PDA

View Full Version : Rubber sweeper on to of bedroom slide

rburckhart
03-10-2010, 06:13 AM
I have resolved most of the minor glitches on my Cougar, but one I haven't conquered is the rubber sweeper/seal on the roof of my bedroom slide - it doesn't want to flip when going in and out - it wants to stay in the "in" position and I have to manually dig it out.

I had one of my bright (?) ideas the other day. The bedroom slide has the narrow grit strips on the sides to flip the sweeper/seals as the slide moves. So...since the foof didn't have one of these strips, I went to Lowes and bought some 3/4" wide stair treds and applied them to the slide roof. I have to tell you - it REALLY caused the rubber to flip! But...it also caused the bed platform to jump up about 3 or 4 inches up - not good! Before I put the strips on the roof, I noticed the slide platform would jump a couple of inches when the side rubbers flipped, which kind of concerned me.

For now, I've put some white duct tape over the roof grippers because I don't want to wreck something - I'd rather have them not flip as opposed to ruining something! I think part of the problem is that the roof rubber extends out onto the roof surface quite a way - I would guess the at least 75% of the rubber is out on the roof. It is hard to even flip it by hand. Any ideas or comments out there?
Thanks
Dick

kevin
03-31-2010, 04:49 AM
First I would check to see if the slide is adjusted too high in the opening. Sounds like the sweep doesn't have enough room to start to bend or curl.

I have also hear of using a good silicone caulk. Put a bead on the surface and it will start the sweep to curl under. WARNING This was done on the side of a slide not the rubber roof. Only use recommended stuff on the rubber.

But my guess is the adjustment.

Jim W
04-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Is the unit new/still under warranty? If it is I would ask your dealer to look at it and resolve your issue. I know I had a few minor issues and the dealer fix them within a week.

Another solution is to put on slide toppers on, I had the dealer install three on my unit. I had them on my 2006, 5er and loved them. Will keep debris and water out of the camper, when the slide is retracted.

Just my $0.02