PDA

View Full Version : Steve, or who ever would know?

sandy43
05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Reference Electrical. Could I plug the shore power plug (30 amp cord) into a generator (Honda 3000) and have sufficient power for minor things, within amps? No ATS or Iota on RV, just plug direct to generator. Would this be a problem to my RV? I live in Hurricane country and I might need to do this at some point. Steve was recommended to ask or anyone who might have this type of knowledge. Thanks

hankpage
05-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Thats what they are made for. Your trailer will not know the difference between shore power 30amp or generator 30amp. Your generator may not give you a sustained 30amps. But it will operate what you need but not at the same time. You can run A/C but not with micro or water heater and so on.

SteveC7010
05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Reference Electrical. Could I plug the shore power plug (30 amp cord) into a generator (Honda 3000) and have sufficient power for minor things, within amps? No ATS or Iota on RV, just plug direct to generator. Would this be a problem to my RV? I live in Hurricane country and I might need to do this at some point. Steve was recommended to ask or anyone who might have this type of knowledge. Thanks

The Honda eu3000 is plenty of generator for a 30 amp rv system. But even the eu1000 is adequate if you don't want to use the air conditioner or microwave or mama's hairdryer.

SAD
05-31-2012, 06:11 PM
The Honda eu3000 is plenty of generator for a 30 amp rv system. But even the eu1000 is adequate if you don't want to use the air conditioner or microwave or mama's hairdryer.

Yup ^

And I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

JRTJH
05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
One consideration when using a "small" generator (800 - 1200 watts) to power an RV is that the converter will draw up to 12 amps (1380 watts) if the battery is nearly dead and needs to be charged. So, in that situation, if you want to power your RV with a small generator and it keeps tripping the circuit breaker on the generator, disconnect your battery and you should be able to run your lights, etc on the generator.

Of course, if you're using a generator with an output of 1500 watts or higher, this usually won't be a problem, it's just with the smaller generators.

golfpro
05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
you may need to buy an adapter to get the TT to plug into the generator.

SAABDOCTOR
06-01-2012, 05:44 AM
Hi yes you can plug your shore power cord into your generator just do not try to run more than the unit is capable of.the honda puts out clean power so you will not damage any computor/sensitive electronics. hope you never need it"bouncey: