PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Store RV in FL

Pomkai
07-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Just purchased our first RV and we are super excited! I have read that it is best to store on concrete. What is the best way to store since we live in FL and we cannot store at our home? Most places are on grass or asphalt. Should we cover it? If so, with what type, brand, etc of cover? HELP? We just are scared of the damage from the hot sun! Tell me what your opinion is and why. Thanks!

Outbackmel
07-17-2012, 12:57 PM
The correct answer is take that pad and build a garage all around the RV :)

Now, we know that is not going to happen. No difference in FL than many others who have to endure very hot summers. RV's are built to withstand the weather. We are in the N GA mountains and (unlike this week) the sun shines and it is HOT in July/August/September. The main difference on what you park upon depends on the availabliity to you. We are on a 60 ft concrete pad. Other than spraying the outer perimeter and laying down ant repellant, NORMAL shut down procedures work well. There are many lists available in the forum through "search" that will take you there. I would say, COVER your tires with those tire cover doo dads....UV rays are harsh to tires and they do not have blockers like your roof materia. QUIT WORRYING, ENJOY YOUR RV.
:D

How many thousands of RV's sit on lots unsold for extended periods?.. PLENTY
They generally do not melt or disintegrate...:cool:

Pomkai
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I have just seen A LOT of delamination down here on fairly new models and I am worried about that! "bouncey:

hankpage
07-17-2012, 01:37 PM
The best way is to take it up north and stay in it for the summer. (Guess that would make you a Sun-Bird :D )

Back to reality: Get some good roof-vent covers. I prefer MaxAir smoke colored ( the smoke is more money cause it is polycarbonate) and leave your vents open enough to allow circulation. Cover South, West and East facing windows with the shiny faced bubble wrap insulation placed under your curtains. If you have sky lights you might want to cover them also. As Outbackmel suggested cover your tires and if possible get two sheets of pressure treated ½"x 2' x 4' plywood for under the tires ( that should fit unless you have a spread axle trailer. .... Cover all appliance vents with foil to keep wasps out. That's about all I can think of but I do the same up north.

Now stop worrying and enjoy, Hank ......... I don't like covers

Pomkai
07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Luckily, it should never sit for more than a month unused. :D Just didn't know if there were any precautions to take to help prevent things like delamination or other costly things. Unfortunately we have the sun and the humidity to deal with here! Going on our first adventure in a couple of weeks to Fort Wilderness at Disney "bouncey: So would asphalt be better than grass or shell because of moisture or is that just going to bake it more? Can't find any "concrete" storage around here. Thanks for all the input!