PDA

View Full Version : Crack in black tank

JBE-Dad
06-06-2012, 04:36 AM
While traveling through Ohio I had a chunk of tire fly up and hit the black tank for the rear bathroom and cause a 4" crack. It didn't take any pieces of the tank out, just a straight line crack. Has anybody had any luck with repairing a crack of will the entire tank need to be replaced?

I was thinking of using a marine grade JB Weld on it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

jsmith948
06-06-2012, 05:09 AM
If you try to repair the tank, I would "stop-drill" each end of the crack first.
I wonder if you could find a flat piece of like material (maybe from another damaged tank) and glue it over the crack as a patch?
I don't know how much these tanks are and would all that be worth the trouble
Good luck!:)

handye9
06-06-2012, 05:27 AM
There's a similar discussion going on at RV.net. Here is the link http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26103717.cfm

I repaired a crack on brothers truck camper. Used 6" wide fiberglass drywall tape, and Vulkem 116 caulking. Vulkem manufacturers website says, it can be used for patching ponds and swimming pools.

Going on three years since we did the tank repair, no leaks.

fla-gypsy
06-06-2012, 02:45 PM
I repaired a small crack one time with some RTV sealant and it held good. If the crack is in an area that gets a lot of pressure when the tank is full

JBE-Dad
06-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I called the tank manufacturer and they advised using ABS glue on the crack, so I tried that yesterday. I am going to let it set up a few days before I fill it up with water so fingers are crossed.

2008 Ford F350
2009 Cougar 293SAB

JRTJH
06-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Just a thought, I've never done this, but Harbor Freight is one of my "favorite stores" and they have a plastic welder for about $30 or so. I wonder if that might make a permanent repair in holding tanks or even in fresh water tanks? Has anyone done any plastic welding? If so, how did it go?

Mighty Ming
06-20-2012, 12:26 AM
On my previous TT I had a crack in the gray tank. I used a permatex repair kit which included a Fiberglass patch and epoxy that gets warm when mixed and applied. Repair was instant and was still holding when I sold her 2 yrs later. And yes I drilled small holes on each end of 5 inch crack. Should this TT ever develop a crack I will use the same stuff. The hardest part of the repair was having to lay under the TT. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBE-Dad
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Ok I used the ABS glue as advised from the manufacturer, let it setup a few days then I put an epoxy putty over the entire area and let it setup good.

We've been camping twice since, first time I didn't let the kids use the back bathroom because I wanted it all to setup a little longer. This camping trip they used their bathroom and all looked good.

So hopefully all that worked and will hold, if not new tank it will be but I want to avoid that.

Thanks for all the help with ideas everybody!!

Mighty Ming
07-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Glad to hear that worked out for you. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk