PDA

View Full Version : Jensen Stereo/IPod connection

Nomad2009
05-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Anyone have any issues with the Jensen USB port connecting iPod? It says loading and never connects..

Spent all that time getting all my classics set up for my 3 zone speakers to get my outdoor tunes going while grilling, eeeeehhhh loading...........nada

LOL

f6bits
05-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I thought the Jensen USB port was for MP3s and not an iPod dock. That’s why I use the AUX jack instead. Plain audio and I select the music from my iPhone.

Nomad2009
05-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Maybe you are right, I would have tried that but didn't have a cable. Its on my list. It said MP3 player hookup, of course the sales guy said its "got the USB for your iPod"

I will do that though, thanks!!!

109rfan
05-11-2012, 05:15 AM
Yeah fooled ya it just the earphone plug style setup I was disappointed its not the good iPod connect

slewis95407
05-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Nomad2009

Jensen makes an ipod cable that plugs into the back of the unit. Sold sepperatley.

ktmracer
05-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Nomad2009

Jensen makes an ipod cable that plugs into the back of the unit. Sold sepperatley.

correct. but depending on the Jensen model it may offer only limited functionaliy with your IPOD. On my Jensen, (AM795???)you can play tunes, but not select tracks etc. from the radio.

parkgirl
05-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Here's a link to the Jensen site that describes the ipod connector:

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-new-generation-12-long-black-ipod-iphone-interface-cable.html

Hope that link works, it's the first time I've tried to do that on this forum.

One question I have, since I haven't yet picked up my trailer, is that my Jensen is installed in a base cabinet. How do I access the back of it to attach this cable?
Thanks,
parkgirl

86GT2r
05-12-2012, 07:51 AM
The plastic trim plate around the radio will pop off with a little pressure. Behind that are 4 screws. Remove them & carfully pull the radio out of the opening. There is a messy wad of wires back there, so be careful on removal & re-installation so you don't damage them.

parkgirl
05-13-2012, 12:13 PM
The plastic trim plate around the radio will pop off with a little pressure. Behind that are 4 screws. Remove them & carfully pull the radio out of the opening. There is a messy wad of wires back there, so be careful on removal & re-installation so you don't damage them.

Thanks. That sounds more complicated than I would have hoped, and I can't really imagine how this will work once I access the back and plug in the connector. I think I'll wait to buy the connector until we have the trailer and see what it looks like. Too bad, I was expecting to have the tunes playing while we're setting up... oh well...

Outbackmel
05-13-2012, 12:54 PM
On my unit, you cannot reach the rear of the stereo. Very difficult and screwed up concept IMHO .... Ensure you understand your specific cord needs and accessability before ordering.

Good luck

86GT2r
05-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks. That sounds more complicated than I would have hoped, and I can't really imagine how this will work once I access the back and plug in the connector. I think I'll wait to buy the connector until we have the trailer and see what it looks like. Too bad, I was expecting to have the tunes playing while we're setting up... oh well...

It sounds more difficult then it really is. The radio can easily be out, cable connected, & back installed in less then 10 minutes.

Outbackmel
05-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Really, I have never had any EZ experiences with anything I needed to modify inside or out on any RV. My radio fits flush with a boxed in effect by cabinetry. Even getting it out, installing the cable, step one...not going back in with a cable attached, so drilling or cutting necessary.

To me, it's not worth the effort.

My issue is with Keystone. Everyone that I know uses their TV's for photo viewing and radios for IPod, etc. They need to get on board with american way of life and make these things EZ to attach to and use.

Car manufacturers use people to sit in designed vehicles to ensure accessability, comfort, safety, etc...things don't happen magically, they have to be engineered. If not, we would all be driving black, model A, Fords with that beautiful velour interior they offered...yeah, that's the ticket.

Let's work towards encouraging the factory to meet consumer needs versus throwing something out there that "can" be modified.

ktmracer
05-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Our 295RE has very good acess to the TV and stereo. took only a few minutes to attach the IPOD adapter to the Jensen. in another 10 minutes I had two more HDMI inputs to the TV for my camcorder, camera etc.

In neither case did I need to remove the TV or stereo, the back was accessible with the TV in the "up" position on the TV lift.

parkgirl
06-27-2012, 09:41 AM
So, I decided that it was maybe simpler to just use an mp3 player than to bother with installing the ipod cord to the back of the jensen. Now when I look at the jensen instructions for playing an mp3 they say "insert disc and start to play then eject disc" and apparently some menu comes up which you make some selections from. What disc? I was assuming that you could plug in an mp3 player but they don't say anything about any input jack for that.

