PDA

View Full Version : dinette table top

Lluker
05-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Has anyone else found a problem with the table top curling/warping in their Keystone Travel trailer?

2011 keystone
05-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Sounds like a moisture problem.

Lluker
05-14-2012, 12:27 PM
One would think if it were a moisture prob. it would show up elsewhere in the trailer.... mould or mildew in soft fabrics.... didn't? It is particle board too so what the hey?

JRTJH
05-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Lluker,

I'm not sure what RV you have, but there has been a documented problem with the "hi-lo" moveable table in the Springdale line. The same table is used in other lines as well so I'd suppose, if you have one of these tables, you've got the same problem as a number of us. Essentially, the tabletop bows in the middle and isn't flat. It's not a "warping" or "moisture swelling" kind of problem, just that the table top bends in the middle.

There is a thread on this forum about the situation and some of the resolutions. If you're still in warranty, the dealer should replace it for you. If you're out of warranty, some people have used 3/4" plywood, others have bolted brackets under the center of the table to push it back straight.

If this is your problem, just search for warped table and you should find the threads.

Lluker
05-14-2012, 04:54 PM
So this is a repeating problem, in or out of warranty.... so why didn't Keystone fix the problem or at least offer to replace the table tops at a reduced price for those of us out of warranty, just good P.R. move. When I called them I was told this problem was news to them???? I did say the dealer I purchased from knew of the problems and because our '08 was out of warranty I would have to deal with the company so that is why I called. Can't seem to win here???!!!

Lluker
05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
we have a 2008 Passport 285RLS...

Lluker
05-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Were you able to get some response from the company re this table problem? If people are not reporting it that's one thing but if it has been reported, what was done is what is important. When the company says this is not a problem they know about, not specifically related to the Passport, but generally, what the heck is going on?

Lluker,

I'm not sure what RV you have, but there has been a documented problem with the "hi-lo" moveable table in the Springdale line. The same table is used in other lines as well so I'd suppose, if you have one of these tables, you've got the same problem as a number of us. Essentially, the tabletop bows in the middle and isn't flat. It's not a "warping" or "moisture swelling" kind of problem, just that the table top bends in the middle.

There is a thread on this forum about the situation and some of the resolutions. If you're still in warranty, the dealer should replace it for you. If you're out of warranty, some people have used 3/4" plywood, others have bolted brackets under the center of the table to push it back straight.

If this is your problem, just search for warped table and you should find the threads.

Festus2
05-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately, your warranty expired 3 years ago and predictably, Keystone is telling you that "it is no longer our problem". I am not sure if there is any way of finding out just how many customers have reported the problem with warped tables to them or what their response has been. If it was preported within the warranty period, one would expect that both the dealer and Keystone would take care of it.
FYI, some members have had a positive response from Keystone regarding peeling decals - also a fairly common problem. Quite a few of these have been out-of-warranty which indicates that just because the warranty has expired, Keystone doesn't always deny claims. I realize your problem is different but, if approached in the right manner, it is possible that Keystone might do something for you.
Hopefully, you will be able to work out something with them but if not, check the posts or ask for suggestions on a DIY.

Philip Saran
05-16-2012, 09:41 AM
I hope you find a solution with Keystone, but if not try contacting a
company that makes countertops and see if they will make you a new
table. I did it with a previous TT (much older) and it turned out very
nice.

JRTJH
05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
I haven't done anything with my tabletop. It bows slightly in the middle, but when you think about having a 3/4" piece of "glue and sawdust" (MDF) being used as a part of the bed base, especially the part that is supposed to support exactly where you sit to get in bed, I'm just waiting for ours to crack, then I'll replace it with a piece of hardwood plywood. Better looking table (in my opinion) and certainly stronger for its "bed frame duty"...

hankpage
05-16-2012, 12:47 PM
If you flip the top over when the trailer is in storage it will straighten itself out. .......... I guess some weight on the middle might speed up the process. It worked for me than I moved the legs closer together and it doesn't bend anymore. Hank ............. (I don't use it as a bed :eek: that would bend any table)

JRTJH
05-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Hank, the table we're talking about is a hi-lo table with a bunch of steel "garbage" under it. The hinges and the mechanism can't be moved closer together, I even tried to reinforce it with a piece of angle iron down the middle. That just banged knees when trying to sit down.

Turning it upside down would help, thanks for that hint, but I'm still in awe that one of my "larger than life" relatives hasn't sat down on the floor (right through the tabtop) while getting into bed. I cringe every time someone sits on the middle of the table expecting it to buckle and crack, but so far, it's held up.... I won't say "held up well" just "held up" :)

hankpage
05-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Hank, the table we're talking about is a hi-lo table with a bunch of steel "garbage" under it. The hinges and the mechanism can't be moved closer together, I even tried to reinforce it with a piece of angle iron down the middle. That just banged knees when trying to sit down.

