PDA

View Full Version : All the tire discussions have me terrified AND confused.

X-Treme
07-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Ok. So... I have these "dreaded" (as everyone is calling them) Powerking Towmax's tires on my Alpine and have been hearing pretty much nothing but bad things about them, and now I'm almost scared to take my trailer on another trip. Now, it seems like most, if not all, are suggesting going with Maxxis tires. A lot of talk about staying away, with every ounce of our being, from Chinese tires. So, today, I phone one of our tire distributors (I own an auto repair business) and ask about Maxxis tires. Guy asks me why I want to go to Maxxis so badly, so I tell him that I wanna stay away from the "Chinese crap". He tells me that Maxxis tires are manufactured in China by the Cheng Shin Rubber company. As a matter of fact, if you Google that company, the very first Search that comes up is Maxxis tires.

So, now, what gives? Now, what the heck am I supposed to do? Park it and never take it out again?

Help!!!

CWtheMan
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Maxxis trailer tires are made in Thailand and Taiwan. However, Maxxis has their largest tire plant and test facility is in mainland China.

The TowMax tires have been abused by many of the trailer manufacturers just like the Marathons were before them. The new TowMax STR tires are much improved. They now have added nylon overlays - like Maxxis did - and have a free roadside assistance program. They also increased their warranty to four years. I’ve been running on TowMax ST235/80R16E tires since 2005. I’m on a second complete set and have not had a failure other than a cut sidewall two years ago. My GAW - scaled - is right at 11,400# on 6000# axles. So I have a nice 23% load capacity reserve above GAW and 17% load capacity reserve above GAWR. It works.

CW

Halibutman214
07-12-2012, 05:56 AM
I had the same question awhile back and if you check my post you will see this is way overblown. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6111&highlight=towmax. I'm headed to Alaska and after reading many of these posts I started thinking I should change out my tires. In addition to this informal survey I talked to 5 different tire dealers in my area and they all said pretty much the same thing, there are just as many tire failures with Maxxis as there are with Power Max. 90% of the failures are caused by improper inflation and/or overloading combined with excessive speed. Two of these dealers sold Maxxis. I think you will find the same thing if you call around a bit and ask tire dealers if Towmax is an inferior tire. It's just not the case.

azlee56
07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
My head has been swimming as well, but I really enjoyed reading CW's blog. Click on the site that is in his signature. It really is an interesting read.

Halibutman214
07-12-2012, 06:25 AM
My head has been swimming as well, but I really enjoyed reading CW's blog. Click on the site that is in his signature. It really is an interesting read.

Ditto! I missed the link in my first read. May I make a suggestion. Anytime a post is made with the word "tire", anywhere in it the user is forced to this blog and must first read it before being allowed to post.
I didn't think an Airdale could be so wordy:). Great blog!
BTCS (SW) USN Retired

MIKEPATC
07-12-2012, 06:49 AM
You will find that forums seem to be for all things bad and very little is for when things are going well. It is good to be aware of what could go wrong and take care of your stuff accordingly. I am monitoring my tires with my TST TPMS. So far the trailer Tomax tires are performing well. My truck tires vary more than the trailer. Keep the pressures right, watch your speed and don't overload. :)

geo
07-12-2012, 07:46 AM
X-treme -

No matter what the subject, you will always find someone who will "tell you that you are wrong and this is exactly what you should do". Personally, I gave up on these personality types long ago. Do what you feel is right. What is right for you. If I remember correctly, you said on another thread that you check the air pressure and inspect your tires regularly. Also, didn't you also mention that you abide by the tire manufacturer's suggested speed limitations? If you do that, and are happy with the performance of your tires . . . what else do you need? There are RV owners who like the Power King tires and have very good experiences. There are those who like Maxxis, Michelin, Goodyear, etc. And probably everyone will have an opinion and a few will insist you do what they tell you.

