PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Figure This Out

dndweeks
05-15-2012, 08:05 AM
I am new to this forum. For a matter-of-fact I'm so new to RVing that I don't even have an RV yet:( What I know for sure is that we don't want a Class A or Class C motor home. We would rather pull something knowing we can use the tow vehicle for things other than camping and Keystones have been my favorites of the ones I've seen. Getting started is going to be quite expensive as we will need to purchase a tow vehicle in addition to the RV and this is where my questions begin.

We have two little girls still in car seats. We also have two medium size dogs that we would be taking with us on camping trips. Although we would start out by camping within a 3-4 hour drive of our home, our ultimate goal would be traveling to different places across the U.S. during the year. My concern is comfort in traveling with two adults, two small children and two dogs. Until I started doing some serious research, I thought we would purchase a full-size van or large SUV that I would use as my everyday vehicle and could be used to pull a travel trailer. However, I feel that this is going to significantly limit our choices of travel trailer and we would certainly need a truck if we decided to buy a larger travel trailer or 5th wheel.

Having never owned a truck larger than a small Nissan truck several years ago, I would love to hear other's thoughts and experiences regarding truck vs van/SUV for comfort in transporting family and RV.

(tx)

Englishman
05-15-2012, 08:15 AM
The best advise that i can give you is to find the TT or 5er that you want for your family then match up the the TV. This will make your life a lot easier. Good luck Hunting :wlcm:

msp2jxr
05-15-2012, 09:02 AM
If you are going to travel long distances I would recommend the 5th wheel. Iin my opinion it is the easiest to drive and unhook and hook. I have had both and have no plans on going back to a TT. I am so much more relaxed with the 5th wheel. If you have concerns for room sit in a four door truck.. My Ford has great leg room and the Dodge Mega cab is unbelieveable for room.

hankpage
05-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Just something to think about ------ A long wheel-base van makes a very good TV, of course you are limited to a TT. As your family grows the van can be configured to any passenger and cargo combination. A crew-cab truck with a cap might also fit your present needs and allow for a future change to a 5r. JM2¢, Hank :wave: Welcome

Philip Saran
05-15-2012, 09:39 AM
First off, you have already been given good advice.

Just be sure to purchase a tow vehicle that can handle the weight of what ever 5th wheel or TT you decide works best for your family.

Wife and I just recently purchased a 2011 Springdale 266SS with a gross
weight of about 7700 lbs which gives me a very large safety margin since
my diesel truck can tow 12000 lbs. I already had the truck.

Festus2
05-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Debbie -
If I were starting out and given your circumstances with 2 small "car seat" children and two good-sized dogs, I would opt for a TT. Even though we have and prefer a 5th wheel, our situation is different than yours.
A trailer will give you more options for choosing a tow vehicle. You want a TV that will be able to take 6 "passengers". If the dogs were able to travel in a capped pick up, that would make it, for me, a fairly simple choice ----- a pick up truck. As Hank pointed out, having a PU truck also gives you some flexibility as to what kind of RV you can purchase.
If the dogs cannot travel in a capped truck, that pretty much limits you to a van or SUV of some sort. Not sure how you could possibly travel in a PU truck with 4 passengers - 2 kids and 2 large dogs - in the back seat. Around the block maybe but anything farther ??????
In any case, have a good look at a TT first and if one of those suits your needs, then start your search for a TV. As has been pointed out, do some homework and research on your own first about tow vehicles. There are a ton of sites about towing an RV --- just Google it. We always like it when people take the initiative to find out as much as they can on their own as well as asking for help here. At first, it seems overwhelming but it does become easier and less intimidating.

KanTC
05-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi Debbie (& family), and welcome! :wave:

You're getting excellent advice/suggestions. One other point that I will add, which no one has mentioned --
a travel trailer will typically cost several thousand $$ less than an equally equipped 5th wheel.

Enjoy your search & happy shopping!

