PDA

View Full Version : Slideout Awnings

HotRod1570
06-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Hello,
I was thinking of putting on slideout awning on my fifth wheel. My question is which ones to go with and should I get the ones with the shield on them. Plus are they hard to put on or should I have them installed.

Thanks,
Paul

eds451
06-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I put a Carefree on my 5th wheel shortly after I bought it. Fairly easy to do.My slide is not too wide (dinette only) and I was able to do it by myself. But a friend makes it more fun.

Festus2
06-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Dometic and Carefree seem to be the most popular types and you probably can't go wrong with either. Just make sure you have the measurements right before you order and that you take the slope of your roof into consideration. As mentioned above, having two people doing this job makes it easier and if either one of you are the least bit handy, it shouldn't prove too difficult.
I squeezed some sealant into the screw holes and used SS screws when I did mine. We were pleased with the addition and would recommend this upgrade for anyone.
I believe there is a YouTube video out there somewhere --- perhaps one of Keystones. I'd check that out before you proceed as the installation looks quite easy.

Jim & Kay
06-10-2012, 04:04 AM
On our Keystone 5er, we had our slide awnings installed by the dealer before we picked it up. They are the A&E with the metal wrap. We installed a slide awning on our smaller TT, the DW & I did the installation in approx. 4 hrs. IMHO it is definitely a job requiring an assistant. As Festus said it is a must to add the sealant to your screw holes and I went the extra step and put a clear bead of sealant on top of the awning rail. You will never be sorry for installing the slide awnings, they are a good investment and do much to protect the top of the slide.