Turning it upside down would help, thanks for that hint, but I'm still in awe that one of my "larger than life" relatives hasn't sat down on the floor (right through the tabtop) while getting into bed. I cringe every time someone sits on the middle of the table expecting it to buckle and crack, but so far, it's held up.... I won't say "held up well" just "held up" :)

Maybe I'm lucky to have the old booth dinette table stuck on two posts. Even though I got rid of the booth.

Lluker
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Ok, now I am already on my floor over this description... thank you for the laugh... I got a call from Keystone customer service rep yesterday following up my purchase of our trailer, asking for my opinion of the dealer's service and was I satisfied with my trailer and lots of other questions re services.... Well now, I told this person of my concerns re the table top and was then asked if wished to speak to a management person and I said yes please. She would pass this on in her report and I should be contacted by someone from Keystone management..... we shall see.

JRTJH
05-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Ok, now I am already on my floor over this description... thank you for the laugh... I got a call from Keystone customer service rep yesterday following up my purchase of our trailer, asking for my opinion of the dealer's service and was I satisfied with my trailer and lots of other questions re services.... Well now, I told this person of my concerns re the table top and was then asked if wished to speak to a management person and I said yes please. She would pass this on in her report and I should be contacted by someone from Keystone management..... we shall see.

Lluker,

We bought out 2011 trailer in October 2010. I contacted Keystone customer service, Robyne couldn't answer my questions (construction issues) and asked if I would like to speak to managment. I answered yes, and was told that she would elevate my concern and someone would contact me. Well, it was almost a year later before I got the call. In fact it was so suprising that I posted on here that it occurred... So, I'd urge you to not hold your breath waiting for that call, it may be a year or more before you recieve it.... :)

karl
06-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi I have a 2010 passport ultra lite 25bh.
My table has the same issue.

golfpro
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
when I worked at the Keystone dealers, we had several table tops come in bad from the factory. had large cracks in them. had to replace them of course. So will say yes to your question.

Lluker
06-29-2012, 10:48 AM
So Karl, did you use that table as a drop down bed? And did you report this issue to your dealer?
I can not believe Keystone's rep on the phone claims they aren't aware of this issue....ARGH!!!

Desert Beacon
06-29-2012, 05:13 PM
I bought a new 2012 Bullet from Camping World in January. The dinette table has warped considerably, though slowly, during the past couple of months while the trailer has been resting in a shaded parking space on our property. My dealer is 250 miles away (none closer). I hope that I'll just get a quick and hassle free replacement. Am I overly optimistic?

Lluker
07-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Desert Beacon I hope you receive prompt service and the dealer gets the go ahead from the company to "REPLACE" your table but..... I also hope the replacement is not made of the same material... please let us know what the response at your dealer is.

venzzzz
07-10-2012, 03:22 PM
my '11 Sprinter 276RLS table top has been slept on by a 110lb kid a total of 4 nites, and it's warped. Hope to get it replaced when I take it in to get the water pump that won't shut off replaced!

venzzzz
07-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Follow-up to my last post. On our 2nd day of dry camping, and having to shut off the generator off at 8pm (in the summertime? wth??), we noticed our battery was almost dead 2 hours later. We heard a low humming sound, and traced it to the water pump. It had been running since god-knows-when. Anyway, the only way to make it stop was to shut off the switch. It worked fine the first day, pumping only on demand. So I called the dealer where I purchased it a month ago, and was told by the service person she would "check with a tech and call me right back." Three hours later, and no call, I called them back, only to get voicemail saying their hours are till 4:30 PM. This was at 3:30 PM! I left a message reminding them of my situation. No call back the next day either. Finally after returning home from the trip, I called the dealer, got the service manager, who apologized for the lack of communication. Fair enough. I explained the problem of the water pump, and he set us up for a warranty appt. He said it would take a week to get a new pump, if that's the problem. I also explained the warped dinette table top to him. He said that would take 4-6 weeks to get, and some companies demand photos(?) before they send a new one. We will see what happens. Anyone with similar water pump problems? Couldn't really find any similar on this site.

JRTJH
07-13-2012, 04:20 AM
The water pump will not be able to build pressure if there is air in the lines. Sometimes turning on each faucet and flushing the toilet will be enough to clear the air and allow the pump to build pressure.

Sometimes the pump will not draw water from the fresh water tank. If this happens, then obviously no water will flow into the lines to build pressure.

If it were me, I'd make sure there is fresh water in the tank, turn on the pump, If you don't have water flow, then it's not drawing from the tank.

If you do have water flow, then start at the closest faucet and turn on the cold water, wait until it flows without sputtering, then turn on the hot water and wait until it flows without sputtering, then move to the next and do the same thing, don't forget to flush the toilet as well.

