PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Stolen Truck

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone, no truck yet. After 15 days it will be considered a total loss if not found. The truck had 71,000 miles on it and in excellent condition. Heck, I took better care of that truck than I did my kids...lol. I've been looking around at the dealerships and there are not a lot of dually s out there for sale. Seems to be more high mileage Fords than anything else. I'm may leaning toward a Dodge or Chevy this time.

Mark

Mark,
Some friendly advice, do not get a 6.0 or a 6.4 Ford especially used. You maybe inheriting someone elses headache. I traded my 6.0 in with a head gasket leak. It was sold in less then 48 hours. I am betting it was not repaired. Take a look at the 6.7l. I am in the middle of an extended trip with mine and my 6.0's (had 2) never preformed like this one is. Way awesome truck.

cmssorrell
06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
I leaning toward a Dodge dually. I drove a 2008 Silverado 3500 dually, not as much room as the Ford crew cab and didn't ride as smooth either. I love the look though, very aggressive looking. Another thing it was very quiet for a diesel.

Mark

ls1mike
06-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Whatever you do make sure it is what you want! Don't settle! It sucks having to start from scratch. Can you afford to be without the truck so you can do some serious shopping or do you have to replace it quickly?

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Alot of the 6.7 issues are early models and mostly chassis cabs. They are actually the same but different. Apparently same block but the turbo, electronics, programming and some other things are not.

I have the 6.7 and currently on an extended trip so I will let you know how it all shakes out. So far for the 1st 5000 miles my face is killing me from smiling. I just had a 16 hour day in the drivers seat recently, not by choice, and I actually have to say it was not bad. The truck so far has been wonderful. Ford has a good handle on most of the issues and there have been very few out of the ordinary.....for what I am gathering it is more dealer issues then it is a Ford problem. I am not saying they are making things up but things have been tough lately.

I will leave you with this example from a diesel site I read the other day. A guy was talking about filling his truck with fuel and exhaust fluid at the same time the other day, well the pump did not turn off correctly and splashed diesel into the DEF filler he thought. Has it towed to the dealer, never ran it, dealer says DEF system is shot, has to have a full replacement, $5k. Also if he does not have it all replaced they will not honor any of the remaining warrenty on any part of the truck. So the question is if the vehicle never ran and you are not sure if or how much fuel entered the tank, why not drop the tank and dump it out, flush as required and reinstall? Just a thought>>>>>>>

Do not jump into the Chevy/GMC game without looking good, as they are having almost the same issues and some are worst with fuel pumps, injectors and the emissions system is giving some major headaches. Even chassis issues.

mikell
06-15-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm back to looking at another Ford V-10 for my dollar a good deal. had one and it was fine thought I wanted a diesel but the price of diesel and the uptic for the engine. The cost bennifit analysis says go gas

rhagfo
06-15-2012, 09:19 AM
I switched from Ford gasser to Dodge Diesel, I it isn't all about cost justification. My diesel is my daily driver 15 mpg commuting in town, 20 mpg driving empty, 12 mpg pulling about 12K of 33' 5er down the roadway at 60 mph, and it loves pulling the 5er!
Longevity and power, did I mention my Dodge Cummins has 250,000 miles on it?

Edit: 11qt oil changes at 7,500 to 10,000 cost less than a gasser.

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
06-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Edit: 11qt oil changes at 7,500 to 10,000 cost less than a gasser.

Newer trucks go even longer between oil changes. They have some type of sensors and monitor idle time and road time to decide change interval. My buddies Dodge threw a code and when we checked it, it was for improper oil weight. He needed a quick change for an emergency trip and I only had 15w-40 on hand. One cold morning on startup he got a code, when he got back we checked it and I thought he was nuts when he read it to me.

So having a good filter and bypass sytem can really help extend your oil changes.

fla-gypsy
06-16-2012, 03:38 PM
The 6.0 woes have been well known for many years. The 6.7 failures have been very few and centered around the fuel system particularly water in the fuel and the Bosch HPFP which is also used in other applications by different makers. The 6.7 diesel engine is currently enjoying good success for a new rollout of a complex piece of machinery. Diesel is not for everybody including me. I love my 6.8L V-10.

rhagfo
06-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Fla-gypsy, very true Diesel is not for everyone, in fact some who by diesel should have bought a gasser!
They are different in a lot of ways from gas, they respond and drive differently than gas. One needs to understand those before buying a diesel.
I know I love my Cummins 5.9, I have a six cylinder engine with 250,000 miles that will pull as well as many new gas V8's!
I just like diesel, the same as you like gas.

Jim W
06-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Newer trucks go even longer between oil changes. They have some type of sensors and monitor idle time and road time to decide change interval. My buddies Dodge threw a code and when we checked it, it was for improper oil weight. He needed a quick change for an emergency trip and I only had 15w-40 on hand. One cold morning on startup he got a code, when he got back we checked it and I thought he was nuts when he read it to me.

So having a good filter and bypass sytem can really help extend your oil changes.

Sorry to disagree with you but any truck built with the DPF and EGR are seeing less than 7,500 miles between oil changes. The crank case will have raw diesel fuel being deposited in it from the fourth or fifth injection when the truck is in regen, depending on which engine manufacture that the truck has. This diesel fuel will than mix with the engine oil and when it reaches 5% dilution you need to change your engine oil. This has been called making engine oil in the forums.
At least for the Ram trucks there is an on board algorithm that is built into the ECM to tell you when to change the engine oil, no sensors. This algorithm is design to monitor driving style and how many key starts and stops the engine sees, all of this determines when the oil will need to be changed. I use to see 3,000 to 4,000 mile oil changes with the DPF; I now see 7,500 mile oil changes.
Jim W.

jje1960
06-17-2012, 09:45 AM
As Big Boy said, I'd have to stay away from Ford for now, maybe someday they will get their diesel program back on track, unless you find a low mileage 7.3L the 6.0L are trouble, the 6.4L get poor fuel mileage, and the new 6.7L are having issue's as well, just check out you-tube there are tons of video's on trashed 6.7L.

If I had too replace my truck it would be a GMC, they have the proven diesel and allison tranny too back it up with.

Stay away from Ford? Yea right. I would agree, do some research, not sure if you-tube is the most appropriate nor professional venue, however do your research. Also, please provide links to the "tons of video's on trashed 6.7L" videos, I'd be very interested in viewing problems that I frankly have never heard of. We all have preference gear, however I believe we should not use the forum to just plain trash alternative, without specific research to assist prospective RV'ers with their planning.

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
06-17-2012, 01:04 PM
As Big Boy said, I'd have to stay away from Ford for now, maybe someday they will get their diesel program back on track, unless you find a low mileage 7.3L the 6.0L are trouble, the 6.4L get poor fuel mileage, and the new 6.7L are having issue's as well, just check out you-tube there are tons of video's on trashed 6.7L.

If I had too replace my truck it would be a GMC, they have the proven diesel and allison tranny too back it up with.

Hey Hansel

I never said stay away from Ford I said stay away from 6.0 and the 6.4 as these are the last two International engines that Ford has used, both with problems. The new 6.7 is a totally built in house Ford diesel engine. Some rumors of help from a Europe manufacturer in design.

As far as oil changes and fuel in oil not that uncommon in diesels and far more common with Diesel Exhaust Filter systems and regens. Hence the need to ensure you are using a good quality engine oil.

game warden
06-18-2012, 06:29 PM
My 2 cents of this for what it is worth...The 6.0 had its issues for sure no debate but you either got a real good one or a headache and the 6.4 was very similar in many ways.Ford truely has it together with the 6.7 but one word of advise, I would stay away from the first built 6.7`s but the later built 6.7`s are almost bullet proof.I would not be afraid at all of a 6.7. I really would not give a whole lot of value to youtube ect most customers or owners would not take the time to tell you something positive but they will take the time to complain about something.And there is no one telling you if they abused the engine or did something to improve performance that the manufacture does not want you doing.33 years of experience as a Ford/Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/Nissan/Kia and Suzuki Service Manger and Certified Tech advise on the subject.You would not be dissapointed at all with the 6.7 and impressed with the power and fuel mileage too.I compare it to the 7.3 which my opinion of the 7.3 is one of Fords best ever powertrains they have had.I could go on and on about this subject but if you have questions about Fords or Dodge email me and I will give you the straight up on any of those two trucks.

rhagfo
06-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Well for right now in the NW diesel is once again selling for less than Gas!!!

Currently at the Fred Meyer/Kroger fueling station near me Diesel is $3.69 a gal. and Reg Gas is $3.89!!

One more good reason to own a diesel!

cmssorrell
06-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Game warden,

I was seriously thinking 06-07-08 Dodge 3500 dually. Are these good years?

Thanks
Mark

My 2 cents of this for what it is worth...The 6.0 had its issues for sure no debate but you either got a real good one or a headache and the 6.4 was very similar in many ways.Ford truely has it together with the 6.7 but one word of advise, I would stay away from the first built 6.7`s but the later built 6.7`s are almost bullet proof.I would not be afraid at all of a 6.7. I really would not give a whole lot of value to youtube ect most customers or owners would not take the time to tell you something positive but they will take the time to complain about something.And there is no one telling you if they abused the engine or did something to improve performance that the manufacture does not want you doing.33 years of experience as a Ford/Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/Nissan/Kia and Suzuki Service Manger and Certified Tech advise on the subject.You would not be dissapointed at all with the 6.7 and impressed with the power and fuel mileage too.I compare it to the 7.3 which my opinion of the 7.3 is one of Fords best ever powertrains they have had.I could go on and on about this subject but if you have questions about Fords or Dodge email me and I will give you the straight up on any of those two trucks.

