PDA

View Full Version : Gas springs

Mopar madman
05-19-2012, 03:33 AM
I was wondering if the gas springs for the underbed storage area are supposed to hold the mattress up or just assist in lifting it? Thanks.

JRTJH
05-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Ours hold it up. In fact, it's sort of hard to get it started pulling it down. Mattress weight plays a big part in that, so if you've bought an aftermarket mattress, you may have too much weight for the gas struts to hold the mattress.

geo
05-19-2012, 04:36 AM
On ours, it basically helps in lifting. I have a board cut to length under the bed to put in place to help hold it up once opened.

Ron

SAD
05-19-2012, 04:47 AM
We don't have under-bed storage :(

When we first got the RV, I thought "Man, these struts suck!!!" because it didn't lift very easily.... Well it wasn't supposed to lift at all.. The slide running gear takes up about 75% of the space.

Only about 2 of the 4 screws in the decking were actually lined up and attached to the bed-frame (yay keystone!!), so it came right up with a cracking noise.

I properly aligned it, drilled pilot holes (take not RV manufacturers!), and screwed the decking back in place with 6 wood screws.

f6bits
05-19-2012, 04:55 AM
I added a single strut to mine, right in the middle. It’ll hold the mattress up, but it took some adjusting to get it so that end of the bed would *stay* down.

In other words, it’s possible you can move the mounting point of your struts to get it to behave how you’d like.

Roberson4
05-19-2012, 06:08 AM
We don't have under-bed storage :(

When we first got the RV, I thought "Man, these struts suck!!!" because it didn't lift very easily.... Well it wasn't supposed to lift at all.. The slide running gear takes up about 75% of the space.

Only about 2 of the 4 screws in the decking were actually lined up and attached to the bed-frame (yay keystone!!), so it came right up with a cracking noise.

I properly aligned it, drilled pilot holes (take not RV manufacturers!), and screwed the decking back in place with 6 wood screws.

Ours didn't have under-bed storage either. And, it appears maybe the same person put in the screws. They only missed 1 though.

I took the 4 screws out of ours, installed hinges, and made 'boxes' that fit beside the slide running gear. The wife had to have some place to hid 'new toys/games/books in case it rains all day one day'.:eek:

I did not buy/install gas springs. Just use a piece of water pipe cut to hold up the plywood/bed.

lasmc
04-17-2014, 04:31 PM
I added a single strut to mine, right in the middle. It’ll hold the mattress up, but it took some adjusting to get it so that end of the bed would *stay* down.

In other words, it’s possible you can move the mounting point of your struts to get it to behave how you’d like.
I know it has been a while since this post... New to the forum and just bought a keystone passport 2650bh. It has a 1/2lift queen bed and I wanted to know how best to decide on the pressure strength for struts.