Once all the faucets have been purged, listen to see if the pump shuts off. If it does, then turn on any faucet and it should start pumping again, once the faucet is turned off, it should run a couple of seconds then shut off. If it doesn't, but you are getting water flow, then probably you have a bad pressure switch on the pump.

Don't forget that if you have a plumbing leak, the pump will pump water out of that leak until the tank is empty, then continue to pump until it either overheats and quits pumping or until the battery is discharged. You may not see the water leak if it is contained in the underbelly by the coroplast. On some RV's, the coroplast can contain an amazing volume of water before it finally starts leaking, so if the pump keeps running just peek underneath and see if the coroplast is sagging or feels "full"

If purging the lines resolves your problem, great, if not, then head to the dealer for service.

venzzzz
07-13-2012, 09:16 PM
JRTJH....I followed your instructions, step-by-step...and it seems to have solved the problem! There was lots of sputtering air in the line. It all worked right the first day of our trip, so I don't understand that. I understand the "on demand" operation of the pump, and we had water pressure even when it was stuck on. The Flojet manual that came with trailer stated the following reasons would keep the pump from shutting off: low battery (I had generator), no, or low fresh water (I was full) or a bad pressure switch on the pump. Anyway, I guess I will cancel the warranty appointment at the dealer,about 100 miles from home , and contact them later regarding the warped dinette table. I have a year, right?
Thank you JRTJH!!

venzzzz
07-14-2012, 06:21 AM
I spoke too soon. I went back out this morning to check it again, and it's back to the problem again. Pump stays on after water is used. I'm off to my appointment at the dealer.

rudythegreat
07-14-2012, 06:43 AM
My Brand New 318SAB was shown to me on the sales lot with a Curly Top. So Keystone replaced right then. I was told that the mfg. used green wood.

Lluker
07-14-2012, 02:51 PM
great that Keystone replaced it..... my table top is not ply wood but particle board so no green wood there.

venzzzz
07-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Got it back from the dealer. They said they dropped the underbelly and found the water line was sucking air. They trimmed the line and replaced the clamps, now all is well.. The table top is on order from the factory. Service manager said it will "be a while" before it's here. We'll see how long.

Desert Beacon
08-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I bought a new 2012 Bullet from Camping World in January. The dinette table has warped considerably, though slowly, during the past couple of months while the trailer has been resting in a shaded parking space on our property. My dealer is 250 miles away (none closer). I hope that I'll just get a quick and hassle free replacement. Am I overly optimistic?

I sent a letter in late June with photos of warped table to CW-Albuquerque, where I bought the Bullet in January. NO RESPONSE to date. Should I communicate directly with Keystone or try again with dealer?

JRTJH
08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I sent a letter in late June with photos of warped table to CW-Albuquerque, where I bought the Bullet in January. NO RESPONSE to date. Should I communicate directly with Keystone or try again with dealer?

If you haven't heard anything from Camping World by now, it's been 8 weeks give or take.... You've been put on "disregard" Yell at them again and this time give them a date by which you'll elevate the problem and if you haven't heard from them by that date, get in touch with the CW general manager. If that doesn't work, send a letter to Markus Lemonis, CEO of CW.

Desert Beacon
08-21-2012, 05:10 PM
If you haven't heard anything from Camping World by now, it's been 8 weeks give or take.... You've been put on "disregard" Yell at them again and this time give them a date by which you'll elevate the problem and if you haven't heard from them by that date, get in touch with the CW general manager. If that doesn't work, send a letter to Markus Lemonis, CEO of CW.

Thanks. I will be following your advice.

Desert Beacon
08-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks. I will be following your advice.

I made contact with the right person at Camping World-Albuquerque, re-sent photos of warped table and have been assured that a replacement table will be ordered promptly from Keystone and covered under warranty.

Desert Beacon
10-09-2012, 05:34 PM

I made contact with the right person at Camping World-Albuquerque, re-sent photos of warped table and have been assured that a replacement table will be ordered promptly from Keystone and covered under warranty.

UPDATE: After multiple communications with Camping World (Albuquerque), I was told that the replacement table had arrived (after only 4 months), and I was scheduled to pick it up Monday, Oct. 8. The Service Department took the hardware off my original table and installed it on the new table. I carried it out to my pickup, laid in on the tailgate and was stunned to see that the "new" table was equally warped. I asked the Warranty Service Manager to come out for a look. She too seemed surprised, no apology, but promised to order another table and said she'd check it out next time before calling me to pick it up. :banghead:

happytrails
10-10-2012, 02:29 AM
I got a call from Keystone customer service rep yesterday following up my purchase of our trailer, asking for my opinion of the dealer's service and was I satisfied with my trailer and lots of other questions re services....