I thought the information given on Goodyear's "Tire Care & Maintenance" website is timely. It is not specifically geared to only Goodyear tires as can be seen in their first paragraph: "Goodyear, the tire industry, the automotive industry, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Transport Canada have long emphasized the consumers' role in the regular care and maintenance of tires, including decisions regarding removal of tires. That is why it is recommended to have tires, including spare tires, inspected regularly." Note the phrase, " . . . emphasized the consumer's role . . . " Here is the link to that information: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-care-maintenance.aspx

Perhaps Shakespeare phrased it best: "To thine own self be true". Take all the information, digest it, and do what you are most comfortable with and believe is correct.

Ron

Outbackmel
07-12-2012, 07:46 AM
These circular discussions will continue. I have plenty of camping friends who have had tire failures for whatever reason. As others have stated, a properly set up, weight distributed RV, tires balanced, good tread, lug nuts properly torqued, correct air pressure for your departure and considering weather, etc to where you are going, reduces risk; period.

Yes, tires can fail and will fail. Issues are not restricted to rv's. A friend lost his wife on a motorcycle on I 95 in Florida at 60mph on a Sunday morning from a surprise blow out on a fairly new tire. Threw both off the bike and she passed from brain swelling. (wearing helmets and protective gear)

Point is S_ _ _ happens to all of us. Let's be cautious as we do our RV travels by first making sure we have taken all of the pre trip checks BEFORE we hit the road. I am amazed when I see fifth wheels sloped way down or way high when rolling down the interstate at 75+ mph. TT's swaying all over the road when a truck passes or I have to pass because they are scared to death driving only 45 mph, white knuckled.

Best advice, stay the H _ _ _ away from them! There is no cure for STUPID!

AND finally, if you are afraid to tow that thing, PLEASE STAY HOME and camp in your yard. Pretend you traveled 500 miles and are in a park or some place.
Cover your windows with pictures of calm scenes and drink a six pack of cool ones. At the end of your vacation, you will be surprised at how fast you made it home, without any towing or tire issues!!:rofl:

Seriously, I enjoy the comments I receive when I post on this forum and believe it offers "well intentioned" advice. A couple of times I have used it for quick responses and found them to jump start my thinking to things I simply overlooked when attempting to resolve a problem. 99% of campers I am referring to above DO NOT use this forum. The other 1%, well, you know...:)

Jim W
07-12-2012, 10:11 AM
I am a retired engineer and I am on many different forums such as this one, RV Net and IRV2.Com. Chinese tires are always discussed and complain about on how they fail so easily and the damage they do.

So with that information in mind when I purchased a 2010, 318SAB Cougar I bought the optional 16" tires that Keystone offered they were ST235/80R16 tire. I also bought an IF heat gun to measure the tire temperatures when towing along with that I also check air pressure every morning before we start out towing the 5er. I also check static wheel nut torque at this time too.

Last year we had a tire failure in Kearney NE, 10 minutes after leaving the campground. I do not know what caused this tire failure, but it did almost $3k in damage to the trailer. After that experience I decided on Michelins XPRIBS, LT245/75R/16E tire would be installed on the trailer. Michelin rates these tires as an all position tire IE trailer, steer axle and or drive axle. These tires are rated at 3042 LBS at 80 PSI. This is more than enough tire for my 318SAB Cougar, since I have 6,000 LB axles on the trailer.
Sorry for the long post but just wanted to provide another tire for you to look at.
Jim W.

DocData757
07-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Michelin makes a ST235/85R16 E. Any reason you went with the 245/75R16s?

Just curious since I will replace mine in the near future was was looking at the 235/85.

..and just to get myself more confused.

The Michelin's are rated at 3042# per tire with a top speed of 75. The Maxxis is rated for 3420 and 65 mph.

My Alpine's tags shows GVAW of 3420 (per axle).

???

