PDA

View Full Version : Generator noise

SmittysRV
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I just picked up our Raptor 4014 lev from the shop for some small fixes and repairs. When I picked it up the batteries were dead. I towed it home and started the gen up for a few. After a short time I started to hear a strange ticking sound from the gen. I went out and opened the gen front cover to locate the sound and it shut off. I Thought these things will run with the front panel off, how else r u to start it using the switch on gen? Anyway, now when I hit the prime and once the red light illuminates the clicking noise starts.. The gen will not start now either. Does anyone have a clue what's up here? Thx in advance!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kjs3hl

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
06-04-2012, 10:47 AM
What brand and model generator.

Look to see if there is a switch of some sort where the front panel is located. As you have said it should start and run without it in place, especially if there is a start circuit uner the panel. Just ned to double check.

As far as the clicking got no idea, but could be a relay popping in and out. Starter relay, choke relay would be simple ones. Power does remain constant when clicking? Sure it is on the generator?

So now lets addess the no start. Does it turn over? Does it turn over easily/quickly? How old is the fuel? Is there fuel at carb? Is there spark? When was the last time the carb was cleaned/fuel filter done?

tileman
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
I have a fuzion with a 5500 onan I was told to leave the front panel on because it keeps it cooler.

I know mine blows tons of air out the bottom but if I have the front panel off
it cuts in down in 1/2

Ron.

hankpage
06-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Is the red light you mention a low oil shut off???? If so it should have cut out before you heard ticking.

hankaye
06-04-2012, 03:17 PM
SmittysRV, Howdy;

Check the fuel level ???

hankaye

SmittysRV
06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
SmittysRV, Howdy;

Check the fuel level ???

hankaye

Great question..... The gauge inside indicates about an 1/8 tank but after some thought about the ticking I also thought, "is there enough fuel"? :eek: The red light im talking about lights up when you prime the gen before starting it. It light red to indicate that it is primed and ready to start. The ticking is there during the prime function and the starting function. I hope it is just low on fuel. I will be checking on that as soon as I get a day off. Thx for all the info(tx)

BMcCutcheon
06-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I have a 5550 Onan mounted in the nose of my Trailer as well. Is yours a Gasoline or Propane Gen. Mine is Propane and makes that noise when I hold down the primer. The dealer told me that the noise is the igniter.

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
06-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a 5550 Onan mounted in the nose of my Trailer as well. Is yours a Gasoline or Propane Gen. Mine is Propane and makes that noise when I hold down the primer. The dealer told me that the noise is the igniter.

JEEEEZzZZZ I hope it is not an igniter popping during a prime. Unless you have one of those "EXTERNAL" combustion egines. Look them up I was involved in testing on one for a few years. The thing would basically burn any flammable liquid. Just did not fit our application at the time.

Vidorcom
06-05-2012, 02:32 PM
you ran it out of fuel..The ticking noise is the pump trying to get fuel. If mine is low and not level it will make that noise until no more duel

SmittysRV
06-05-2012, 02:53 PM
you ran it out of fuel..The ticking noise is the pump trying to get fuel. If mine is low and not level it will make that noise until no more duel

Awesome!!! As much of a dumn a$$ :banghead: as I feel, im glad its gonna be a simple fix. I still havent checked as my next day off is thurseday. The more I think about it im sure thats what it is........(tx)

hankaye
06-09-2012, 07:16 PM
SmittysRV, Howdy;

Did a fresh tank of fuel fix the problem ???

Did ya check to see if the filter (if it has one),
needed changed (clogged or otherwise) ???

hankaye

SmittysRV
06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Yes!!! I was able to get some fuel in it today. I hit the prime and it clicked for about 2 seconds and stopped. Hit start and the gen fire right up!!! Nice work! It was a tight fit getting fuel in it and I buggered up the stucco a little. My truck is still in shop gettin the tranny beefed up so i couldn't move it. Thx all for the help!!14101411

hankaye
06-10-2012, 03:28 PM
SmittysRV, Howdy;

GREAT! Glad to hear it was something that simple. "bouncey:

Easier and cheaper to fix stucco then it is fiberglass :D

hankaye