PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Delamination

Buckeyemurph
06-14-2012, 04:01 PM
I own an older Cougar Fifth wheel and have some real problems with the fiberglass delaminating. Does anyone know if this problem is common with Keystone products as I am looking to purchase a new RV ? I believe it is definitely a design issue so I think I will try a different manufacturer. Thanks for the help

2011 keystone
06-14-2012, 04:13 PM
delam. can and will happen to any brand of TT if water gets in between layers.

Buckeyemurph
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
I guess I will not be purchasing an Rv with a fiberglass exterior. I have always taken good care of this Cougar so I am really disappointed with the Keystone product.

SAD
06-14-2012, 05:19 PM
You're not really coming here looking for answers...

mikell
06-15-2012, 02:43 AM
I had a Fleetwood that fell apart and the list goes on

Roberson4
06-15-2012, 04:01 AM
I had a Fleetwood that fell apart and the list goes on

Same here 06 Fleetwood went back to the factory to have the whole side replaced due to delam.

Buckeyemurph
06-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Is your current RV fiberglass ?

JRTJH
06-15-2012, 04:33 AM
I had a Holiday Rambler 34CBFK, supposedly (said tongue in cheek) one of the best. No delamination because it was all aluminum skinned. HOWEVER.... It was riveted together in a "temperature controlled" assembly line so the metal skin was at "medium temperature" and sized to fit the trailer. UNFORTUNATELY, when it sat in the sun (most of the time in Louisiana) and the skin expanded in the heat, it looked like an accordian. Talk about "oil canning" That trailer had a pretty bad case of it. I was asked more than once what ran into my trailer to squish it up like that.....

Something to be said for fiberglass. It also has it's characteristics, but so do all other types of RV materials.

I suppose there's good and bad about all of them. But to complain because an "older Cougar fifth wheel" is delaminating? The trailer that is being criticized may well be 20 years old..... I'd be happy if it were mine and lasted that long :) So, to put things into perspective, just how old is this Cougar?

Keystone uses fiberglass (filon) side skin purchased from an outside supplier, the same supplier who sells to a large number of other manufacturers, so if you buy from "another brand" you're still getting "keystone skin" The same is true with Lippert frames and Dexter axles.

Outside suppliers sell to most RV manufacturers and the materials used to build RVs is pretty much standard across the manufacturing line. Seldom is anything "unique" about an RV other than color, floorplan and design. The same skin, framework material, flooring, carpet/vinyl, cushions, appliances, windows, insulation and running gear go into most models produced by the vast majority of manufacturers.

No RV is without it's potential problems, not even the best..... Airstream has had its share of broken frames, buckled skin, leaks, rust, rot and malfunctioning appliances just like Keystone.

Roberson4
06-15-2012, 04:33 AM
Is your current RV fiberglass ?

Yes, our Avalanche is fiberglass.

Buckeyemurph
06-15-2012, 04:46 AM
My Cougar is a 2001. The delaminination started four years ago.

Halibutman214
06-15-2012, 05:00 AM
I own an older Cougar Fifth wheel and have some real problems with the fiberglass delaminating.
At least it's "older". Do a search on Lance Campers and you will see new ones have delam issues. They're not the first nor will they be the last.

SAABDOCTOR
06-15-2012, 12:09 PM
never had one of my glass units delam. but as is life nothin perfect but the good lord! let me know when you find a perfect product built by humans:D:banghead:

SAD
06-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I had a 2008 Weekend Warrior 5th wheel TH. It didn't delaminates. From the outside, it looked awesome. It just rotted from the mid-wall down. Undetectable from the outside.

Buckeyemurph
06-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I believe my Cougar has fiberglass problems because it was stored outside in the Ohio winters and the melting snow and ice eventually worked its' way in. If I get a new Rv I will store it indoors or cover it up.

SteveC7010
06-16-2012, 01:21 PM
It's not the weather that causes delamination. It's either moisture penetration that can be prevented by good maintenance of the joints and seams or improper bonding of the laminate layers. Thousands of RV's are stored outside in northern winter conditions without problems.

I believe my Cougar has fiberglass problems because it was stored outside in the Ohio winters and the melting snow and ice eventually worked its' way in. If I get a new Rv I will store it indoors or cover it up.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bniau4