PDA

View Full Version : keep it plugged in ?

sparkync1
05-31-2012, 05:52 PM
hey guys need some opinions here...just got my first tt and am curious is it ok to keep it plugged in all summer while at home ? nothing running just plugged in.....we plan to take at least one trip a month untill october and i'm still getting it arranged inside so im constsntly in and out of it while its here in the driveway...thanks for any advice

f6bits
05-31-2012, 06:00 PM
I’d keep it plugged in. The worst that could happen is that the so-so converter won’t do a good job of keeping your batteries charged. Just be sure to check the water level in the batteries from time to time. I think best practice is to disconnect the battery when you check the water level.

SAD
05-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Mine is plugged in 24x7x365. Fridge running and camper stocked with basics.

If I decide on Friday at 1:45 pm I wanna go camping, I email my wife and she'll meet me at the campsite when she gets off work.

sparkync1
05-31-2012, 06:10 PM
ok sounds good thanks scott.....just didnt wanna damage the converter

sparkync1
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
even better sad that was another question i was gonna ask....about the fridge......im new but already hooked so i could come in any given evening from work and take off just like u said and text wife to meet me at the campground

SAD
05-31-2012, 06:15 PM
even better sad that was another question i was gonna ask....about the fridge......im new but already hooked so i could come in any given evening from work and take off just like u said and text wife to meet me at the campground

Good deal! Use it. That's what they're for!

JRTJH
05-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Sparky,

As long as your trailer is reasonably level, running the refrigerator shouldn't be an issue (other than electricity used). If you aren't level enough to "be comfortable inside the RV" then Dometic suggests you not operate the refrigerator in that condition... So, as for the batteries, check them weekly for water level, refrigerator, run it like you own it as long as you're comfortable that the trailer is reasonably level.....

Enjoy your camping, life's too short not to take advantage of the time you have, even if it is a spur of the moment weekend. I find that they are usually the most enjoyable...

John

sparkync1
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM
jrtjh i always level my trailer when its at home...i bring it in level it up and put the jacks down....is this crazy ?

Clanton24v
06-01-2012, 11:24 AM
jrtjh i always level my trailer when its at home...i bring it in level it up and put the jacks down....is this crazy ?

I always do that too even if it's only a few days till I take it out again.

SAABDOCTOR
06-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Sparky i always level the trailer when i park it! I dont get to use very often, but when its at home it's my wifes hide out. She is a teacher if she is in it with a glass of wine the kids get better grades lol.:) and it's always plugged in check the water every 2-3 weeks.

sparkync1
06-01-2012, 03:49 PM
haha saab i like the way she thinks.....i am in mine "messing around" almost daily....yeah im hooked already !

Lluker
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I see lots of comments regarding the "water level in your battery".... most batteries are now sealed so why would you suggest checking the water level?

SteveC7010
07-06-2012, 11:26 AM
I see lots of comments regarding the "water level in your battery".... most batteries are now sealed so why would you suggest checking the water level?

Because most marine/RV deep-cycle batteries are not sealed.

The deep-cycle aspect of them requires occasional topping off of the water.

azlee56
07-06-2012, 11:45 AM
At first I didn't know you really didn't use regular car batteries in an RV. One of my first educations.

Englishman
07-06-2012, 11:48 AM
We leave our plugged in with the fridge running ready to go. I disconnect the battery if its going to site for more than a couple of days.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

SAABDOCTOR
07-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I KEEP MINE PLUGGED IN 24/7 CHECK THE BATTERY ONCE A MONTH EVERY 4MONTHS I UN PLUG IT TO LET THE BATTERY CYLE DOWN A BIT NO REASON JUST ALWAYS DONE IT. BATTERY RARELY TAKES ANY WATER. NOW THAT I SAID THAT IT IS PROWLEY DRY NOW:eek:

volvosweetie
07-06-2012, 01:33 PM
We keep ours plugged in when it is at home, fridge on its my hideout to. We homeschool our boys (16 1/2 and 10 1/2) fight like cats and dogs ya know. So when the weather is nice I sneak out there and pretend I am on a very nice vacation alone. LOL:D, sometimes my husband comes to and we sit and watch the Long Long Trailer. My favorite movie. when we first got our previous camper my husband looked just like him pulling our camper even the boys love this movie because of that we usually watch it when we go on vacation. We do pull the slides in everytime we mow in the spring and summer and usually about once a month in the winter to exercise them. I think that as much as they cost you should make good use of them all you can. Plus if any thing is wrong your likely to catch it early. LOL"bouncey:

mikell
07-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Simple rule to keep your sanity. pend at least one weekend a month in your camper even if it;s in your driveway. You will find you spend more and more time there till your house becomes a burden that you really don't need. But what do I know I'm just a fulltimer