PDA

View Full Version : A/C Running Constantly???

reubenray
06-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Is it normal for the A/C to run until the temperature comes down to the set temperature and then the fan runs until the A/C kicks on again?

Roberson4
06-01-2012, 03:18 AM
It depends on what AC you have, and/or on what you have the fan set on (auto or on)

Our ducted air unit has a separate thermostat, that has a fan setting of auto or on on it. If set to on the fan will run all the time.
The AC unit in the bedroom has all the AC/heater control on the AC unit itself. This unit is a fan on all the time unit.

Terrydactile
06-01-2012, 03:21 AM
You should have two modes for the fan, ON and AUTO. When in "auto" mode the fan cycles with the AC compressor. If the fan switch is in the "on" position the fan will run continuously.

reubenray
06-01-2012, 04:03 AM
The factory installed thermostat has three settings on it. They are Fan, Cool and Furnace. I have it set on Cool.

jsmith948
06-01-2012, 06:06 AM
The factory installed thermostat has three settings on it. They are Fan, Cool and Furnace. I have it set on Cool.

On our 2011 Cougar 282res, the thermostat reads from left to right "cool - fan - off - heat". When the a/c is selected, the fan shuts off when the unit cycles.
Seems like there was another thread on this - maybe it was in regard to furnace operation - they all seem to be different -depending on brand of unit I guess:)

byrdr1
06-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Is it normal for the A/C to run until the temperature comes down to the set temperature and then the fan runs until the A/C kicks on again?
MY Cougar the themostat needs to be in the fan mode, then you can cycle from auto, low, high fan speeds. Then when you set it to cool what-ever the setting on the fan mode will be mode the AC runs. Also if the fan speed is in auto and you turn the heat on, the AC unit will cycle the fan on the AC unit (I guess to help move warm through out the camper).To keep the AC unit from working while the heat is on you must set the fan speeds to high or low.
randy

reubenray
06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
That worked. I switched it to fan and cycled it to Auto. Then I switched back to cool and it now actually turns off after it reaches the set temperature.

Thanks!!

JRTJH
06-01-2012, 05:35 PM
That worked. I switched it to fan and cycled it to Auto. Then I switched back to cool and it now actually turns off after it reaches the set temperature.

Thanks!!

What you discovered is the same way our thermostat/air conditioner works. We leave it set for the fan to turn off during the day (less constant noise to listen to) but at bedtime, we turn the fan on and let the A/C cycle the compressor. For us, it seems to be less stuffy in the bedroom if the fan keeps the air moving, the "white noise" helps mask outside noises that would normally wake us up and we don't get startled by the A/C coming on and shutting off, rather we have the constant fan noise. Seems to make it easier for us to sleep through the night without interruptions. Your view may differ.....

fla-gypsy
06-01-2012, 06:19 PM
I run my fan constant even with A/C but either way is fine.