PDA

View Full Version : Best portable generator

28Bunkhouse
05-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Can anyone give advise on the best generator to purchase so we can run the 120v appliances including air? I have a huge 8600 watt unit but want something more portable.(tx)

SteveC7010
05-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Honda 2K and 3K models are the most popular. Honda offers a cable that lets you run two of the eu2000i's together to give enough juice to run one AC and the rest of the trailer.

If you "have" to run two AC's, you're looking at 5K to 6K min.

Yamaha gets high marks, too.

Halibutman214
05-24-2012, 03:41 PM
As far as I know Yamaha has a pretty good reputation and after quite a bit of research I'm going to go with the Yamaha EF2400iSHC. I can run my 13,500 BTU A/C with it and spare the expense of 2 generators. Won't be able to run much else at the same time but then it won't be often I need the A/C.

28Bunkhouse
05-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys, which would be the most quiet?(tx)

SteveC7010
05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
That is a toss-up. They're both about the same at approx. 53 db.

Jim & Kay
05-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Both the Honda & Yamaha Generators are great, depending on the size of the AC. If it is a 13500 BTU unit either the Honda 2000 or the Yamaha 2400 should do a good job on the AC only, having said that we have a 2400 Yamaha that did great on the 13500 AC but now we have a 15000 BTU AC and since our Yamaha was not the correct model to pair with another, we had to invest in a 4500 Ramsond. Yea, I know it's from China but does a good job running the 15000 AC with some power left over. And to my surprise, it is fairly quiet and, also, came with an electric start.

f6bits
05-25-2012, 05:18 PM
I’d be surprised if a Honda 2000 could start up a 13.5k A/C. My Yamaha 2000 won’t, even with a hard-start capacitor.

Jim & Kay
05-25-2012, 06:15 PM
I’d be surprised if a Honda 2000 could start up a 13.5k A/C. My Yamaha 2000 won’t, even with a hard-start capacitor.

My buddy has a Honda 2000 Generator that he uses with his 13500 Coleman AC and it does a great job. We met him in 2008 and he was using it then and continues to use it with no problems. The AC must be turned off before he uses the microwave. Never had any experience with the Yamaha 2000 since I have the 2400 Yamaha and did a good job with the 13.5K on our previous campers.

JRTJH
05-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Before you purchase a 2000 watt generator of any kind to power an airconditioner, do a forum search for generators. There has been significant discussion regarding using all brands of generators in that power range and although a few people report that they have good success powering their AC with that size generator, the vast majority have not reported success with that selection.

rob in windsor
05-26-2012, 03:35 PM
I bought a 2000 watt generator last summer for dry camping and on the first trip out, I found that it wouldn't do what I needed. Actually, it wouldn't even come close. So, I am happy to say that I am now the proud owner of a Honda EU3000IS. I brought this baby home, hooked it up and I ran everything. I started with all lights, fans, TV, stereo, microwave,and AC. The thing never changed revs. So I broke out the toaster and let her have it. She groaned a little and kept on going. I ran it for 30 minutes and she kept purring like nobody's business.
Do your research and take the advice of the members on this forum. I'm glad I did,,,eventually!!

Loui
05-26-2012, 03:58 PM
The first generator I bought was a off brand 2000 watt inverter generator which could not run the 13,500 btu AC :(

The next year I bought a Honda EU3000is did the job with out any issues and really quiet.
The EU3000is was a little bulky to move around but with a wheel kit it was fine.

2- Honda EU2000is (a 2000is and it's companion 2000is) will be easier to handle.
I see you are from Canada.....check your local supplier when I looked into this set-up it was not available in Canada ...CSA grounding issue...you may have to travel south of the border to get this setup.

Both the Yamaha and the Honda inverter generators are very quiet and camp ground friendly.

