PDA

View Full Version : RVQ Grill...

ktosv
03-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I wasn't sure if this should go in the "Keystone Questions" or lite trailer section, but I have a couple of general questions I thought someone might be able to give me their opinion on or insight.

We recently purchased a Passport 2910. It came with the RVQ grill. It pretty much hangs on the side of the camper about at the center of the awning. Who else has a set up like this and do you use the grill with the awning out, or do you put it in everytime you cook? I was just wondering if the smoke can discolor the underside of the awning. What about heat and the side of the trailer?

With our previous trailer we used our Coleman Roadtrip grill. I hooked it up to the propane tanks with like a 10' hose. I would set it up at the end of our awning, but it was a foot or two away from the campers side. I obviously didn't have an issue with heat on the side of the camper and it was at the edge of the awning and there always seemed to be enough airflow that any smoke didn't really billow under the awning.

I like the idea of having the quick disconnect to hook a grill up to along the side of the trailer, but I don't know if I am crazy about the idea of the grill as close to the side as it is along with the smoke under the awning. I wondered about using the Roadtrip grill, but I think I would have to make a gas hose/line to connect into the quick disconnect and then into the Coleman connector, that is still upstream from it's regulator. Any issues with running a gas grill after two propane regulators?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

hankpage
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I have a Road-Trip also and I seem to remember the instructions saying that it MUST be hooked up to an unregulated source. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong but I think I'm right this time... :rolleyes: We don't have the RVQ but I would be leery of BBQing under the awning also. I hope someone else can be of more help, Hank

Jim W
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
With our old 5er a 2006 Summit Ridge, we used to cook under the awing all the time. We have a Weber portable grill that sits on an AL table. The awing is 5 to 6 ft above the grill. I have never had an issue with this. I think if your camper awing had a issue with grilling under it there would be warnings in the manual or with the awing instructions.
Enjoy your camper and just use common sense when cooking with the grill.
Waiting for the camping season to begin.

ftwildernessguy
03-06-2010, 01:33 PM
We had an RVQ with our old Jayco and grilled under the awning all the time without a problem. Don't have one with the Outback, but with the hookup I am doing with my Weber Q120 it will end up under the awning and I'm not worried. That awning is pretty high and I doubt a fire is a danger.

ktosv
03-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the information. I obviously can camp a couple of times and try the new one and see how it works out for us.

jake6654
04-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi, we just bought the 2910 model, I was thinking the same thing about the grill. We pick it up on April 13th can`t wait. How do you like yours. Thanks

riggsp
04-18-2010, 02:03 PM
I had an RVQ on my last 5er...I didn't have any problems with heat or smoke, but I just didn't like the idea of being that close, so I bought an extension hose and just moved the grill to a safer distance. Without the mounting bracket it sits on a table just fine.

wheelygoode
07-21-2010, 01:08 PM
We have the same grill, do it under the awning if it is out. We don't grill with a big flame happening, and grill with the lid closed. I'm sure there may have been cases of a large flare up burning an awning resulting in a lawsuit which means that forever afterward the manufacturer puts out a warning.
Our unit is a 5th wheel and the awning is fairly high.

Seann
07-25-2010, 08:53 AM
I had the RVQ under the awning of my Z281 with no problems at all... dont worry about it... worry more about if you should be grilling Salmon, T-bone, or ribs.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

muddynoll
08-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I had the RVQ on our old Jayco and didnt have a problem. We have a new 2011 passport 2910 also and have not had any problems grilling with the awning out. I just dont walk away from it while its on though. Dont want to tempt fate.

jq1031
08-08-2011, 11:47 AM
I purchased a 12ft hose for my grill & quick disconnect to the trailer. I don't like cooking that close to the side of the RV, althought I've talked with others who do. Regarding your awning, it should not effect it. The other issue with the Road Trip brings up the point that connecting to the trailer quick disconnect means the gas is being double regulated & it won't work unless you remove the regulator on the Road Trip.

wgb1
08-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I have the RVQ grill with my Bullet and I remember seeing a warning label somewhere that states to NOT use the grill under the awning.........but I have done it anyway.

antiqfreq
08-09-2011, 06:18 AM
We grill 95% of the time under the awning.

Just use common sense and all will be okay!

It is those 'few' that catch their RV on fire they are talking about.......

Jo
:confused:

E597283
08-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I purchased my 2011 2910BH in May and use the grill attached to the side of the trailer (under awning) all the time with no issues. Love the trailer!