Terri -- Illinois native, New Mexico transplant, and the Chevy co-pilot :)

Diesel Dude
05-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Take a look at a ford excursion. It's a little smaller than a crew cab truck and more stable tow vehicle compared to a van. Great for a family. I have one a really like it.

fla-gypsy
05-16-2012, 03:14 AM
You are getting some great advice that will help you make an informed decision. I will add that just starting out and with small children the TT route is a good option. I will not debate the TT vs 5th wheel options here but I have always been a TT guy and it can be done safely and at a reasonable cost. I also think a full size van is a great towing option but you will need to be careful to get one with sufficient towing capacity. If you go the van route you may be looking at a 3/4 or 1 ton van vs the 1/2 ton versions. You never want to get a tow vehicle that can just get by. Camping should be enjoyable not a white knuckle experience. This is one of the reasons you see so many 3/4 and 1 ton crew cab pick ups towing. Some of those folks learned that lesson the hard and costly way.

DTJ9610
05-16-2012, 05:14 AM
I must agree. research your TT first. You don't want to fall in love with one that the TV you purchased can't tow. Then you will have to settle for something less. Besides, it's usually easier to upgrade the TT if you decide to go bigger than it is the TV (assuming the TV has the room to pull the upgrade).

Good luck and have fun. As great as it will be to get out and finally camp, it will be even more satisfying knowing that you made the right decision and are happy and comfortable with it.

chris199
05-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Lesson recently learned:
1. Find TT first. I have bought two trucks in less than a year since we started ssmall and wanted to upgrade. Almost had to trade again for a 3/4 ton truck but fell in love with a TT my current truck can tow.

2. Do not take weights from dealers and brochures as gospel. You have to add 30% - 40% to tongue wgt and rally estimate additional wgt in TT for "stuff"...probably 500 lbs more easily with 4 people and 2 dogs stuff.

3. Plan on a very good weight distribution hitch for a TT. DO NOT SKIMP HERE!

4. Have fun!

5. Make some memories!

Philip Saran
05-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Here is "one" more thing to add to your list of info:

If you plan on camping at National Parks, since most were built way
back in time (30's-40's) they do not accomadate long trailers in the
camp spaces. And it is not just the size of the camp space it is also
the roads leading into the campground. Many NP restrict you to under
30 ft in RV length.

My 2011 Springdale is 28'-11" tip to tip (26-6 body) but add my 25 ft
of truck doing the towing and now I am at 54 ft in length, not always
easy to make tight turns.

fla-gypsy
05-16-2012, 12:07 PM

30 ft in RV length.

This seems to be a bigger problem in some regions vs others but is a consideration to keep in mind. The OP did not state a location.

flc
05-16-2012, 01:20 PM

30 ft in RV length.

This is exactly the reason I have downsized from a 34' to a 28'10" trailer and a 26' truck to my 20' truck. National Parks, Corps of Engr sites, National Forest sites and boondocking locations are my preferred places to camp. I only stay in commercial RV Parks when I am forced to do so. YMMV

LittleJoe
05-16-2012, 06:23 PM
A TT gives up a fair bit of in trailer storage compared to a 5th wheel but as stated is lighter and requires much less movement of tow vehicle to park it in tight quarters. A full size SUV with a hensley hitch will give you white knuckless towing in all conditions. There are many pros and cons to both types of trailers, and I have had many TT over the years, NONE of which were ever any more of a handfull than a 5th wheel. Just do not skimp on the setup of the towing system for the TT and enjoy.

rhagfo
05-16-2012, 10:23 PM
A TT gives up a fair bit of in trailer storage compared to a 5th wheel but as stated is lighter and requires much less movement of tow vehicle to park it in tight quarters. A full size SUV with a hensley hitch will give you white knuckless towing in all conditions. There are many pros and cons to both types of trailers, and I have had many TT over the years, NONE of which were ever any more of a handfull than a 5th wheel. Just do not skimp on the setup of the towing system for the TT and enjoy.

I think interior storage is about the same in both, but most 5er have some sort of "basement" no mater how short. I don't have big issues backing my 5er, just need to learn to not get ahead of it.
Towing a travel Trailer should seldom be a white knuckle affair, if it is there is something is wrong with your setup.
Your setup should be balanced enough to tow on snow covered roads with out fear, concern yes, but not fear.