PDA

View Full Version : awning problem

Cindy & Stan Borostowski
07-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Hi just bought a new outback. The door rubs on the awning. the roller or wheel that is available wont fit under the rain gutter above the door. Any suggestions on how to prevent the door from rubbing.:(

SteveC7010
07-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Hi just bought a new outback. The door rubs on the awning. the roller or wheel that is available wont fit under the rain gutter above the door. Any suggestions on how to prevent the door from rubbing.:(

I am presuming that the door is at one end of the awning or the other? If so, raise that end so that the door just clears the fabric. Keep the other end lower. You want to do this anyway in most cases to insure that if it does rain, the rain will drain away instead of pooling in the fabric.

parkgirl
07-13-2012, 07:43 AM
We contacted Dometic because our electric awning, when fully extended, comes down very low and we built a deck on our seasonal site and now the awning is too low along the edge to walk under. We asked them if there is any way to raise up the awning because in the manual it only tells you how to lower one side for the rain. We also wondered if we could use the awning with it not fully extended because then it stays up higher. This was their reply:

"This would depend on what hardware you have. If you have standard hardware, then no there would be no way to make the pitch of the awning any less. If you have basement hardware, then you could switch out to standard and that would minimize the pitch. I would need a model number off of your awning arms to determine which you have. It is not recommended to use your awning without it being fully extended."

This was about their fourth response, each by a different person, and I had already sent model number information to one of the former repliers. I don't know what the difference is between standard and basement, so this is useless to me. Our dealer came to service the trailer for another issue and said just don't fully extend the awning as long as you don't leave it unattended. This option is working for us.

On a new trailer, your door shouldn't be touching the awning though, so I would contact your dealer or Dometic regarding that issue.

chivas
07-13-2012, 02:03 PM
I have an electric 2012 Alpine with an awning. Why is it not recommended to partially put out the awning?

randy69
07-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Some areas are very windy in the afternoon. So what we do is, Bring up the awning where we have some shade. Because if you leave it out all the way the wind will rip it off. And 3 foot out from the roof wind dosn't bother it as much.

hankaye
07-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Cindy & Stan Borostowski, Howdy;

Might I suggest you simply 'raise the Gutter' a 1/2" or so to allow the roller to
fit.
Be sure you clean off all of the old sealant and apply fresh sealant to fill the
holeswhere the gutter used to be and seal around the gutter in it's new and
improved location... :D

hank

rhagfo
07-15-2012, 04:08 PM

Is this all the time or only is in a lower setting?

Our rubs lightly also, but just lightly, rounded door top I don't see a difference with that or a roller.

Harley Hauler
07-26-2012, 05:16 AM
When we had our Outback 29BHS the only way to keep it from rubbing was to angle it up. There wasn't a lot of room between the top of the door an where the awning was mounted and it was mounted rite at the top of the trailer. So for 4 years it rubbed an had no problems. Then sold it an bought Fuzion 260.

TAZ23
07-27-2012, 12:21 AM
We have a new Outback 320bh and the awning will rub if fully extended but the dometic awning instructions that came with the camper (not the Keystone owners manual) say to to retract the awning after fully extending it to the point where the fabric enters the tube at the very top. Once we do this the awning is raised enough to allow us to angle the other end for rain run off and still have door clearance.
When fully extended the awning tube actually has the fabric on the inside(trailer side) of the tube and is lowering the awning.
You will only need to retract about 2-3 inches and this will give you the needed clearance and will give you better rain run off as the fabric will be straight over the tube and not sagging behind it.