Thanks,

Jim W
07-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Dave,
I am also a member of Turbo Diesel Register.com. There are several members on that forum who have had several years of towing experience, both as towing for RV manufactures and towing their own 5ers. All of them have had nothing but good things to say about Michelins XPRIBS, most have gotten 5 to 6 years life out of their tires.
I also did research on the Michelin XPRIBS myself as far as life goals and failure rates are concerned. The Michelin XPRIBS have the lowest failure rate in the market place today in my opinion. The tires are a commercial highway truck tire that has a third steel belt imbed into the tire that will protect against punctures, also providing longer wear life with a deeper tread than the standard ST tire.
Now the Alpine GVAW are you sure that they are only rated for 3420 per axle? My axles on the Cougar are 6000 LBs axles but since the trailer was standard with 15" tires the GVAW is 5200 LBS each on the weight placard.
So I could easily use the 3042 LBS rated tire of the Michelin XPRIBS, since two tires together will support 6084 LBS. I also choose the XPRIBS for the cross sectional area since they are only 1" (one) larger than the ST235/80R/16E tire and will fit in to the wheel well of the trailer with clearance between the frame and tire.
Jim W.

Halibutman214
07-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Dave,
in my opinion. Jim W.We all have one. That's what I like about CW's blog, it's not "just opinion", he's got a lot of facts to back it up.

smiller
07-12-2012, 02:09 PM
I think you will find the same thing if you call around a bit and ask tire dealers if Towmax is an inferior tire. It's just not the case.Then Maxxis wastes a lot of material when they build their tires. If you compare the sidewall (with the tire off the rim) of equivalent Towmax and Maxxis tires you will see what I mean. Does the readily observable heavier construction of the Maxxis tire make it more reliable? I don't know for sure but I know what my assumption would be.

I'm not trying to slam Towmax, I had a set and didn't experience any problems. I do think it is incorrect to say that the number of reported failures of the two brands is the same though, or at least that is certainly not what my own research indicated. YMMV.

pjhansman
07-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I have the Towmax tires on my 5ver. Almost 12k miles without issue.

That being said, I check tire pressures every time it goes on the road. I also visually check for cracks or bulges, and "hand check" tire temps at each stop during the day.

And I very rarely exceed 65mph (unlike when I drive my Hemi :D)

And I expect when I replace them I'll be going to the Michelin Ribs.

DocData757
07-12-2012, 04:47 PM
My placards shows 15500# for GVW with each axle carrying 6840#. I have 7000# axles. I just double checked. So, it seems the RIBs will not work for me. The Maxxis may be how I have to go.

Interestingly enough, the TowMax are rated at 100# more than the Maxxis but I did not find a max speed. I've sent in an email.

CWtheMan
07-12-2012, 06:01 PM
My placards shows 15500# for GVW with each axle carrying 6840#. I have 7000# axles. I just double checked. So, it seems the RIBs will not work for me. The Maxxis may be how I have to go.

Interestingly enough, the TowMax are rated at 100# more than the Maxxis but I did not find a max speed. I've sent in an email.

You have - what I call - a Keystone catch-22 trailer. That’s mainly because they were locked up with Goodyear as their OEM tire supplier during the time of many production models having GVW above 6000# but somewhat less than 7000#. The 16” marathon LRE is rated at 3420#. So, Keystone would then set the 7000# axles at 6750# (but, as you say it’s 6840 on your label), and put that value on the certification label. (It’s legal because that particular regulation requires the vehicle manufacturer to set the GAWR and certify it). You do not have to match the actual axles load capacity, just what’s on the certification label. Keystone is pretty good at following the regulations. The problem is it allows them to skimp on tires and has caused a lot of grief among their buyers.

There are zero suitable 16” LRE LT tires for fitment on your axles as certified. It’s more ST tires, move up to the LRG 16” LT tires or some 17.5” LRF or LRG low profile truck trailer tires. All of those options are going to require new rims.

All ST tires have a 65 MPH speed limit unless a manufacturer such as Carlisle has stipulated something less in their tire data book. To be fair, their new Radial Trail tires are rated at 65 MPH, according to their new video.

