PDA

View Full Version : How many amps per appliance?

sandy43
06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Is their a chart that shows (estimate) what each appliance uses for amps. If I use my 50 amp cord (or 30 amp cord) what can I turn on. This would be very helpful to me and hopefully others. Thanks

hankaye
06-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Howdy;

You should be able to find that information either in the manuals
or the manufacturer's stickers along with the model number and
serial numbers.....

hankaye

hankpage
06-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Sandy, This Wattage calculator from Honda (http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/wattage-calculator) may give you an idea of what your different appliances power needs are. Travel safely, Hank

sandy43
06-22-2012, 06:21 PM
This is cool for amp's explanation.

Bob Landry
06-22-2012, 06:49 PM
The most accurate info is going to be in the owners manals.

KanTC
06-22-2012, 07:12 PM
I previously posted a short list, here: http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3054

Also see Pg 41-42 of the current Owner's Manual http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/manual/Owners_Manual_2013_E.pdf

On edit: Sandy, your sheet (attachment) is similar to the one I mentioned in the previous thread ;)

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

rhagfo
06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
KanTC, nice list I don't see our electric mattress pad listed though!
Very nice to have takes the chill of the sheets.

scottm1
07-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I have a Kill a Watt. I got mine at Lowes. Works great. Just go around your camper and unplug your appliance, plug the kill a watt in, then plug your appiance into the kill a watt and turn it on. It will tell you exactly how many amps that appliance draws. Then I take a Sharpie pen and write down this information on the appliance somewhere. It is easy later to just simply do a little third grade math to determine if you will overload your box before you even start using the appliances.

http://p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html

f6bits
07-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Third grade math means you have to use your toes, right?

Does the KaW show you the peak power? I don’t see that mentioned on the linked page or its manual.

scottm1
07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Third grade math means you have to use your toes, right?

Does the KaW show you the peak power? I don’t see that mentioned on the linked page or its manual.

It actually will tell you lots of things. It will tell you how many amps its using at that particular moment. So when you use your microwave for example, just turn it on high and it will show you what its max power consumption is, then any other setting you use will be less. It will also tell you how much electricity an appliance such as your refreigerator will use in a given time by leaving it plugged into it for 24 hours allowing it to cycle on and off, then after 24 hours simply multiply by 30 for monthy power consumption, or 365 for of course yearly consumption. If you know your cost per killawatt hour, you can program that in the unit and it will display your power usage in a given selected time period in dollars and cents. Its a cool tool and works great to pinpoint just how much power an appliance is using if you suspect it is popping your breaker. You wife or daughters big hair dryer will surprise you if you plug it in to the kill a watt at how much power it draws. It becomes obvious why your breaker keeps popping when she turns that hairdryer on while the microwave is on. I use mine all the time

f6bits
07-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I just looked it up and it’s only $20. It’s on my Amazon wish list now. That’s a fantastic price for such great information.

scottm1
07-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I just looked it up and it’s only $20. It’s on my Amazon wish list now. That’s a fantastic price for such great information.

F6, please note that there are 2 different models of the kill a watt, and I think the one I have was about $30.00. The one I have has some features the $20.00 model doesn't have. The $20.00 model is a more basic one, but will still tell you what you need to know. The $30.00 model basically does your math for you, instead of you having to use a pen and paper, a calculator, or your toes.lol I went to buy the lower cost model, but when I got to Lowes, all they had was the higher priced one. I wanted one right then, so I bought what they had. I don't know that it is really worth the difference since the basic model tells you everything you really need to know, but it is kinda nice to have the extra features

mikell
07-04-2012, 03:26 AM
We use a LOT of the Kill A Watt meters at work and they are very accurate. We don't use them for certified testing but for reference only but for the money there's nothing better. Lots of features for under 30$ and when I say we use lots we buy them by the dozen probably every quarter. They get wet and have issues get crushed by idiots just disappear.