Now this year we have a diffierent trailer which has is own 5500 watt Onan :D

LarryL
05-26-2012, 04:04 PM
I also have the Honda EU3000is heavy to pack around.
will keep it for home,but I'm buying two of the Honda
EU2000is companions to take in the rv.

richf28
05-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Has anybody tried a Honeywell 2000 inverter generator. Saw some good deals on them.

f6bits
05-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Dometic has a 3000W inverter generator (http://www.dometic.com/f8b312df-7fcd-4078-8862-b5e0141a9932.fodoc) that sells for about $750. It’s a rebranded Chinese generator, but it comes with a one-year warranty.

Scottinvt
05-27-2012, 05:11 AM
Interesting Dometic Generator !!

Jseverence
05-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Just remember when selecting a generator, that it has two ratings. One for surge when a device is first started like an air conditioner, this is a temporary operation condition. The second is the continuous rating, which is the output the generator that can be continiously produce with out damage to the generator. I have a Honda EU2000i, its nice and quite but not hefty enough to run an air conditioner continuously. I would recommend the EU3000IS, the Honda's are pricy but work great.

JRTJH
05-31-2012, 03:14 AM
Dometic has a 3000W inverter generator (http://www.dometic.com/f8b312df-7fcd-4078-8862-b5e0141a9932.fodoc) that sells for about $750. It’s a rebranded Chinese generator, but it comes with a one-year warranty.

That's a very "unique" generator Dometic is selling. In their installation manual for all the 13,500 BTU air conditioners, they state that minimum generator size is 3.5 KW (3,500 watts) yet they also state in their brochure of the 3000 Plus generator that it is a 2.8 KW 2800 watts (max output) and 2.6 KW 2600 watts (continuous output) generator that will "easily powers a 13,500 BTU A/C".

Hmmmm Does Dometic know something they're not telling the rest of us? Is this a "marketing gimmic" ? or Is this generator a "magic bullet" that somehow produces more watts than the rating? OR Is the actual power needed to run a 13,500 BTU A/C actually less than the 3.5 KW that Dometic lists in the installation manual?

Jay D
05-31-2012, 03:56 AM
I have a Honeywell 2000 inverter generator and it won't run my a/c. Bought it at camping world 3 years ago, pretty cheap. It works ok with lights and things like that. The unit has a fuel saving mode so it only runs on 1/2 power until needed then revs up. Like when you run the coffee pot, micro, and hair dryer. The only thing I found wrong with it is if it sits for a while and the fuel is not full to the top it's hard to start. I would love to get a bigger one some day, but for now this will do. Jay

JRTJH
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a Honeywell 2000 inverter generator and it won't run my a/c. Bought it at camping world 3 years ago, pretty cheap. It works ok with lights and things like that. The unit has a fuel saving mode so it only runs on 1/2 power until needed then revs up. Like when you run the coffee pot, micro, and hair dryer. The only thing I found wrong with it is if it sits for a while and the fuel is not full to the top it's hard to start. I would love to get a bigger one some day, but for now this will do. Jay

Jay

You mention hard starting if it sits for a while. Ethanol in gas is most likely the culprit there. In this area, they've finally started selling "recreational fuel" which is 90 octane ethanol free gas. In some states, but not Michigan, premium is ehtanol free, but here, the only fuel you can buy without ethanol is the recrational fuel.

I've found over the years, that Stabil, etc will help protect ethanol breakdown for a few months, but in my winter equipment, Stabil won't last long enough to get through the summer before the fuel starts to separate. Also, the summer toys won't make it through the winter with Stabil. I used the ethanol free fuel to fill my tanks last fall and all the summer toys started on the first or second pull. I'm expecting the winter toys to do the same come late fall...

If you can find the "right fuel" You might find your generator easier to start after sitting a few weeks or months....

John

Exsailor
06-01-2012, 01:17 PM
nobody mentions the affordable gennys? I have a Champion 3500 and while it is maybe 15db louder it pulls my 15k AC and the flatscreen at the same time. Only thing that makes it shake is the wife's hair dryer (thats roughing it). Best part is that I can get approximately 3 of these for the price of 1 of the Hondas.

Jay D
06-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks John, I will have to look into that.