I must have been away when they tried to call me...:D Seriously though, they actually called you to follow up? All I got from my dealer was a form about the dealer and the camper that went straight back to the dealer!:banghead: They pretty much knew how I felt a few months later when they had to come to my house to fix my camper after they had it for 3 weeks (and I offered "as long as they want") to fix it. Got it home and most was not fixed. I live 100 miles from them.

I hope the OPs table issues get resolved. Even though it's been a long time, at least maybe they are trying so maybe some small kudos to Keystone for that.

Bugsmema
02-15-2013, 01:13 PM
We have a 2011 Outback and our dining table has warped. The little counter over our pop up TV was warped when we got it, but was covered by warranty. Then our trailer was in storage for almost 3 yrs and even after having drizair placed all over the trailer and a heater in it in the winter time, it still warped. Of course that's not under warranty anymore. I did get some good replys about it in this forum. I also checked with a laminate store in my area. He advised me to take the table out( it's one of those collapsible sleeping/dining thing) put it in a dry warm room, turn it over, put some heavy stuff on it to weight it down. This may take the warp out. Then get some good varathane and seal the bare particle board or whatever they used. I'm going to give this a try. Another camper also suggested to put some Formica on the underside. This would help to.
Good luck!!

ktmracer
02-15-2013, 07:17 PM
We have a 2011 Outback and our dining table has warped. The little counter over our pop up TV was warped when we got it, but was covered by warranty. Then our trailer was in storage for almost 3 yrs and even after having drizair placed all over the trailer and a heater in it in the winter time, it still warped. Of course that's not under warranty anymore. I did get some good replys about it in this forum. I also checked with a laminate store in my area. He advised me to take the table out( it's one of those collapsible sleeping/dining thing) put it in a dry warm room, turn it over, put some heavy stuff on it to weight it down. This may take the warp out. Then get some good varathane and seal the bare particle board or whatever they used. I'm going to give this a try. Another camper also suggested to put some Formica on the underside. This would help to.
Good luck!!

If you take a look at quality tables, endtables and other furniture with formica tops, you will find the the underside is also covered with formica, usually thin stuff often looking like it had gone through a sander. Sold as a backing for formica. Formica is pretty waterproof, so as moisture is absorbed by the open side, it causes stress in the material and causes it to warp.

I use formica as a top for many wooodworking jigs and ALWAYS put formica on the bottom as well. learned the hard way how stuff with formica on only one surface warps. BTW, the same thing can happen with venier as well, I use inexpensive venier on the bottom of veniered pieces to equalize stress as well.

Bugsmema
02-15-2013, 08:38 PM
You don't think a heavy coat of varathane on the reverse side will work then? I know putting formica on isn't the easiest thing.

ktmracer
02-15-2013, 09:12 PM
You don't think a heavy coat of varathane on the reverse side will work then? I know putting formica on isn't the easiest thing.

I'm sure it will help. Anything to reduce the level of moisture absorption and seal the back side will help and varathane will do that.

Bugsmema
02-21-2013, 02:26 PM
OK... have taken the table top off, brought it in the house and have it turned upside down on a big table in a craft room. We have it elevated on the four sides with blocks, and a 50# box of lead sitting on the middle, trying to get the middle to drop down. I'm wondering if misting, (not saturating) the back with the weight on it would help it drop down faster? I know it looks perfectly dry, but might not be deep in the particle board. Patience isn't one of my virtues. Wanting to take the trailer out in 3 weeks. Any ideas? :confused:
Thanks!!

ktmracer
02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
OK... have taken the table top off, brought it in the house and have it turned upside down on a big table in a craft room. We have it elevated on the four sides with blocks, and a 50# box of lead sitting on the middle, trying to get the middle to drop down. I'm wondering if misting, (not saturating) the back with the weight on it would help it drop down faster? I know it looks perfectly dry, but might not be deep in the particle board. Patience isn't one of my virtues. Wanting to take the trailer out in 3 weeks. Any ideas? :confused:
Thanks!!

I think you want to keep it dry. It has warped because the bottom has more moisture than the top, not the other way around. The formica keeps water from absorbing into the top, and the bottom is open to the air.

Bugsmema
04-24-2013, 05:36 PM
We finally got our warped table top fixed. After 2 months of the top sitting upside down on a coffee table with 60 lbs of lead weights on it, and it not moving, we decided to get a new top made. Went to a cabinet maker, used our old as a pattern, cut plywood out, put new Formica on it, used old trim around the edge, put 4 pieces of wood underside to keep from warping again and also sealed the underside. Tables better than it was before. Hubby turned base 90 degrees when he put the base back on. Better for the knees when sliding to sit at the table. Also put a bungee cord that goes from the hole in the wood under the middle cushion to the front leg of the table to keep it from "walking" during transporting.