PDA

View Full Version : Awning adjustment

Fishnmagician
05-30-2012, 07:54 AM
New member here, this is a nice forum you have here. My ? is there a way to adjust the elec power awning (lower one side to shed rain off) on my '08 sprinter 371bhs.

Jseverence
05-30-2012, 05:07 PM
If your awning is like mine on my Outback, just loosen the knob that locks the awning in place on the side you like to lower. Then pull down the arm that is locked by that knob to where you would like it lowered too. While holding the arm down, tighten the knob back up. the awning should now be where you want it.

f6bits
05-30-2012, 05:12 PM
I *always* keep that knob loosened. I think it needs to slide when opening or closing the awning. But when I need to lower one (or both ends), I pull the awning down and tighten the knob.

Tip for the slow-thinkers such as myself. If installing awning lights, you don’t need a step stool. Lower both ends of the awning. It took me about three trips to figure that one out. :o

Jseverence
05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Sdayman, I agree that they need to be loose to close the awning, but need to be tighten to deal with wind gust. Anyway during the dealer walk thru, the tech said to tighten them. So that what I have been doing.

f6bits
05-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I don’t tighten mine mostly because I don’t want to forget to loosen them when I bring the awning in. When it’s been gusty, tightening the knobs didn’t stop the clunking around. When it’s *really* gusty, I bring the awning in.

Fishnmagician
05-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Sorry guys, this is a power awning, not a manual one, there are no knobs to lock or adjust, just a button inside to extend and retrack.

f6bits
05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Mine is also a power awning. On the support bar that angles from the trailer to near the end of the awning is a long slot. Part of the support bar slides into the other part. There’s a knob that’ll tighten that connection.

KanTC
05-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Fishnmagician. :wave:

When the A & E (Dometic) Power Awnings were first introduced they didn't have adjustable arms
as they do now. Our previous 5th wheel (08 model, built in 07) didn't have them either. Around
2009, Dometic provided a retro-fit arm kit, upon request & "free of charge" to RV owners. I don't
know if the kits are even still available, but your Keystone dealer may know or may still have some.
You might also contact Dometic customer service: http://dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/RV-Products

There were 2 different retro kits, based on the awning size/weight... you'll need to provide the
serial numbers (located 'somewhere' on the awning arms & might be INSIDE the cupped portion). ;)

Hope this helps!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Fishnmagician
05-31-2012, 05:05 AM
Thank you for the help, Terri that is the info I need, Like you said, they must of made them adjustable after '08. Thanks again. I guess I need the reto fit kit.

f6bits
05-31-2012, 05:12 AM
If the retro kit isn’t available, can’t a C-Clamp accomplish the same thing if there’s a good spot to clamp?

Jim & Kay
05-31-2012, 03:27 PM
We, also, have the power awning on our 2012 HC 5er and it has the locking arms with shocks. I was told in my walk thru, I could either tip the awning and tighten the knob or leave them loose in case of rain and the awning would tip itself to prevent damage from puddleing. Being old school, I usually tip it myself, just to be sure.

bartletts
06-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I tip mine myself because most of the sites I camp in aren't very even and I like to control where the rain water dumps to. I've been thinking about adding a rain chain or gutter to push the water farther away from the trailer.

slider
06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
I loosen mine on one side, manually tilt, then tighten. I sometimes forget to loosen before closing but need to do a better job remembering before I damage something.

I also tie down each end of the awing with spikes, rope and bungee to kept it from flapping and making noise all night. The bungee allows it to move some but not enough to clunk and pop.