PDA

View Full Version : W/D Setup Correct?

fishin technician
06-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Yesterday, I compared the heights of the front and rear fender wells unloaded vs. loaded. Just want to see if anyone thinks the changes are within the acceptable range. I'm towing a 2012 19FBPR with a 2011 Nissan Frontier. Max tongue weight for this vehicle is 650lbs with a W/D hitch. Dry tongue weight is approx 430 lbs per specs. I'm using an equalizer 4 pt system, installed by the dealer. I read the front shouldn't travel up more than 1/4''. I looks level when loaded.

Unloaded

Front 33 1/2'' Rear 34 1/4''

Loaded

Front 34'' Rear 33 1/2''

The front traveled up 1/2'', and the rear went down 1 1/2''

Do these changes seem to be within the acceptable range?

f6bits
06-11-2012, 05:48 AM
That’s acceptable. I’m only looking at the front, since that’s what WD is all about – moving some of the weight up front. I believe that the instructions want the front to end up halfway between unloaded and loaded *without* wd hooked up. But I aim for less than a half-inch raise up front.

The other elements are that your trailer should be level. Measure the front and rear frame heights. They should be the same.

As a final check, the spring bar on the Equalizer should be parallel to the A Frame it’s mounted to. If not, like it’s way jacked up to the highest holes, you’ll have to add one or more washers to the hitch head.

fishin technician
06-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the response. I'll take those measurements and compare the bars to the frame this weekend.

f6bits
06-11-2012, 09:50 AM
If you ever get the chance, take your fully loaded setup to a scale and weigh the front and rear axles, and trailer. A CAT (three-platform) scale will do this in one go, but a regular scale will do if you pull up a bit at a time to get three readings: Front, Front&Rear, Front&Rear&Trailer. Then compare the weights with what’s on your truck’s door sticker to make sure you’re still within limits.

chuck&gail
06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Yes watch TV rear GAWR, you likely need more washers.

Personally I do not ever want front end to rise when hooked up, as that means the wheels I steer with have LESS traction when I'm towing. That isn't what I want. Bet if you weigh TV front and rear axles both loaded and unloaded your front axle weights are lighter with TT attached. Some like that, I don't. No trouble yet in over 200,000 miles, so it works for me.

fishin technician
06-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I'll be sure to check GAWR also. Is it best to use a weigh station off the interstate, or find a flying J? I don't believe I have any around. I'll have to check.

f6bits
06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
If your freeway weigh stations are like ours, they don’t want pickups pulling in there. There’s gotta be some private ones around BR.
http://catscale.com/ (there are three near you)

fishin technician
06-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out