Can anyone tell me if I can plug in an mp3 player on the front of the jensen (maybe into the "audio in" but those are separated into left and right) and what sort of connections/cable I'd need for that.
Thanks,
parkgirl

azlee56
06-27-2012, 09:55 AM
I couldn't with mine. That usb port has to be for something though.

Egnilk66
06-27-2012, 10:20 AM
I thought the Jensen USB port was for MP3s and not an iPod dock. That’s why I use the AUX jack instead. Plain audio and I select the music from my iPhone.

This guy's right. USB is for movies (of very few file types) and MP3s. Use the Aux jack.

The wires usually have green ends on them (if they came with computer monitors, anyway).

chris199
06-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I just use a cable and aux port to play ipod music....works fine sounds good. Set up playlists and let er rip. Love it. Don't really need any more functionality. Can get get $20 cable at no so Best Buy or $10-$15 cable at walmart or radio shack.

chris199
06-27-2012, 06:27 PM
One major advantage of the Jensen cable is it will charge the ipod. Aux cable does not charge.....only makes the stereo behave as headphones/speakers.

Jensen cable also gives more info and ontrol on head.

I charge my ipod in clock radio next to my bed. I listen to it thru the clock radio at night and it charges at same time. Works for me so far. In my 199 ML the 12 volt charger was near the stereo. In the 29REV the 12 vollt charger is in bedroom ceiling...stereo in back of trailer.

Egnilk66
06-28-2012, 03:50 AM
I couldn't with mine. That usb port has to be for something though.

The manuals are here:

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-am-fm-cd-dvd-usb-wb-ipod-ready-wallmount-stereo-with-hdmi-video-output.html

Also....it looks like I was wrong...the Jensen's ARE compatible with iPod cables.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-1-long-black-ipod-interface-cable.html

parkgirl
06-28-2012, 06:57 AM
This has been very helpful information everyone, but I'm still an idiot. First of all, I have been wondering what all this talk of USB ports is about and now I see from the last post, clicking on the manual link there for an expensive jensen, that we have a very cheap version of the jensen in our brand new 2013 Keystone Hideout. Doesn't even have a USB port on it. We were told it's mp3 compatible but not ipod compatible. Now I see that the way they mean mp3 compatible is that we can play mp3 discs but that's it. Not even a USB port to plug in an mp3.

So now my question is: are people using the aux jacks (with a red and white RCA connection) with an ipod that works even though the jensen is not ipod capable?
Thanks

f6bits
06-28-2012, 08:53 AM
RCA jacks are typically low level signals. Headphone jacks are amplified signals. While you can hook up your iPod like this, be careful with your iPod’s volume setting. I’d recommend that you set it very low and use the volume control on your stereo to make it loud(er).

campingcpl
06-28-2012, 09:31 AM
This has been very helpful information everyone, but I'm still an idiot. First of all, I have been wondering what all this talk of USB ports is about and now I see from the last post, clicking on the manual link there for an expensive jensen, that we have a very cheap version of the jensen in our brand new 2013 Keystone Hideout. Doesn't even have a USB port on it. We were told it's mp3 compatible but not ipod compatible. Now I see that the way they mean mp3 compatible is that we can play mp3 discs but that's it. Not even a USB port to plug in an mp3.

So now my question is: are people using the aux jacks (with a red and white RCA connection) with an ipod that works even though the jensen is not ipod capable?
Thanks

You can use a cable like this. We use one like this on our TV and works good for mp3 players as well. You can get them at Walmart for around $10.00 with a 6' cord.

http://cableschoice.com/pictures/500/1366822_1.jpg

chris199
06-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Don't you have and AUX port on ur Jensen...to at least allow playback thru thr trailer speakers?

parkgirl
06-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes, we have the aux left and aux right ports, just not a USB port. So I'm assuming now that plugging into those aux ports has nothing to do with compatibility and it's just playback using my ipod so all is good. I'll check out Walmart (thanks for the pic of the cord) and we're going up to the trailer tomorrow so looking forward to trying this out! Thanks everyone.

campingcpl
06-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Yes, we have the aux left and aux right ports, just not a USB port. So I'm assuming now that plugging into those aux ports has nothing to do with compatibility and it's just playback using my ipod so all is good. I'll check out Walmart (thanks for the pic of the cord) and we're going up to the trailer tomorrow so looking forward to trying this out! Thanks everyone.

Your welcome, glad I could help. :)

f6bits
07-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Just to check, I plugged my iPhone 4S into the USB port. The stereo came on and said something like USB LOAD, but that’s it. My iPhone played music out its own speaker and the Jensen was not able to control the playback on my phone. So I’m guessing the USB is only good for MP3 on a stick.