CW

p.s. Thanks to those of you that have commented on my blog. I put a lot of time in making it as accurate as the available information will allow. Many of the TRA procedures are not found on the internet so I have to look for members to squeeze the information from.

On edit: I’ve been to three major RV shows this year researching certification labels and Goodyear Marathon tires. Keystone is not the only one abusing them. Goodyear has taken a lot of really bad raps on internet forums about their Marathons going POP. People have a tendency to overload their trailers when the use them just like they do their cars and trucks on trips. Cars and trucks have a built-in load capacity reserves - by regulations - that RV trailers don’t have. Here is a certification label from another manufacturer.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=20839

I’ve also done some research on suitable replacement tires for these odd certification GAWRs. This in no way is an endorsement of this line of tires. It’s just one of many found on the market with the design, load capacity and overall dimensions to replace the ST tires.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/ry103

geo
07-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I cannot say this for all Alpine models or for all Keystone models . . .

On the 2011 Alpine 3640RL model, the Lippert I-beam frame upon which the RV is constructed, there is an empty (unused) shock bracket located behind the port front tire and the starboard rear tire. If one starts changing tire profile or rim size, this bracket may or may not be a problem. I would encourage one to check the clearance between this bracket and the tire accordingly.

Ron

chris199
07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Have to confess I was intimidated by tire horror stories. Prior to a trip from SE PA to TN ordered the TST TPMS. Put monitors on 2 rear truck tires and all 4 trailer tires. Drove 60 o 62 mph down and back. Pressures and temps were very constant once they warmed up. Got a temp alarm on one only because I didn't set the alarm correctly. Getting the alarm was reassuring. I figure the drop from 70 mph to 60 mph over 1100 miles cost me 4 hrs or so addl travel time. We don't take many 12 hr eah way trips...if we did id want to upgrade my tires. For now...slow and safe.

DocData757
07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I am getting (have gotten) discouraged. It seems to get a good tire, I have to change the rims which is really going to drive the price up not to mention the possibility of reducing the clearance between my rig and the tires to an unsafe amount.

If I were to go with the Yokohama tires (a brand I have had great experience with on vehicles BTW), I would need the new rims, obviously. This is going to cost around $2400. The only long haul I have planned for the future is from FL to Alaska so I have to bite the bullet and go with it (one I am sure I have the clearance for it).

So, speaking of clearance, what so of dimension am I looking for?

chivas
07-13-2012, 10:04 AM
I personally went with the Maxxis because I have a 2102 Alpine and because of the weight I did not have much of a choice without going to different rim size. Did not want the Goodyear Marathon or Carlise. Too much bad press.

I recently had a blowout with the Towmax tires. Caused 2.5K in damage.......... Not overloaded, correct tire pressure, drove under 65, and they were only 10 months old. Now I am going to monitor with TST TPMS.

Everyone has to make the choice. If these do not work I will buy Rickson 17.5 rims and some G rated tires. Then install shock on my 5th so it does not shake apart.

DocData757
07-13-2012, 10:04 AM
I cannot say this for all Alpine models or for all Keystone models . . .

On the 2011 Alpine 3640RL model, the Lippert I-beam frame upon which the RV is constructed, there is an empty (unused) shock bracket located behind the port front tire and the starboard rear tire. If one starts changing tire profile or rim size, this bracket may or may not be a problem. I would encourage one to check the clearance between this bracket and the tire accordingly.

Ron

Can you post a photo showing what you are talking about? I see nothing on mine that would interfere with the tire. The closest I come to structural part is the bracket the holds the folding steps and a half in increase in radius should not cause any issue there.

Thanks,

DocData757
07-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I personally went with the Maxxis because I have a 2102 Alpine and because of the weight I did not have much of a choice without going to different rim size. Did not want the Goodyear Marathon or Carlise. Too much bad press.

