PDA

View Full Version : 2 more rookie questions (box liner, tonneau cover)

turner46
06-11-2012, 05:47 PM
OK all, probably sounds like another dumb question but like said before first time rv owner and soon to be first time truck owner. First question, for spray in box liner over rail or under what is the difference and what is the benefits of either, ive been quoted with the over being $50 more. Also for the tonneau cover what are the pros and cons of these options? roll and lock and hard folding or a soft or body coloured molded.

Thanks

f6bits
06-11-2012, 07:23 PM
No, that’s *two* dumb questions, and I’m just the person to give you two dumb answers.

1) I’ve had two Line-X spray-in liners, both under rail. Over rail is if you like lugging stuff over the side of your bed. I don’t think it looks good. On my Ranger, I did opt for over the lip of the tailgate so I could let long 2x4s rest on the top of the tailgate. My F150 already comes with the plastic caps around the bed so over rail isn’t necessary.

2) Tonneau covers come down to cost. Soft covers are less expensive. I prefer the tri-fold soft cover as it’s all I need. Hard covers weigh more, are more secure, and cost more. They can also be painted to match.

Scottinvt
06-12-2012, 12:56 AM
I have had spray in liners for years and I love them over the rail . Also the tonneau covers are a must. For my fifth wheel we used a roll up cover.

TAZ23
06-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Most spray in liners come in several available colors and it may be possible to get one to blend in with your trucks paint so it wont stick out like a sore thumb if you go "over the rail". I prefer over the rail but to each his own. Go with what you are most comfortable with.
For tonneau covers I like the soft trifold from Lund, but there are other manufacturers also. It goes on,off, or open for travel in about 60 seconds and can easily be installed by one person.

mguay
06-12-2012, 02:35 AM
As TAZ23 said...Over the rail and tinted to match the color of the truck. My trifold cover is a Trifecta. My second one on 2 trucks. Easy to fold and remove if needed...even in below freezing temps.

JRTJH
06-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Many, but not all new trucks come equipped with bed rails/tailgate rail covers that pretty much negate the "over the rail" spray on bed liner. Ford bedrail covers are an integral part of the bed and can't be easily removed. I wouldn't think you'd want to spray them.

What truck are you going to spray? You may find that there's no need depending on the model.

Halibutman214
06-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Absolutely over the rail. It looks sharp and the first time you drag something over it you will be glad you did.

SAABDOCTOR
06-12-2012, 07:40 AM
HI here is my 10 cents worth (inflation) i have line x spray in and it is over the rail no scratches on the bed but i did someting elase. i sprayed the threshold /rocker pannels. with my work boots they got scrached up fast been 7 years not a mark on them. as far as the cover... i never had one on this truck but theother truck whicn i plowed snow with i used the fabric roll up it fit over the pile of sand and salt. (don't miss that anymore):D

chris199
06-12-2012, 08:57 AM
My 2 cents:
Go over the rail with Line-X. Have had 2 LineX liners.love them! My trucks have had a plastic rail protector but if they didn't I would go over the rail. They an make a very clean edge.

Have Advantage folding cover. Be aware some ome with clamps that have to attah to your bed rails. The one I bought has handles that diretly attach to my oem bed rails....no additional clamps needed. I lock my tailgate and I'm good. Of course...can just cut thru the fabric. Upgraded fabric to onvertible top quality...does a good job! Easy on. Easy off. Can fold out of the way if needed.

turner46
06-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Many, but not all new trucks come equipped with bed rails/tailgate rail covers that pretty much negate the "over the rail" spray on bed liner. Ford bedrail covers are an integral part of the bed and can't be easily removed. I wouldn't think you'd want to spray them.

What truck are you going to spray? You may find that there's no need depending on the model.

Most likely a steel grey 2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Dually

http://www.cmpauto.com/2012-GMC-Sierra-3500HD-Denali-Calgary-Alberta-Canada/vd/9132664

JRTJH
06-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Most likely a steel grey 2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Dually

http://www.cmpauto.com/2012-GMC-Sierra-3500HD-Denali-Calgary-Alberta-Canada/vd/9132664

Double check with your dealer there, but in the US, that truck comes standard with plastic bed rail protectors already installed.