PDA

View Full Version : Walking on roof

tampacamper
06-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Hi guys

Its been a while on here for me. Im 6'2" and 280lb should I walk on my roof????

randy69
06-30-2012, 07:14 PM
I'am over 200 I have but don't like too. I would suggest buying a 10'or 12' A frame step ladder and a long adjustable brush for washing. Don't trust the rv ladder. Had black plastic clips on the rungs break on me. Scary..

Festus2
06-30-2012, 08:20 PM
tampacamper -
For someone of your weight, I would recommend that, before walking on your roof, that you place a piece of plywood large enough to go between the ceiling rafters so that the weight will be better distributed.
A piece of old, non-slip carpet or some other soft, thick material should be placed between the EPDM rubber roof and the plywood to protect the thin membrance from the plywood.
Two plywood pieces would work well allowing you to move from one to the other without having to step off one onto the roof.
Being able to get up on the roof to carry out inspection of the seals and caulking around vents, to check the rubber for any holes or abrasions and to do any repairs is always wise, preventative maintenance.
Instead of using the RV ladder, you can always get a longer ladder to get up on the roof itself. Make sure that it has padding placed where the ladder rests against the rubber roof.

rhagfo
07-01-2012, 12:50 AM
I am 6' and about 190#, I feel safe walking on th roof of our Copper Canyon, but it is springy.
IO would look at either the plywood "bridge" idea, or working from a side ladder. I don't know the weight rating on the factory ladder, but I feel that I am close to max on it.

SteveC7010
07-01-2012, 04:06 AM
I verified that the roof structure of my trailer is made with 3/4" plywood so that I have no issues with walking on it due to weight.

However, the rubber Dicor membrane needs to be treated gently; brush sand or gravel off your shoes before going up there, no sharp things on your shoes, etc.

If you are going up there to do some work, take a rug or blanket with you to sit on and place your tools.

EDIT: 7/1/12 at 11:10 The roof is NOT 3/4" plywood! My bad, and apologies to all. See next post for more.

SteveC7010
07-01-2012, 07:11 AM
My apologies to all. My dealer assured me that the roof was 3/4 plywood. However, I just dropped one of the vents and found that it is 3/8" plywood.

So, with that fact in hand, walking on a 3/8" plywood roof structure is less of a sure thing for some of us. Make your own informed choice now.

tampacamper
07-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys

I guess I need to find a small friend at this camp ground. I will try the plywood and rug when we get back from tropical plam's in O-town .

therink
07-02-2012, 04:52 AM
I am 240 and walk on my roof all the time with no problems. I do make a point to walk softly and space out my feet to walk on the joist support areas. As far as I know, most Keystone trailers have 3/8" roof decking.

happytrails
07-02-2012, 06:15 AM
I'm 270 and walk on mine CAREFULLY, but have heard no snaps or creaking noises so far. When I get on mine, I go barefoot and try to be aware of sharp objects and such. I don't walk very close to vents and AC or other items coming through the roof. I have a long brush and a bucket of soapy water so I don't have to move around too much up there. If you do go barefoot just be careful because it can get slippery and if you get to close to the rounded edges I imagine you could lose your footing pretty quick. I also get up there to clean my awning off as well.

SAABDOCTOR
07-02-2012, 07:02 AM
I ALSO USE A GOOD A FRAME LADDER AND A LONG BRUSH I AM A BIG GUY 300LBS. 3/8 PLY AND I FEEL I'D BE IN THE LIVING ROOM GFASTER THAN I WOULD LIKE. AND I DO NOT BOUNCE LIKE I USED TOO:eek: