PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake??

g8er065
07-16-2012, 07:27 AM
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi that I am using to tow a 2012 Bullet 294BHS. Picked the camper up last friday and made our first trip. The truck did pretty well, but didn't like going up Fancy Gap mountain. I was told that I needed to add a cold air intake and that may help add some horse power. I am not looking to win any races as my average speed while driving is about 60MPH, even without towing. I am just looking for things that I can do to add a few horses and maybe help with MPG. Averaged about 10.

hankpage
07-16-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure if your looking for more HP or just helping a starving engine breathe at higher altitudes. Even though turbocharged engine is not affected as badly I had to modify my air intake box so it did not restrict flow. With stock box after a hard pull the "Filter minder" was pulled in at least half way. After mod it never moves. Seat of the pants feel is perhaps a little better but cool air from behind bumper should be helping also. No hard data but in theory should be helping. I'm not sure what it would do for a gas engine but I don't think it could hurt. JM2¢, Hank

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/34029/2310037130047821328S500x500Q85.jpg

Engine compartment is too crowded to allow photo after install. Parts are from plumbing dept. at any "Home" store. Of course ... the box is shown upside-down in the photo. :rolleyes:

lightning79
08-16-2012, 09:23 PM
A lot of Hemi guys go with a cold-air intake and aftermarket exhaust. www.dodgetalk.com is a great forum with tons of advice. Spend some time there searching.