. (Minor detail there.) The other program is called ERPU (and I can't remember exactly what that is an abbreviation for). The ERPU program is a lot lease program. A limited number of RV lots may be leased by individuals at Rainbow's End for 5 years. At the end of 5 years, one may renew the lease for another 5 years. These lease rates are actually very reasonable.

There are other considerations that you might have an interest. I realize your heart and loyalty probably resides in Michigan, but there are certain attractions to Texas. We have no State Income Tax. Yes, real estate taxes are a little high in Texas, but unless the RV is "attached" to the land, it is considered personal property - so overall the developed lot taxes are low. The Escapees have a Mail Forwarding Service that is reliable and reasonable. The Escapees RV Club has also done all the "foot work" and tested the outcomes in the Courts of Polk County, utilizing the Escapees RV Club membership and the mail forwarding service, one can "establish domicile" in Polk County, Texas. They even have a flyer on their website on "How To Become A Texan".

OK, let's see if I can get myself out of trouble now. Please be aware that I AM an Escapees RV Club member. This means that my views may be biased. I have been a Texas resident for some 30+ years after escaping from a location a little further to the north. I do not own or lease a RV lot at any Escapees' park or facilities. I do plan to utilize the Escapees Mail Forwarding Service in the near future and do plan on maintaining Texas as my domicile for decades to come. This post is not meant to be an advertisement or advocate membership in any RV club or group. This post is for information only.

(So, did I wriggle my way out of trouble? :D )

Ron

hankpage
07-18-2012, 06:35 AM
I think you wriggled pretty good. :rolleyes: And was just answering a question.

Devildogmom
07-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Devildogmom -

This may be something that might answer your quest, or it might not. I'm sure you realize that there are many RV groups, probably the best advertised is Good Sam. Another group is based out of Livingston, Texas (south east Texas about 60 miles northeast of Houston). This RV group is known as Escapees. The "home base" for Escapees is Rainbow's End RV Park in Livingston.

Select Escapees RV parks have two different programs in which you may be interested, and of course the "home base" Rainbow's End has both these programs. One program is that within Rainbow's End, there are a limited number of privately deeded lots available for purchase for Escapees members. Now these privately deeded lots are bought and sold by individuals, so the Escapees RV Club has no direct involvment - other than one needs to be an Escapees member to be within the RV park as an owner. (Minor detail there.) The other program is called ERPU (and I can't remember exactly what that is an abbreviation for). The ERPU program is a lot lease program. A limited number of RV lots may be leased by individuals at Rainbow's End for 5 years. At the end of 5 years, one may renew the lease for another 5 years. These lease rates are actually very reasonable.

There are other considerations that you might have an interest. I realize your heart and loyalty probably resides in Michigan, but there are certain attractions to Texas. We have no State Income Tax. Yes, real estate taxes are a little high in Texas, but unless the RV is "attached" to the land, it is considered personal property - so overall the developed lot taxes are low. The Escapees have a Mail Forwarding Service that is reliable and reasonable. The Escapees RV Club has also done all the "foot work" and tested the outcomes in the Courts of Polk County, utilizing the Escapees RV Club membership and the mail forwarding service, one can "establish domicile" in Polk County, Texas. They even have a flyer on their website on "How To Become A Texan".

OK, let's see if I can get myself out of trouble now. Please be aware that I AM an Escapees RV Club member. This means that my views may be biased. I have been a Texas resident for some 30+ years after escaping from a location a little further to the north. I do not own or lease a RV lot at any Escapees' park or facilities. I do plan to utilize the Escapees Mail Forwarding Service in the near future and do plan on maintaining Texas as my domicile for decades to come. This post is not meant to be an advertisement or advocate membership in any RV club or group. This post is for information only.

(So, did I wriggle my way out of trouble? :D )

Ron

We sent for the information from Escapees'. Have you ever stayed at the Livingston location? We own some property in Holiday Shores in Coldspring. I lived in the Houston area for 23 years before moving to Michigan.

We noticed in the magazine they sent that they do not take reservations. Is there always space available at Rainbow's End?

We are planning to come to Onalaska for a couple weeks next March or April. We will definitely visit the park in Livingston. (tx)

geo
07-26-2012, 06:20 AM
We sent for the information from Escapees'. Have you ever stayed at the Livingston location? We own some property in Holiday Shores in Coldspring. I lived in the Houston area for 23 years before moving to Michigan.

We noticed in the magazine they sent that they do not take reservations. Is there always space available at Rainbow's End?

We are planning to come to Onalaska for a couple weeks next March or April. We will definitely visit the park in Livingston. (tx)

Devildogmom -

We have not stayed at Rainbow's End in Livingston yet. Hope to pay a visit this fall to personally check out the mail forwarding service first-hand. Some years back, we did drive past Rainbow's End (long before becoming an Escapee), and it was pretty good size. I believe that you are correct, Rainbow's End does not take reservations. But you could always call in advance and ask about availability.

We too have served our time in (southwest) Houston. (No offense to those currently in the Houston area!) The only time I return to Houston is on business. And then, my DW complains for weeks that I fall back into the Houston driving habits! :D That aside, if you are going to Onalaska, and if you don't camp at a park in Onalaska, then Rainbow's End will be close. It will also give you a chance to check out the privately owned and lease RV spaces.

I can say that Holiday Shores has some "healthy" deed restrictions! Considering Houston has no zoning laws, Holiday Shores almost evens it out!

Ron

chuckretnav
09-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Was reading your post. And I know that if you get a lot in a already made RV park you have a lot of advantage. But take a look into maybe just buy a 1/2 acre and put your own pad, septic etc on it. Also if there is a lake around the area you are looking at, check with the realtors and you probley may find a lot already made up for a RV that someone wants to sell off. Stick up the old mail box and call it home. Happy Trails