I recently had a blowout with the Towmax tires. Caused 2.5K in damage.......... Not overloaded, correct tire pressure, drove under 65, and they were only 10 months old. Now I am going to monitor with TST TPMS.

Everyone has to make the choice. If these do not work I will buy Rickson 17.5 rims and some G rated tires. Then install shock on my 5th so it does not shake apart.

Could you make a point to keep us up to date on your experience with the Maxxis tires? $800 vs $2400 (for the 17.5 tires plus rims) is a lot of difference.

Thanks

chivas
07-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Could you make a point to keep us up to date on your experience with the Maxxis tires? $800 vs $2400 (for the 17.5 tires plus rims) is a lot of difference.

Thanks

I will. Unfortunately, I live in California and the $800.00 is actually $1,000.00. I was going to the Ricksons but the $2,400.00 plus installation of the shocks were more than I could bear. I just put on Rickson 19.5 rims and tires on the truck to the tune of 3K.

I am getting the Maxxis installed Saturday and then Sunday installing the TST TPMS. Maiden voyage about a week later.

golfpro
07-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I understand from other forums that carlisle tires are making tires in the USA now. I would check the tire casing before I paid for them.

geo
07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Can you post a photo showing what you are talking about? I see nothing on mine that would interfere with the tire. The closest I come to structural part is the bracket the holds the folding steps and a half in increase in radius should not cause any issue there.

Thanks,

Dave -

Sure. I can post a couple. I have one pic from a member Alpinecummin. I'll take a pic of mine when I'm over there tomorrow and post it too. Try to have them online tomorrow night.

Have you considered the Goodyear G614? They can run at LRE (80#) per Goodyear's instruction. Just a thought.

Ron

DocData757
07-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Have you considered the Goodyear G614? They can run at LRE (80#) per Goodyear's instruction. Just a thought.

Ron

I'm just starting to get my head into this tire game and right now its going in circles.

Question... would the LT235/85R16 G Goodyear 614's require new rims?

Dave

geo
07-13-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm just starting to get my head into this tire game and right now its going in circles.

Question... would the LT235/85R16 G Goodyear 614's require new rims?

Dave

Dave,

They did not require new rims on my 2011 3640RL. I did get new metal valve stems, and balancing, of course. Per Goodyear's specs, I'm running them at LRE.

Ron

DocData757
07-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I didn't see that pressure setting on the GY website. Did it come with the tires? If not, where did you find that number?

Thanks

geo
07-14-2012, 07:32 AM
I didn't see that pressure setting on the GY website. Did it come with the tires? If not, where did you find that number?

Thanks

Dave -

Go to http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-inflation-loading.aspx, and on the right, click on "Download Load Weight Inflation Table". It's a pdf file.

Ron

DocData757
07-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Excellent! It looks like I would need 95 psi to get the weight handling capacity to match the certification tag on the Alpine. 80psi give 3042 but as said previously, the Cert tag shows 3420. Are the rims on the Alpine rated for that much pressure?

geo
07-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Excellent! It looks like I would need 95 psi to get the weight handling capacity to match the certification tag on the Alpine. 80psi give 3042 but as said previously, the Cert tag shows 3420. Are the rims on the Alpine rated for that much pressure?

Dave -

Mine were. I know another 3640RL owner who also had the higher pressure rims. As others have said, "Your mileage may vary", so it's time for the flashlight and a crawl to the underbelly! :D

Ron

DocData757
07-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Crawling is not a problem. Where do I look?

geo
07-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Crawling is not a problem. Where do I look?

Dave -

From one of our members, Alpinecummin: "I had the same question on my Alpine rims and I contacted Keystone to see if the rims were rated at 80 or 110 psi. They could not answer the question so they gave me the number to their vendor. I contacted the vendor and they told me to look on the backside of the rim for a stamp. If 3250 was stamped on the rim it was a 80 psi "E" rated rim. If 3750 was stamped on the rim it is 110 psi "G" rated rim."

