PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Hook Up in Alpine

matstam13
05-14-2012, 07:57 AM
i have a 2012 alpine 3450RL i am having trouble with hooking up the satellite TV. I Hooked up satellite finder but no signal is coming through to power it up. I tried it both ways one running it through the satellite prep and the other running coax directly to the direct tv box still no luck. any suggestions as to what may be going wrong?

Outbackmel
05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
I have DISH at my RV when in the mountain home base. Generally, I use available cable when traveling; easier for me rather than dragging a DISH.

I would bet all companies have a tech support. (DISH does). (free). Call and keep going through the system until you get an advanced tech on the line. I recently went through 3 frustrating hours and finally it was determined my receiver was bad. They replaced it and I was off and running 30 minutes after installing it. depending on your direction; if a sat is off by even an inch, you may not get any signal. Also, as learned from experience, when rotating DISH to locate a sat; it takes up to 10 seconds every move to receive (or not) a signal.

Also, call your provider and give them your zip code and get the correct sat number AND correct transponder number or you will receive nothing. All of this data is easily changed on your set up screen which they will walk you through.

geo
05-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Matstam13 -

If you have looked through the Forum, you have probably concluded that there is little wiring consistency between models and not that much within a model series. So, I have a 3640RL with an Entertainment Center. The satellite coax is located on the wall inside the Entertainment Center. There are two coax connections - one from the satellite hook-up in the WaterWorks area and a second to send output signal back to the bedroom. Use a terminator or shorter piece of coax and a multi-meter to determine which is which.

Ron

matstam13
05-15-2012, 09:49 AM
outbackmel - i tried direct tv doesnt have that kind of assistance, i was finally able to get the finder to light up, i am currently picking up a weak signal i just need to do a little fine tuning.
GEO - that is some great info, i was wondering how i would get satellite in the bedroom due to there was only one coax hook up besides the one for the antenna. i take it i just use a splitter at the point where it comes out of the wall then route it to the other coax hook up?
thanks for the help

geo
05-15-2012, 02:41 PM
outbackmel - i tried direct tv doesnt have that kind of assistance, i was finally able to get the finder to light up, i am currently picking up a weak signal i just need to do a little fine tuning.
GEO - that is some great info, i was wondering how i would get satellite in the bedroom due to there was only one coax hook up besides the one for the antenna. i take it i just use a splitter at the point where it comes out of the wall then route it to the other coax hook up?
thanks for the help

Matstam13 -

Yes, that's the way it appears to work. As you might draw the conclusion if you read some of my posts, I've modified it a bit, so mine works a little different. You might also want to know, there's a splitter right behind the WaterWorks area that I believe splits the return from the entertainment center to both the bedroom and the basement hook-up.

Ron

matstam13
05-16-2012, 11:20 AM
yeah i saw that but just figured it was for regular cable and wouldnt work for the satellite. thanks for the info i will try it

matstam13
05-20-2012, 03:46 AM
I pulled the wall panel down and they ran the cables up through the ceiling into the bedroom to where i would have to completely dismantle the inside of the bedroom to get to the splitter. so i guess i will have to reroute a cable to make the satellite work in the bedroom.