Jim W
06-19-2012, 05:12 AM
Game warden,

I was seriously thinking 06-07-08 Dodge 3500 dually. Are these good years?

Thanks
Mark

Mark,
I am a member of Turbo Diesel Register.Com also and they offer a guide on buying any type of Turbo Diesel trucks. Though the guide leans towards the Dodge trucks the same information can be used for any of the big three trucks. The guide is free to down load to anyone and I have attached the link for you. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/magazines/buyersguide.phtml

BTW I have a 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L Cummins with the 6 speed auto, 3:73 gears, 4X4. Would I buy another Ram; in a heartbeat yes.

When I first looked at the big three diesel trucks, I checked out GMC/Chevy first. Since I was a Chevy/GMC man own three of them (gas trucks) before buying the Dodge. Like the ford I could not find the engine under the piping and wiring all over the top of the engine. I also did not like the idea of the turbo buried in the back of the engine difficult to work on if needed. Test drove the Ram and fell in love with it. Best pulling truck on the market develops its torque down low and will pull all day long.
I have 55,000 miles on the truck now and I only had three returns to dealer issues with the emission equipment. These were all resolved early on and I have not been back since.
Jim W.

Hansel
07-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Hey Hansel

I never said stay away from Ford I said stay away from 6.0 and the 6.4 as these are the last two International engines that Ford has used, both with problems. The new 6.7 is a totally built in house Ford diesel engine. Some rumors of help from a Europe manufacturer in design.

As far as oil changes and fuel in oil not that uncommon in diesels and far more common with Diesel Exhaust Filter systems and regens. Hence the need to ensure you are using a good quality engine oil.

Well I hope the 6.7L does good for Ford, but for me still at this point I will keep my trusty International built 7.3L, maybe someday I will but another Ford with a diesel but with the past problems starting in 2003 with the 6.0L I will wait it out till all the bugs are worked out.

cmssorrell
07-08-2012, 02:28 PM
I know I'm going to hear it, (why did you buy a Ford!!)..... I bought a 2008 F350 dually with 42,000 miles on it to replace my stolen 2006 F350 dually. I drove a Silverado 3500 and a Dodge 3500 dually. They were nice trucks, but they're not a Ford. They all have there problems.

Mark

rhagfo
07-08-2012, 03:26 PM
I know I'm going to hear it, (why did you buy a Ford!!)..... I bought a 2008 F350 dually with 42,000 miles on it to replace my stolen 2006 F350 dually. I drove a Silverado 3500 and a Dodge 3500 dually. They were nice trucks, but they're not a Ford. They all have there problems.

Mark

Been a Ford man all my driving life about 45 years, but I bought a Dodge for the Cummins. I have not had any real issues with the Dodge, just replaced the Ball Joints at 251K miles. the NV4500 5 speed does a fine job of getting the power to the ground.
Nice solid and lots of torque!
:)

Dam-man
07-09-2012, 03:39 AM
I will not buy anything other than a ford. All vehicle have issues. I'm a ford man. I have an 04 F350 (6.0) dually with a few extras, pulling a little over 17,000 lbs uphill and gaining speed. I am staying true to the blue oval.

Hansel
07-09-2012, 05:23 AM

Mark

It's sad that your truck was stolen in the first place, glad to see you where able to get a replacement truck. That year has the 6.4L correct?? If I where you I'd put a EGT gauge on it so you can monitor your temp. and not burn up exhaust valve's.

hankpage
07-09-2012, 07:23 AM
They all have there problems.

Mark

Amen!! Glad to hear that you are happy with the outcome of your nightmare. Enjoy your new to you TV and travel safely, Hank

azlee56
07-09-2012, 08:15 AM
glad you got something you can enjoy! The diesel stuff is another lesson I had to dive into and still learning constantly.

I think you have esp going with me or something, I was again thinking I wonder if he got all that settled just last week....and then here you are!!

hankaye
07-09-2012, 08:15 PM
cmssorrell, Howdy;

Good to hear that you've gotten settled -up.
Your truck of choise is just that, Your truck of choise.
Take care of it, get a good dog and let it live in it.....
helps cut down on the riff-raff that may want to joy ride
in it.

hankaye... ;)

cmssorrell
07-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Mark

JBE-Dad
07-10-2012, 02:21 AM
IMO good truck you bought. I have the same truck in the single wheel base and unlike a lot of people with that engine there is not one bad thing I can say about it.

Good luck with your "new" truck!!