PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used this vent fan?

fireidiot
06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm looking to replace the front vent with a fan. Has anyone used this one? Looking for good or bad with this fan.

http://img-1.gearbuyer.com/hengs_industries_usa_llc-vortex_replacement_vent_fan_upgrade_p1_.jpg

I found it several places. It's made by Heng's

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/vortex-replacement-vent-fan-upgrade/49448

I have used a Fantastic fan before, but I was not looking to replace the entire vent assembly.

Branky
06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I have one installed in the bathroom of our 2012 Cougar 297RKS. I have hated the "mosquito scream" fan that seems to be in every rv, including the last 3 we have owned.
It was an easy install, the instructions were straight forward and complete.
Fan moves a lot of air. It is not a quiet fan, but no worse than a Fan-Tastic fan. It seems louder because it's within a foot of your head. but it moves more air and is quieter than the one I removed.
When I bought mine, the wholesaler could only get the one speed, one direction, exhaust version. They do make a 3 speed, reversible version. But for the bathroom, exhaust is all we wanted.

My $0.02 CDN worth.

ktmracer
06-26-2012, 07:37 AM
I tried one. ended up tossing it for a good fantastic fan. better than the wimpy factory fan, but much noiser than the fantastic or max air's and doesn't move near as much air as the fantastic/max airs. After a few months it ended up developing a whine and rattle and that was it. Out it went. Great idea, but mediocure implementation.

replacing the whole vent assembly really isn't that much work.

flybouy
06-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Kind put one in the bathroom, a little noisy but for the price and easy instillation I think its well worth it. The noise doesn't bother me and it keeps people from lingering in there"bouncey:"bouncey:

jimmy2
06-26-2012, 07:36 PM
"bouncey:i have put 2 of these in my 5ther one in the bath room i will tell you this that you would never have to worry about sinking every one out of the trailer it will never happen with this fan the other i put in by my shower takes all the steam out when the shower is in use

golfpro
06-26-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't have one but I have read on other forums that it is a loud fan and those that have it would not buy it again

robo
05-20-2013, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hNJn5BmNKc

JRTJH
05-20-2013, 09:47 PM
I bought a Heng Vortex from Amazon.com, installed it and immediately took it out and sent it back. It was too loud to even use in the bathroom. I found a Fantastic 4000 on sale for $125, installed it and there's hardly any noise on low, and it's still not too bad even on high.

I haven't heard the newer 3 speed Heng, but I wouldn't recommend the single speed. It was easy to install, but just too loud to use.

Bob Landry
05-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Compared to the noise that rooftop ACs make, any noise that a fan makes is irrelevant to me. I go for the functionality.

labs4life
05-21-2013, 04:47 AM
I installed one a couple weeks ago on a rainy camping trip. Easy install and the fan does exactly what I wanted it to do. 3 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds. I think I paid around $150 for it. I have no complaints so far.

SteveC7010
05-21-2013, 04:59 AM
I have used a Fantastic fan before, but I was not looking to replace the entire vent assembly.
The MaxxAir Turbo/Maxx is a combination electric fan and roof vent cover in one unit. It fastens to the existing 14x14 vent so there's no swapping out of the existing vent assembly. It's got a three speed fan and optional thermostat.

http://www.maxxair.com/products/turbo_maxx.php

GMcKenzie
05-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Can the Vortex be installed without going on the trailer roof?

labs4life
05-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Can the Vortex be installed without going on the trailer roof?

Yes sir. I installed mine in a torrential downpour while camping. Never opened the vent and only had limited tools inside. The rest were outside and I was not going there. I had a Phillips screwdriver and a leather man type tool. Took 30-45 minutes.

halfprice
05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Eventhough the op started this a year ago I think there is still good info here. I installed two of these fans. Got them on sale at cw for I think $40 each.

One in the bath and one over the bed. Yes its loud but the dw and I don't thinks its that bad. Easy to install and they move lots of air.

Jerry

chain_dogg
05-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Compared to the noise that rooftop ACs make, any noise that a fan makes is irrelevant to me. I go for the functionality.

X2. I have one, get the job done