PDA

View Full Version : Decal maintenance

Gene48
05-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Hello to you all! First post here. We purchased a 2011 Copper Canyon 27FWRET. It was previously owned but didn't appear to have ever been used. Anyway, no problems but I do have a question about the numerous decals on the outside. How are they best maintained? I was thinking about Protect-All or that 303 protectorant. What do you feel is best? Thanks!!

f6bits
05-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Nice looking trailer. Is that monster building behind it where you store it? Keeping it in the shade would surely help. Most people swear by the 303. And don’t pressure-wash your trailer.

Gene48
05-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks. No, the building is on the dealer's lot where we bought the trailer. We were just taking delivery. I will try the 303 product and, no, no pressure washing! :)

rhagfo
05-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I wash ours after every use with a long handle soft bristle brush, with turtle wash wax, and as soon I can get a couple days of dry weather I will wax the whole rig.

chuck&gail
05-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Hate to say it, but I think all decals will curl and peel on Keystone products. Many of ours are about gone on our 2010 Outback. First TT we've owned with such poor decals. Oh well, TT looks better without them.

hankaye
05-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Howdy All;

We used to apply a thin (very thin), coat of silicone sealant along the edges of the decals on our F-14 Tomcat's when I was in the Navy. Stood-up to supersonic flight and plane captians with attitudes washin'em...

hankaye

SteveC7010
05-21-2012, 02:53 AM
Howdy All;

We used to apply a thin (very thin), coat of silicone sealant along the edges of the decals on our F-14 Tomcat's when I was in the Navy. Stood-up to supersonic flight and plane captians with attitudes washin'em...

hankaye

We used to use a similar technique with custom silk screen emblems on emergency vehicles. After applying the emblem and letting it dry, we'd brush on several coats of a high grade, non-yellowing marine spar varnish. That would protect the silk screen ink from damage and scratches. By overlapping the varnish about 1/8" over the edge of the emblem onto the paint of the vehicle, it protected the edges from drying out and curling.

At the time, we used 3M Scotchlite reflective material or sheets of vinyl very similar to the vinyl used for the decals on our Keystones. So a narrow stripe of varnish on the perimeter of the decals should also work very well.

One small problem that may be unavoidable: The larger the decal, the more likely it is to shrink over time due to heat/cool cycles and exposure to the sun. Given the large size of some of the graphics on Keystones, it may be an inevitability.

Jim & Kay
05-23-2012, 04:35 AM
303 -Is IMO a top of the line product, Works great on complete outside of RV (minus windows). Only product i use! "bouncey:

Gene48
05-26-2012, 08:46 AM
I will try the 303, then. I don't know if it is petroleum-based, though. I was worried it might start weakening the adhesive around the decal edges. Thanks for the info!!

Festus2
05-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Gene48 -
There is no indication on the 303 spray bottle of what the spray contains. It is safe for EPDM rubber roofs, however. I don't think they would recommend their product for use on EPDM rubber if it contained any petroleum distillates.
Try their the 303 website at www.303products.com

Jim & Kay
05-26-2012, 10:50 AM
The one gallon container of 303 states "unlike other protectant products, 303 does not contain silicone oils, waxes, glycerin or petroleum distillates. They, also, list a number of uses including RVs, stating it is for EPDM roofing, tires, all rubber seals & components, vinyl awnings & graphics. Restores color to fiberglass and prevents fading." As I said previously, only product I use.

BMcCutcheon
05-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Great Idea.... My Outback Logo on the front of my trailer curled up badly from the bottom edges to the top after the first year. It looked so bad that I removed it in 2009. I wanted to put another on it but at $100.00 for the decal I wanted to make sure I could do it without wasting the money. Thanks, I'm going to order and give this a try. :)

Gene48
06-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info. 303 on order!
Gene