PDA

View Full Version : Outlets on battery power

rexermoto
05-15-2012, 07:26 PM
We just acquired a 2004 Zeppelin. I am new to the camper family, my AC outlets work when connected to shore power but are dead when running off the batteries. Is this normal or is my inverter bad. Thanks.

Johnnyfry
05-15-2012, 08:19 PM
This is normal. RVs do not normally come equipped with an inverter. Using an inverter will drain the coach battery REALLY quickly, if you purchase one, use with caution.

John

Maxzd
05-15-2012, 09:25 PM
We just acquired a 2004 Zeppelin. I am new to the camper family, my AC outlets work when connected to shore power but are dead when running off the batteries. Is this normal or is my inverter bad. Thanks.

As you indicate you are new to camping, and based on what you wrote above it sounds like it's a question of familiarizing yourself with how an RV electrical system works. I believe you mean a "converter" not an "inverter, below I explain the differences.

You indicate your AC outlets work when connected to shore power. When connected to shore power, you have 110v power through your "converter", to the fuse panel which powers all of your electrical. While connected to shore power, your converter also charges your 12 volt DC battery system. The primary function of a converter is to charge your 12 volt trailer battery.

Once you disconnect from shore power, only items wired for for DC 12 volt power will function. Lights, Water Pump, Furnace, runaway brakes, Smoke & Co2 detectors. Some RV's have a 12 Volt plug (cigarette plug style) for electrical items that have a 12 volt plug connection. Without some ability to recharge your 12 volt battery, your power will quickly be depleted especially if you are using the above functions.

In order to run your AC outlets without being connected to shore power, it requires an inverter as part of the installation. An Inverter takes 12 volt DC power and converts it to 110v AC current.

Depending on your needs, most campers do not invest in an inverter installation. Beyond the inverter itself, it does require additional batteries, usually a transfer switch, and electrical wiring and know-how. Those people that do alot of dry camping (camping where there is no shore power) this is an option. So is a generator, although a generator can't always be run 24/7.

I hope that gives you a bit further explaination.. Looked up a 2004 zepplin on google, nice looking trailer, congratulations have fun.

Mighty Ming
05-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey Maxzd...nice explanation. Gotta love this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexermoto
05-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks for all the help and explainations. I am sure by the end of the summer I will have a good strong hold on what works and what doesn't.