PDA

View Full Version : Water heater

Benrubid
06-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I just bought a fuzion 322 and am still learning. When I am at a campground I am confused on whether I am using gas or electric to heat the water heater, or both. I thought that the switch in the bathroom turned the electric on for the water heater. If I leave it off does that mean the gas will automatically heat the water or is there a separate switch I am missing.

maxx1963
08-08-2012, 02:07 PM
The switch in the bathroom is the propane, outside under the hot water heater cover is a black rocker switch marked on/off, it might be kinda hidden that is the electric side.

GMcKenzie
08-08-2012, 02:14 PM
And, as to which to use, kinda depends on the power at the site. Blew a breaker this weekend as I had the water heater and fridge on 110v and plugged in the coffee maker. Once it was reset I turned the water heater off and had no more issues.

30 amps is not enough sometimes.

maxx1963
08-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Good to know!

mudmaker
08-27-2012, 04:22 AM
I will be moving that hidden little switch it the inside control panel this week. I don't know why the builders of the water heater think this is an acceptable solution to turn the electric side on and off.
Have only had Atwood heaters so this is the first Suburban for me. Not handy to go outside to turn the electric side on and off.
Funny part is some friends of mine have had one longer than I have and we discussed the fact that the inside switch is only gas unless there are two and one is labeled electric. After I fix mine I may fix there's if they want me to.

JRTJH
08-27-2012, 06:34 AM
I will be moving that hidden little switch it the inside control panel this week. I don't know why the builders of the water heater think this is an acceptable solution to turn the electric side on and off.
Have only had Atwood heaters so this is the first Suburban for me. Not handy to go outside to turn the electric side on and off.
Funny part is some friends of mine have had one longer than I have and we discussed the fact that the inside switch is only gas unless there are two and one is labeled electric. After I fix mine I may fix there's if they want me to.

You might not realize it, but you already have a water heater electric switch inside. The circuit breaker is essentially a switch that you can use to turn the electric element on and off. If I were doing it 3 or 4 times a day, I might not want to rely on the breaker, but for occasional, "we need to use the toaster this morning" kind of sporadic use, just the breaker may save you the modification.

As for why the manufacturer put the switch on the water heater, it's because most "RV assemblers" don't want to spend the extra bucks to add wiring and additional switches, so they order the heater with a switch ($3) and save the cost of the extra wiring ($13).... Maximize profits without regard to convenience ???

mudmaker
08-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Switch moved. I enjoy working on things in the camper anyway. Good point though with the breaker.
Only took about an hour and I stopped to get a drink and listen to the radio.

therink
08-27-2012, 07:23 AM
That is odd how inconsistent Keystone can be. My water heater has one switch for electric on the heater, one at the command center, and a breaker. There is also a switch for propane at the command center.
You'd think they would wire them all the same.

JRTJH
08-27-2012, 07:42 AM
That is odd how inconsistent Keystone can be. My water heater has one switch for electric on the heater, one at the command center, and a breaker. There is also a switch for propane at the command center.
You'd think they would wire them all the same.

I think the only thing about Keystone's consistency is that it is "consistently inconsistent" LOL

Yak
08-27-2012, 04:17 PM
My little 160EXP has both switches in the bathroom.