PDA

View Full Version : Heat Pump-Or Electric heat strip

Nudels2u75
06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
I want to purchase the additional AC/Heat for front of Camper above 5th wheel...I do not know much about AC/Heat but I was told the one with the Heat Pump on it actually runs better and is better equipped. The one with the heat strip I could add it myself. Has anybody done any research on this.
thanks

jbsmith
06-08-2012, 03:18 PM
IMO the heat strips are useless, but YMMV. I added one to our 24 ft hybrid. I think they help take the chill off, but certainly aren't enough to provide a primary source of heat. You'll be better served with an electric ceramic heater.

Bob Landry
06-08-2012, 03:25 PM
The heat pump and straight cool models are made using the same components as far as the compressor, evaporator, condenser and fan. The difference is that the heat pump will have a reversing vale which does nothing but redirect the flow of refrigerant through the system and the necessary control circuits to operate it.

chuck&gail
06-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Heat pumps are great, heat strips are worthless IMO. Heat pumps work great for temps above 40 degrees, below that use your furnace. Sure saves propane.

JRTJH
06-08-2012, 06:31 PM
In a "very cold" environment, heat strips may not work well (limited BTU's) but in the southeast (Louisiana and Mississippi) we found that the one in our Holiday Rambler worked "too well" on most nights. We would go to bed with the heat strip on and the A/C fan on low and about midnight or so, we'd wake up thirsty and kicking the covers off. I'd usually wind up turning it off around 2 or 3 AM. In the morning, we'd turn on the furnace for a couple minutes to take the chill off, then just use the heat strip for the rest of the day. Of course that was in temps around 40 - 60. Any colder and I'd agree, heat strips probably wouldn't be enough to stay warm in a larger RV.

ktmracer
06-09-2012, 02:28 PM
the heat strips or heat pump really serve two different purposes.

The heat strips are about 1500watts, 4500BTU, basically the same thing as a portable electric heater. Our experience is that once the trailer is up to temp, the heatstrip will keep it warm, and since we have ducted air, heatstrip air is also ducted and the whole trailer stays warm, and it is on the same thermostat. So, in our experience better than a small portable electric heater, but more expensive.

A heat pump is really another "furnace", BTU output should be in the same range as AC, something near 13-15K BTU so more of a substitute for a propane furnace.

Nudels2u75
06-11-2012, 01:45 AM
I would like to purchase a coleman, with a heat pump, where is the best place to get it at, local dealership here in Davinport quoted me $1,500.00 installed. I think that may be a bit high.

I have seen them on the internet for around $900.00 plus shipping...