PDA

View Full Version : Champion 4000 peak generator question.

StanMT
07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Having searched through a number of posts that mention the Champion 4000 peak generator, I did not want to hijack any previous threads so am entering the question here.

I have seen posts from others that have the Champion generator and similar A/C setups. Here is our situation:

I have the same generator (Champion 3500/4000peak) and just returned from our first warm outing with our Cougar 278, tried using the generator to fire up the A/C (Dometic 57915.741 - 13,500 btu). As soon as the A/C was started the generator started grunting and 'walking' across the campspot. It was not able to get the compressor to the stage of running the AC so I shut things down after about 10 seconds. All other electrical items that would run off 120 were turned off at the time with the exception of the refrigerator, now that I think about it - I believe it was set to auto and would have switched over to 120v once available.

Trying to determine if my generator is possibly not putting out the full capacity, or if there may be some other issue that I need to look into.

Any input greatly appreciated.

hankpage
07-09-2012, 05:12 PM
With my Generac 4000EXL I cannot use the efficiency mode with A/C. But it will run A/C just fine at full throttle. For everything else including Water heater or micro low idle efficiency mode works fine. You may have to have some load on your Champion to keep the idle high enough to start your A/C. JM2¢, Hank

deadeye
07-10-2012, 03:51 AM
What model Champion do you have. If it has only the 120 volts outlets you should be fine. If its the 120/240 model then you may have problems at high alt. or temperatures above 85°F because of the compressor head pressure.
On the RV Net Forum there is a great thread on Champion Gennys.

JRTJH
07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
We have the Champion 4000watt generator (the RV model with the 30Amp plugin) and it runs our trailer with no problems. When we turn on the A/C, the generator starts to "groan" for a couple of seconds, then it's back up to speed and humming along well (even through it's louder than a hummmmm)

My guess is you've got something wrong with your generator. If it's under warranty, I'd have it looked at, if it's not, then once you get home, do some troubleshooting. There's a pretty good guide in the owner's manual.

fla-gypsy
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM
My Champion 4k max generator runs my entire trailer. Sounds as though you may have a problem

StanMT
07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Ours is the 120/240 model with the 30Amp plug. It has been in use for a bit over 6 years but have not tried to use it to run an A/C in the past. Not going camping this coming weekend, so guess I'll go through everything in the camper to ensure all 120 items are disconnected or not in use and give it another shot.

Thanks.

richf28
07-11-2012, 02:01 AM
I too bought the Champion 4000 peak generator. Ever since I bought it I've had problems. Tractor supply said I had to go through manufacturer for warranty. I did and told them it keeps surging even went nothing is plugged in. They said they had a problem with the fuel shutoffs and sent me a new one. It didn't fix it. Son tried to use it one weekend with no luck. He called them and said the carb was probably dirty. It hadn't even ran a tank gas through it yet. He pulled it apart and found nothing. Called them back and was told that they wern't mechanics and didn't have a clue what could be wrong. So now I'm stuck with the thing and will probably end up paying someone to repair it.

JRTJH
07-11-2012, 03:12 AM
I too bought the Champion 4000 peak generator. Ever since I bought it I've had problems. Tractor supply said I had to go through manufacturer for warranty. I did and told them it keeps surging even went nothing is plugged in. They said they had a problem with the fuel shutoffs and sent me a new one. It didn't fix it. Son tried to use it one weekend with no luck. He called them and said the carb was probably dirty. It hadn't even ran a tank gas through it yet. He pulled it apart and found nothing. Called them back and was told that they wern't mechanics and didn't have a clue what could be wrong. So now I'm stuck with the thing and will probably end up paying someone to repair it.

If it's still in warranty, check your manual, there's a list of service facilities where you can take it for repair (warranty will pay) I've not had to call Champion for any help, but the service call center can't repair your generator, they can only tell you some suggestions. If it's not working they either did (or should have) told you to take it in for repair. If they didn't, shame on them, if they did and you missed it or chose not to take it in, then it's not the "generator's fault" Service is available for the Champion line both in and out of warranty at any of the listed service centers. Like any mechanical device, it may have or eventually will have problems that need repair. Champion gives owners a list of where to have this done. I hope you're still in warranty and get it repaired.

deadeye
07-11-2012, 03:48 AM
With the 120/240 model with the 30 amp 120/240 model plug you actually only have 20 amps available on the 120 volt side. The RV model with only the 120 volts plugs will have 30 amps available. I found on my 120/240 model that 1 side of 120 volts was slightly stronger then the other so I used that 20 amp duplex plug. You can also shut off all the brakers except the AC to gain a little to get the AC to start, then turn the other breakers back on. On my genny it was the duplex plug on the left that seemed the strongest.

SAABDOCTOR
07-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Hi as far as the surgeing goes. the govener may be miss adjusted. but instead of throwing parts and time at it.sounds like it still is under warranty take it to service center and get it fixed. the carb is set up for emmissions and nothing is adjustable. $#&#& EPA!. if yours is a 120/240 and you only have 20 amps as others have said you are marginal at best for getting your a/c going. good luck with it:)

richf28
07-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the help. No the champion customer support never mentioned any repair centers to us. I'll have to check my warranty date and find out where to take it.

StanMT
07-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the feedback folks. Appears this issue was one of those 'learning process' things.

In thinking back to when this problem came up in camp, I am almost positive that the A/C was already in the 'on' position when I was out at the generator flipping the switch from 'off' to '120v' at the 240|Off|120 switch... so I was hitting the generator with everything using 120v in the camper all in one shot. No wonder the generator started 'walking' around -- I think it was trying to get as far from me as possible.

When we got home, hooked the camper up to the shop just to make sure -- and to provide some cooling while cleaning all the dust out of the camper after the outing. A/C ran without a hitch, starting and stopping multiple times.

Today we got around to hooking the generator back up for some trial runs paying more attention to what was learned from the forums here. Because the TV is having some antifreeze issues (leaking badly from the water pump), and the generator is in the bed of the truck, I just ran a standard extension cord the additional distance to the generator and plugged it into the standard 120V outlet. Made sure the refrigerator was on gas, hot water heater 120V switch to 'off', A/C to off and fan speed of low selected. Fired up the generator and turned the 240|Off|120 switch to 120 and gave it about 30 seconds for everything to settle down.

Had the DW turn on the A/C and bingo -- A/C fired right up and started putting out cold air...... for about 2 minutes. And then the generator completely shut down.

That's when I noticed there is a 10Amp CB right next to the standard 120V outlet. Went ahead and fired up the truck (figured I'd go ahead and water the grass) and pulled up beside the camper so I could use the 30Amp RV outlet on the generator.

Went through the same process, ensuring everything was off in the camper, fired up the generator, switched it to 120V, waited about 30 seconds and then started the A/C. I think we are all set to go now, ran for about 10 minutes with no problems.

This was after quite a bit of looking at the smaller 'gangable' generators as a possible solution, glad we didn't jump in with both feet and start dumping $$$ into replacing what we had. Although I'll now be looking at one of the 1000 watt generators with a low db rating for those days when all we need is to charge the battery, use some lights and keep the heater fan running through the night.

Again, thanks for the info/feedback.