PDA

View Full Version : tying down awning

matstam13
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
anyone have experience with tying down an awning that doesnt have the bar running parrallel to the awning. everybody i see that has their awing tied down has the bar and they clip those flap reducers to it. the bar on our alpine goes from the roller at an angle down to the trailer. im worried if i were to leave it out and tied down that the wind would rip it up.
thanks

SteveC7010
06-02-2012, 10:37 AM
anyone have experience with tying down an awning that doesnt have the bar running parrallel to the awning. everybody i see that has their awing tied down has the bar and they clip those flap reducers to it. the bar on our alpine goes from the roller at an angle down to the trailer. im worried if i were to leave it out and tied down that the wind would rip it up.
thanks

If it is a power awning, the manufacturers recommend that you roll up the awning during windy periods or rain storms for exactly that reason.

We had the traditional manual roll out awning on our last trailer and with the flappers and some ingenuity, it could be set up to withstand some pretty heavy rainstorms and wind. That won't be happening with the power awning on the Cougar... :(

jje1960
06-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Actually, other than getting our awning system destroyed one night at Bristol (Freak Storm) We do use Bungee Cords with our electric awning to keep it stable during the breeze at Myrtle Beach. If it's getting really windy, yea, it's going in... Already cost us a $500.00 deductible...

therink
06-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I have an A&E electric awning. I set the pitch, tighten the tension knobs on the arms to lock it, and then strap the roller ends to heavy stakes into the ground. This set up keeps the awning good and tight, thus not flapping in the wind or putting stress on the hardware. Of course I'll bring the awning in during real heavy wind or storms.

johnnyrose
06-03-2012, 03:40 AM
I have seen everything from tying off to trees and picnic tables to using the screw in type dog stakes to hold down the awning. I have also seen everything from rachet straps to bungee cords to rope to tie them down as well. It seems to be a matter of preference and trial and error to find out what works for you. I am looking to solve the same issue. Good luck!:USA:

Jim & Kay
06-03-2012, 08:05 AM
We, also, have a 20' power awning that we use a sunscreen with. We stake in a few bungees at the bottom, to prevent it from flapping in the wind. I like having it set up so I can remove it quickly, if need be. We've experienced close calls in the past with other awnings, so now I feel an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..........

matstam13
06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
thanks for the info i will try it and see what happens

dunnnc
10-27-2012, 07:43 AM
I have seen everything from tying off to trees and picnic tables to using the screw in type dog stakes to hold down the awning. I have also seen everything from rachet straps to bungee cords to rope to tie them down as well. It seems to be a matter of preference and trial and error to find out what works for you. I am looking to solve the same issue. Good luck!:USA:

I came up with these to use to tie down my power awning. Takes the load off the flimsy arms and supports the tube when we put the shade screen on. Had 3 days & nights of 15-20 mph winds and rain in FL in Jul and the arms never moved. They telescope from 6.5' to 9.5'.

reubenray
10-27-2012, 12:42 PM
We, also, have a 20' power awning that we use a sunscreen with. We stake in a few bungees at the bottom, to prevent it from flapping in the wind. I like having it set up so I can remove it quickly, if need be. We've experienced close calls in the past with other awnings, so now I feel an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..........

What sunscreen did you get? If there was a negative on our trip that we just finished it was needing a sunscreen.

lenny G
10-29-2012, 01:33 PM
I came up with these to use to tie down my power awning. Takes the load off the flimsy arms and supports the tube when we put the shade screen on. Had 3 days & nights of 15-20 mph winds and rain in FL in Jul and the arms never moved. They telescope from 6.5' to 9.5'.

I really like your set up, looks factory! Where did you get the poles? Looks like they could be easily removable.

Htfiremedic
10-29-2012, 06:54 PM
How did you make the poles?