As far as the shock brackets, here's a couple of pictures. The starboard picture was taken from the rear looking forward, and the port picture is taken from the front looking rearward.

Ron

DocData757
07-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Ok, lets see if I can ask this correctly...

Take a tire like the 614 that is LRG but can be run at different pressures for different LR's.
What is the effect in running it at a lower pressure with weight on it higher than the associated LR for that psi but not anywhere near the upper LR of G?

Tire is a LRG. Running at LRE (which says 3042 per tire) with actual weight of 3400 per tire.

????

Thanks!

DocData757
07-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Not making much progress. My rims are stamped '865' on all of them on the side edge of the rim and that is the only numbers I can find on it.

BTW, I have those shock absorber brackets There are a total of 4, one per tire.

geo
07-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Not making much progress. My rims are stamped '865' on all of them on the side edge of the rim and that is the only numbers I can find on it.

Dave -

Well, first off I think I can say we have some differences between our Alpine models. I know that can be classified as "Duh"! :D Al and I only have one shock bracket per side, not two (or one per tire). The "865" I can't help with either. Might be a call to Keystone Customer Service or the rim manufacturer?

For your previous question . . . not really sure on the question. I'm a little surprised that CW hasn't answered. One definite item, you probably should get your RV weighed, per axle, to know for sure the load you are placing on each axle. (Tire pressures should match per axle, and in this case, probably across axles.) Some places will give you the weight per tire. I know the Escapees do this at Livingston, TX and their ralleys with SmartWeight. It is the air pressure that actually supports the load, the tire just acts to contain that air pressure. But containing that pressure can be a challenge with the stresses placed on the tire, etc. Run the tire with too little air pressure, or too much air pressure - problems! As CW has mentioned and is within his blog (which is very good!), some tire manufacturers do have inflation tables and different load ratings for their tires. The Alpine does have a high "personal load" capability, right around 3000 pounds! So depending upon what you have in the way of personal items/food/etc. . . need to get a good weight reading. If the inflation matches the weight load, then the tire will be running down the road within the correct "foot print" and specs. As I said before, my tires were about 10 degreesF cooler than the old TowMax on a recent trip.

If I remember correctly, forum member mhs4771 ran G614s on their previous Montana and the present Thor RV. You might PM them and ask about long term usage and their experience.

Overall, however, I believe that all of us could benefit by pulling in to the CAT Scales and getting weighed, or visiting an Escapees function and getting a SmartWeight. I tend to doubt if many of us know the exact (or even approximate) weight of what is following us down the road.

Ron

chivas
07-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Well I installed the Maxxis tires this weekend and the TPMS and everything looks good. I am going on a short trip this weekend. While installing the tires look what was on the inside of one of my TowMax tires. A golf ball size bubble. Do not know how I missed that. The TPMS system seems to be about 1.7 psig higher than my calibrated gauge.

On another note, my 2012 Alpine aluminum rims were stamped, "Max Load 3580". The Maxxis tire is rated for 3420 at 80psig. I am not worried because I have weighed everything and I doubt the trailer police will care.

Trailer axles while attached to truck 11,300--2825 per tire
Total weight of trailer not attached to truck 14,140
Trailer hitch weight 2,840

I almost went to the Goodyear 614's but was concerned about shaking the camper apart. Plus I do not have shocks and I would recommend it to anyone who runs the 614s to install shocks. I did not want to create another problem years down the road.

chivas
07-16-2012, 08:01 AM

You might have to remove the tire to see it. It will be stamped on the inside of one of the spokes.

smiller
07-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Well I installed the Maxxis tires this weekend and the TPMS and everything looks good. I am going on a short trip this weekend. While installing the tires look what was on the inside of one of my TowMax tires. A golf ball size bubble.
:eek:

You probably just saved yourself enough (from your next trip when the tire would have blown) to pay for the Maxxis.

