PDA

View Full Version : changing tires

outbackmac
07-02-2012, 07:37 AM
I have my 5ver at a local campground untill the 23er of july. and i would like to replace all 5 tires before leaving on our vacation. what is the best and safiest way to jack up the trailer and take tires to my local service station to have them mounted.

PS Please dont tell me to take in to the service station

campingcpl
07-02-2012, 07:47 AM
I've had to change a tire at a camp site. The way I found the easiest was to leave trailer stabilizers down and use a barrel jack under the leaf spring mounts on the axle to lift the weel just enought to remove it.

rhagfo
07-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I've had to change a tire at a camp site. The way I found the easiest was to leave trailer stabilizers down and use a barrel jack under the leaf spring mounts on the axle to lift the weel just enought to remove it.

That sounds good to me!
I have a rolling floor jack, and a jack stand as backup.

Jim W
07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I have my 5ver at a local campground untill the 23er of july. and i would like to replace all 5 tires before leaving on our vacation. what is the best and safiest way to jack up the trailer and take tires to my local service station to have them mounted.

PS Please dont tell me to take in to the service station

I would replace one side at a time. This way all of the weight is not on the legs and stabilizers and some of the weight is shared by the tires. I did it this way when I replaced my tires this year. I also used cribbing and concrete blocks to help support the frame so the axles were not supporting the 5er.
I used a bottle jack to raise the frame and a hydraulic floor jack to raise the axle to remove the tires. I felt in lifting the 5er this way I was not stressing the frame.
Jim W.

hankpage
07-02-2012, 10:51 AM
When I had my original tires balanced I used two bottle jacks under the axle on the spring mounting point. (as close to the wheel as possible.) Only raised them enough to remove the wheel so as not to shift any weight to other side or landing gear. Took those two wheels and the spare for balancing, returned and repeated on the other side. With the spare now in service only one wheel was left off the ground for the second trip to the tire shop. When jacking this way no extra load is transfered to axles or landing gear and because you only raise wheel ½" the trailer remains stable. I don't recommend doing all four at the same time because there is no way of chocking front to rear movement and would not trust landing gear or stabilizers. Again JM2¢, Hank

outbackmac
07-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Is this a posibility run front and back tires up on small platforms and jack up both rear tires and support with 3 ton jack stands

blackty
07-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Rv stores sell chock block looking things that you drive your aired up tire on to change the flat one. No reason you couldn't use a piece of 4x6 on each side and do fronts and then backs...Jim

hankpage
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Rv stores sell chock block looking things that you drive your aired up tire on to change the flat one. No reason you couldn't use a piece of 4x6 on each side and do fronts and then backs...Jim

Doing that will overload the remaining axle and tires and possibly damage it. One tire is not that bad but both could be dangerous.

hankaye
07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Howdy All;

Last Autum as I started my Southern migration I had all 4 of the
Tires in contact with the ground replaced.
Took it to the tire shop. They jacked up both tires on one side, swaped
out the old for new, balanced them replaced them then did the same
for the other side.. Done in less then an hour. I'd called a week before My departure
date and made sure they had 'on hand' what I wanted... Smooth operation.
No fuss, no muss.

hankaye

I traveled from Mount Pleasant, Utah up through Park City then on I-80 to
Laramie, Wy. for the night.....Easy-peasy....