JRTJH
06-01-2012, 05:53 PM
nobody mentions the affordable gennys? I have a Champion 3500 and while it is maybe 15db louder it pulls my 15k AC and the flatscreen at the same time. Only thing that makes it shake is the wife's hair dryer (thats roughing it). Best part is that I can get approximately 3 of these for the price of 1 of the Hondas.

I have the same generator as you. It works very well for our purposes. Bought mine at Tractor Supply. It was on sale for $299, I had a 20% off coupon, so with the 3 year (after the factory one year) warranty which cost $39.99, my total cost was a hair over $250. At that price, and where we camp (usually no closer than 4-500 yards from anyone else, the added noise isn't an issue. And, even if I just throw it away after 4 years (whether it's working or not) and buy another, I'd have a functional generator for 16 years for the same cost as one of the "favored brands"

I didn't suggest that Champion (or any other brand) should be considered as that often sparks the same comments as saying Ford is better than "***" or Dodge is better than "***".

jje1960
06-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Yes, many many options out there. What we ended up with is two units, both quiet inverters. We have the Boliy electric start, 74Ibs, runs the 15k aircon without problem. We also carry a small additional, Mitsubishi inverter, 1k. The reason for two units is to spread the use and backup. We do a yearly trip at Bristol on the dry, so having two units has made sense, don't need to worry about oil changes with spreading use time between the two. During the day, the 1k unit just sits there purring along, runs TV, radio, keeps the batteries charged anything really (short of the microwave or aircon) and the pool pump (yea, drag the 12' Walmart pool there) sometime in the evening we switch to the Boliy, that thing has run for over 14hrs on 1.9gal of fuel a number of times without the aircon. I do remember one exceptionally brutal couple of days when we ran the aircon for napping (and just getting out of the heat) in the afternoon. Lot's of little tricks help while on genset, foam inserts for the ceiling vents and reflecting foil for a couple of windows to keep the heat out. Anyway, the two generator / inverters we have cost us under $2000.00 and have served us very well. You can do it on the cheap with noise or spend mega bucks for inverters, huge range to choose from. One thing I've always been very attentive to is the oil changes and air-filter cleaning, I do believe this is extremely important to keeping units healthy. We love our creature comforts, proper maintenance ensures they are not gummed up with old fuel, dirty plugged filters or sludge lubrication systems! For anyone that cares, the models are Boliy 3600sie and Mitsubishi MGC 1101. As for fuel consumption, obviously dependent on aircon use, we usually figure about 25-30 gal of fuel use for a full 7day stint, and this is pretty much 24/7 power on. On the other side of the scale, we do Richmond from Thursday evening to Sunday morning departure with less than 6gal, 24/7 power on. Hope all this helps others.

Johnnyfry
06-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Well, after months of research,reading this site and a lot of angst, I finally decided on a Honda 2000i inverter generator. I purchased it yesterday and tested it out this morning with the aid of an electric heater. So far so good.

We are presently in Montana on our way to Alaska so it was time. I do not anticipate the need for AC over the next few months but we do plan to dry camp.

Time will probably come where I need to add a second unit in hot weather and I will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Should anyone be interested in following my blog and pictures, you are welcome to check out: www.Jfreitag.zenfolio.com/blog. A link will also lead to pictures.

John

jje1960
06-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Well, after months of research,reading this site and a lot of angst, I finally decided on a Honda 2000i inverter generator. I purchased it yesterday and tested it out this morning with the aid of an electric heater. So far so good.

We are presently in Montana on our way to Alaska so it was time. I do not anticipate the need for AC over the next few months but we do plan to dry camp.

Time will probably come where I need to add a second unit in hot weather and I will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Should anyone be interested in following my blog and pictures, you are welcome to check out: www.Jfreitag.zenfolio.com/blog. A link will also lead to pictures.

John
Keep that oil changed regularly John, I'm sure that Honda is going to serve you well. Also, I'm envious! Can't wait to follow your Alaska trip, it's on the bucket list that's for sure.