PDA

View Full Version : How many people have a short BBQ gas hose?

fireidiot
07-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Ok I know this is petty, but it irritated me a little.

On our first trip out, I put the Flame king on the moveable bracket on the bumper and found out the hose that comes with it is too short. So I had to grill out the backside of the camper, not at the location of the rear kitchen. So I called my dealer and he said he would have his service dept look at it. Well.......Keystroke said that the hose length was correct. I called and spoke with someone at Keystroke and they said due to RIVA codes that it had to be that way. I asked why did they put a moving bracket on the back? No answer. I also asked why the connection is in the middle of the rear of the camper? No answer. Lastly I asked why the connection for the grill and the outside stove are two different sizes, so even if I wanted to move the grill to the side I can't. Again, you guessed it, no answer. I'm really irritated over this. I paid a lot of money for this camper and for them to put options on that I can't correctly use makes me MAD!!

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem. I think I'm going to call them back again tomorrow and see if I can talk to an Engineer to get to the bottom of this.

BTW, I know it's less than a 50 dollar fix for a new hose but it's the principal of the matter.

wgb1
07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
I have the RVQ grill that mounts on the side of the camper and what kinda irritates me is that I have to lay on the ground to reach up under the trailer to plug in the hose and then the hose just BARELY is long enough to reach. If it was 1/2" shorter, it would not work. It always looks like it is stretched tight when both ends are plug in.

Bob Landry
07-13-2012, 05:29 AM
It's easy to extend the QC to the edge of the trailer. All it takes is a 1/2" pipe nipple from HD, some yellow thread tape, and about 5 minutes.

Badboy
08-16-2012, 02:37 AM
I have a Cougar 31 RKS and I have the same problem with my gas hose to the grill on the swing arm,can not use it when I swing it to the side,bad design. :(

Linwoodrver
08-16-2012, 03:26 AM
I recently purchased a new 31sqb and was just as irritated as you when I ran into the same issue. My dealer was very helpful and ,after calling keystone only to learn what you did.... That they purposely make them that short.... They agreed that it was ridiculous and took another line from one of their TT on the lot and connected them together for me. They just charged me a couple of bucks for the connection they needed at HD.

JRTJH
08-16-2012, 04:46 AM
RVIA (sounds impressive) is a set of "industry standards" conceived to "protect the purchaser" from "unscrupulous" manufacturers. So now, we pay $125 for a sticker (that may or may not fade/curl) that certifies our RV was "built to code". Hmmmmm

Years ago, the health care industry came up with JCAHO, Joint Commission on Accrediation of Healthcare Organizations. It was supposed to function as a means to assure minimum standards were met to provide insurance companies a means to "know" their payments were being used to treat the patient. Over the years, like RVIA, it grew to "powerful independence" and now hospitals are paying millions of dollars to paint, clean and camoflage "issues" to meet JCAHO ideals.

I've often questioned some of RVIA's standards. One is the requirement to put a smoke detector "right over the stove" now, here's another, "to shorten the propane quick disconnect hose so it isn't a trip hazard"

Sometimes, it appears that we humans demand (or go along with) some of the most insane things.......

Why should we, the purchaser pay Keystone $125 for them to "certify" that the trailer meets RVIA code? Isn't that the manufacturer's responsibility? And now, our hose is too short because ??????

Like some have said, the owner's manual would be only 10 pages long (and useful) if we could keep the lawyers out of it......

Like Bob said, next time you lay on the ground to connect it, carry along a pipe wrench, some pipe tape and a 10" black pipe nipple and fix RVIA's "issue".

numbnu7s
07-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Same problem, simple solution...

first off, I agree that the length of the hose is limited to meet "safety guidelines".

Second, go to amazon and buy one of these. Daisy chain them together and you have the flexibility you need.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E62OI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously, do this at your own risk just in case there is a valid safety reason.

Bob Landry
07-07-2013, 04:20 AM
The rationale that a longer hose is a trip hazard sounds a little bogus to me considering the water hose, sewer hose, and shore power cord are all laying on the ground. We can cuss and discuss it till the cows come home and Keystone is still going to send out that short hose. They do it for the same reasons they do everything else. It's cheaper and the bean counters are watching.
Go to a propane place and buy a 10' hose for $20, a few bucks for the fittings to adapt it to your particular application and enjoy that steak. The longer hose and an $8 folding tray table from Walmart gets the grill away from the side of the camper, which is where it should be anyway.

Robby9
07-10-2013, 06:24 AM
The hose on my 31sqb is just long enough to use with grill arm extended. If it was an inch shorter it wouldn't work.

Bob Landry
07-11-2013, 03:15 AM
I'm betting that Keystone used the same length hose for all of their outdoor kitchens and grills. Even if the savings were only a few cents per hose by buying in quantity, that's probably how Keystone would have gone. When you are mass producing units something like that or even a few feet of wire would add up and that's what the bean counters look for. There is not a single are where they don't cut corners, even down to using scraps of cheap luan in places that aren't visible. Just as an example, the drawer slides in my Outback were put together using scraps of luan and staples. Needless to say, everything in my trailer that was bought or built cheap has been replaced or rebuilt with something better.

Kristi
07-11-2013, 05:26 AM
My hose is plenty long enough, but my gas line runs along the curb side of the trailer, not the middle like some have described.

dandjh1958
07-12-2013, 08:37 AM
At least you guys got a stink'n hose. We have a BBQ from when we bought our popup so we were stoked when we bought the Hideout and was told that it had an extra propane hook up right near the living room door. Sweet!! But then I found out we had no hose! After reading all the good stickys on propane hook ups I went and bought the correct quick disconnect fittings (male and female) and then went to the local propane shop and had them make me a LONG hose and use my fittings on the ends for about 15$. Good deal!!

UsTwo
07-12-2013, 10:07 AM
I just put ours together this last weekend... Same boat as ya'll Hose is to short.. Didnt really care for the grill either.. Nor the carry bag.. We have had the same table top for the last 8 yrs and it is finally wearing out..Thought this might be a good replacement... Not really.. Might as well go buy the Weber Q 120 gas table top...The reviews are really good on the Webers...

Charlotte
07-30-2013, 11:41 AM
My husband removed the bracket for holding the grill from the bumper & put that and the grill stand in the garbage. He also folds a piece of foil in the back of the grill to prevent flareups.

He had a new hose made at a industrial hose shop with the quick connects so he could set the grill on a table under the awning. Our connection is curb side.

TandE
07-30-2013, 12:11 PM
I really dont mind the grill but the short hose sucks. I also found out that my dad's grill came with a carry bag and mine did not. Kinda disappointed in that but not sure if it was supposed to.