Pawpod
07-01-2012, 04:36 PM
tnx for all the info

CACougar
08-04-2012, 04:31 PM
The menu for the iPod controls is accessible thru the tv, I went round and round on this. I bought the jensen iPod cable which was a easy install. But to get the full controls to navigate thru playlists you need to go thru the menus that pop up on the tv.

AlCorr
09-24-2012, 06:53 AM
After reading everything here, I'm really confused. I was playing my I-pod through the aux. jack and it looks like I should buy this cable from Jensen.

AlCorr
09-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Is this the correct cable and it says it's only one foot long, is that long enough? Does anyone have this cable?

AlCorr
09-25-2012, 03:25 AM
http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=AWM975
My trailer came with a Jensen manual for the TV, but no manual for the Jensen radio, so I downloaded one here.
http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-am-fm-cd-dvd-usb-wb-ipod-ready-wallmount-stereo-with-hdmi-video-output.html

AlCorr
09-25-2012, 04:06 AM
The manuals are here:

Also....it looks like I was wrong...the Jensen's ARE compatible with iPod cables.

OK, I got it now, this link is the correct one for the manual, for the Jensen AWM975 radio, but the wrong link for the correct cable.

Here is the correct link for the one foot cable.
http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-generation-1-long-black-ipod-iphone-interface-cable.html

Here is the correct link for the nine foot cable.
http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-new-generation-12-long-black-ipod-iphone-interface-cable.html

AlCorr
09-30-2012, 11:31 AM
:banghead:My mistake, I have the Jensen AWM970, not the AWM975.:banghead:
http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-am-fm-cd-dvd-usb-wb-wallmount-stereo.html

AlCorr
10-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Help, Please, I'm an idiot, I had to return the cable I just sent for. Got the cable and removed the Jensen AWM970 and there is no extra jacks on the rear of my AWM970. :banghead::banghead:What is up?:banghead::banghead:

AlCorr
10-05-2012, 05:48 AM
OK, I got to the bottom of this. When I got my Keystone Bullet, Keystone was promoting the Jensen system as being compatible with ipod, just plug it in and play, (not the only, but one of the things that sold me on the Bullet), so I e-mailed Jensen and here is their reply:

Hello Al,

Thank you for contacting ASA Electronics. Your iPod will not be compatible through the USB port. iPods won't act as a plug-n-play to this USB application. With the AWM970, the iPod Touch, IPhone, Nano and related iPods are recognized as mass-storage devices (i.e. hard drive). Also, iPod control is not present on the USB. The USB port will handle 2g Flash Drives up to 4G.

Thank You,

Lon

Technical Services

ASA Electronics

AlCorr
10-05-2012, 06:02 AM
:(This doesn't make me a happy camper:(
And yes, I know that the Aux. port will play my ipod, but it will not charge it.
:(So know I have no way to charge it dry camping.:(

gkainz
10-05-2012, 07:09 AM
:(This doesn't make me a happy camper:(
And yes, I know that the Aux. port will play my ipod, but it will not charge it.
:(So know I have no way to charge it dry camping.:(

12v USB car adapter and plug into your 12v in the trailer to charge. Doesn't help the disappointment of finding things not as advertised, but does charge your ipod.

AlCorr
10-07-2012, 10:59 AM
12v USB car adapter and plug into your 12v in the trailer to charge. Doesn't help the disappointment of finding things not as advertised, but does charge your ipod.

Thanks gkainz, looks like I'll be picking up a 12 volt charger.

gkainz
10-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I just bought a Belkin USB charger for my iphone and ipad that had both 110V AC and 12V DC adapters at Target for $29.

joanlovesbob
06-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but we just got a 2012 Keystone Hideout, and I can't make my ipod play with the aux cord. The stereo is a Jensen, not sure of the model number (I can get this if you need it). We tried 2 different ipods. We started a song playing and plugged them into the aux port, but we could never get any sound to come out. We tried adjusting the volume on the ipods and on the stereo. From the prior posts, I see that some of you have had success playing your ipods this way. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks! (tx)

CUFFS054
06-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Joan, have you selected "aux" on the Jenson? The button is usually placed away from the rest for some stupid reason. Same thing with the "mute". Are your speakers turned on (a,b,c)?

joanlovesbob
06-21-2013, 05:24 PM
I am pretty sure we tried all of the speakers and the aux button, but I am going to go out and try it again :)

joanlovesbob
06-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks for your help! I got it to work :)

bigcitypopo
07-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I just had an interesting convo with keystone regarding this issue. AWM965 is mar compatible with a USB storage device, not an iPod. The AWM975 is ipod ready, with a cable kit that is attached at the rear of the unit. The whole cost difference is negligible.

retail for the 975 is $275-350 online

the stock unit is $185-$250 online....

I am going to switch mine out. Everything i own is iPod/ipad stuff. I might even go bluetooth... I dunno