DocData757
07-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Ok... making some progress. My rims have...

MAX LOAD
3580 LBS

...cast into the metal on the backside of one of the spokes.

So, if I am understanding all this, I should be able to change to 614's on my existing rims, inflate to 95# for LRF and get the proper foot print and load capacity.

Yes?

geo
07-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Ok... making some progress. My rims have...

MAX LOAD
3580 LBS

...cast into the metal on the backside of one of the spokes.

So, if I am understanding all this, I should be able to change to 614's on my existing rims, inflate to 95# for LRF and get the proper foot print and load capacity.

Yes?

Dave -

I guess I'll go out on the limb here . . . :rolleyes: If that the weight, etc., then I would say "Yes". What I will say is that I am pleased with my own decision to get G614s. Let's see if anyone else chimes in. Even Hank has been quiet! :rolleyes:

Oh, do check the clearance between the tires and those shock brackets. The G614 have a slightly wider profile.
Ron

DocData757
07-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Dave -

Oh, do check the clearance between the tires and those shock brackets. The G614 have a slightly wider profile.
Ron

I've got about an 1" to 1.25" clearance.

Do you know what the speed rating is for the 614's?

Thanks,

geo
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
I've got about an 1" to 1.25" clearance.

Do you know what the speed rating is for the 614's?

Thanks,

I believe it is 65 mph. I usually set the cruise control right above
60 so I can claim "I'm only doin' a 100!" (100 kph). :D

Ron

DocData757
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Did some more searching and found this...
http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/truck/datapage.cfm?prodline=160007

75mph

1stgmc
07-19-2012, 07:13 AM
I guess the question is will the rims (3580 lbs) handle the 110 psi air pressure safely? And if not at what pressure can they handle?

DocData757
07-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Yes, that would be good to know but since I don't need to go that high, I just need to be sure it will handle 95 psi (which will give me the max load capacity I need for my rig).

1stgmc
07-19-2012, 08:25 AM
I agree Also would Goodyears tire inflation chart work with most "G" rated tires ?

geo
07-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I agree Also would Goodyears tire inflation chart work with most "G" rated tires ?

1stgmc -

That is a very good question. I do not know an answer. Maybe CWtheman will see this post and give his thoughts. But as a guess, I would say "no". The reason for this negative is it is easy to directly observe that different tire manufacturers construct their tires to different standards. For example, there have been references made to just the weight of a tire - Power King TowMax versus Maxxis for example. The Maxxis tire weighs 10+ pounds more than a TowMax. Other factors could be type of material in the ply, sidewall plys and material type, etc. Actually, CWtheman does address part of this question in his blog - that a few tires are rated for different inflation pressures and load ranges.

Ron

CWtheMan
07-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, that would be good to know but since I don't need to go that high, I just need to be sure it will handle 95 psi (which will give me the max load capacity I need for my rig).

OK, let me help this along a little with some facts. Nobody in the retail tire industry likes the prospect of having to do the LT to ST or ST to LT thing because it’s so hard to do correctly. Correctly also flabbergasts prospective buyers and speculators. The disparity between tire pressure and load capacity of two tires of the same size - see example - will almost always cause the ST to LT buyer to also purchase new rims. And as you have already found out, 96 psi (you need the extra 1 psi to be greater than the OE tire’s load capacity) will become your new recommended tire pressure for the G614s and you need to make a notation of the new pressure and the tire size it is assonated with in your owner’s manual because it is the standard for that trailer. Adjusting tire pressers upward from that figure for load balancing or excess axle end weights etc. can be increased from your new standard but not decreased no matter what the GAW is. Everything can go up from the recommended tire pressure but not down - exceptions withstanding.

Like all large industrial originations driven by government regulations things will just keep moving on. Some times they will bite you in the pocketbook.

Hypothetical: Your tire installer is certified and qualified. His supervisor assigns him the task of installing a new set of tires on your existing rims and provides the installer with the new set of tires. After inspecting the materials/equipment he is going to be working with, the installer returns to his supervisor to report the owners rims are stamped with a 3042# load capacity and even though they qualify for the 80 psi he cannot install tires with a load capacity of 3520# on them. The supervisor is in the vice. OSHA does not allow him to put his installer in peril - see the reference.

Using the right materials and equipment for the job at hand is paramount to the safety of all. Yep, I dabbled a bit in civilian industrial management.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=20708

Example:

LT235/85R16E has a standard load capacity of 3042# at 80 psi.
ST235/85R16E has a standard load capacity of 3640# at 80 psi.

CW

p.s. Here is a small bit of background information.

http://militaryaircraft-by-fasteagle.blogspot.com/2011/06/f4-b.html

DocData757
07-20-2012, 04:45 AM
ST235/85R16E has a standard load capacity of 3640# at 80 psi.
[/URL]

So who makes a reliable ST23585R6E with a capacity of 3640#?

smiller
07-20-2012, 07:56 AM
The only reliable ST tire (judging by lack of reports of problems, I don't think I've ever seen a report of a blowout) seems to be the 10-ply (E-range) Maxxis. All the other options (either off-brand or the more well-known such as the Carlisle or Marathon) seem to have an unacceptably high failure rate.

DocData757
07-23-2012, 10:03 AM
I learned from Tredit today that the rims on my Alpine (T03) are rated at only 80psi so it will either be stay with the Towmax, go to Maxxis or replace rims and tires. Probably going with the Maxxis when I do it but that's a ways off. I want new tires on my rig when I go to Alaska and that is 2 summers off.

chivas
07-24-2012, 08:37 AM
OK, since I replaced my Towmax, after the blowout, with Maxxis everything is going great. I have 2 short trips with them and also installed a Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) on the tires. The TPM is awesome. I can tell what is going on with the tire at anytime. I love it. The tires pull good also.

After I bought the Maxxis, I was concerned I was just replacing with more junk and should have spent the extra money to get heavy duty rims and tires but I am happy with what I got.:D"bouncey::D"bouncey:

CWtheMan
07-24-2012, 09:44 AM
OK, I give-up. I use this reference often. It surely is more relevant in this forum than any other.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/manual/Chapter%2010%20-%20Tire%20Safety.pdf

CW

geo
07-24-2012, 03:10 PM
OK, I give-up. I use this reference often. It surely is more relevant in this forum than any other.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/manual/Chapter%2010%20-%20Tire%20Safety.pdf (http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/manual/Chapter%2010%20-%20Tire%20Safety.pdf)

CW

CW -
I agree. There is a reason the manufacturer, Keystone in this case, places a tag/sticker stating the Recommended Tire Pressure based on the Vehicle Ratings. This pressure has nothing to do with the Maximum Air Pressure cast into the sidewall of the tire. Seems like the confusing point is Maximum versus Recommended. I agree with you, probably should use what Keystone Recommends, no matter what the Maximum is on the sidewall. If the tire is rated for different Load Ranges, then use the Load Range that matches the vehicle. As Recommended. Otherwise, get a tire with the proper Load Range. What the Maximum Pressure rating is on the tire or on the rim doesn't matter - use the Recommended values the Manufacturer gives. Even if you want to over-design and waste some money, bottom line is to go with the Sticker Recommended Values.

Ron

smiller
07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
A tire will run cooler at higher pressures and as long as tread wear is even I don't see why one would run them at a lower value. Interestingly the maximum capacity of the four ST235/80-16E tires on my unit is 30% above the max. gross weight, yet Keystone still says to run them at max. pressure (80 psi.) So in my case I guess I get to do what I want and follow manufacturer's recommendations at the same time. :D

LittleJoe
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Agree with S.Miller

Funny how Keystone recommends balancing tires, yet they do not come balanced from the factory. Balancing will go a long way to preserve your trailer and tire life.