PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs wdh recommends

desertjack
05-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Hi all
Newbie here. Just bought a new 26rls Hideout so I probably need to upgrade my wdh system from the one I had with the lighter TT I traded in. I 've read good things about the Reese dual cams and Equalizer 4 pt systems. They're kind of hi cost so are they worth the price for my TT at 6200 dry and 7700 gross. My TV is about 4800 dry andn can tow up to 9500 lbs. I've had good results in towing the lighter TT with a Draw Tight wdh with friction bar. The new TT lacks a ball for the friction bar on the A frame so I need to add that IF I stay with a friction bar system. So I would appreciate any / all comments on the Equalizer / Reese systems vs the chain / friction bar type systems as they cost quite a bit less. Thanks again for comments / suggestions.
Desert Jack

Jorme
05-11-2012, 08:33 AM
I have always been a fan of Eaz-lift. Between my grandfather, father, and myself have been using that system for 40 years....My hitch, sway control, and bars in still in excellent condition and work flawlessly.

dave-g
05-12-2012, 02:37 AM
to bad your on the other side of the country- I have a reese dual cam that I used for 2 years towing a 21' hybrid with a min van.

The dual cam set up worked great. Would hold the trailer very straight. Never a wiggle.

It also make the van ride much nicer. It would loose the tail heavy feeling.

I like the cam over friction, it will not wear out, always feels the same.

SteveC7010
05-12-2012, 02:49 AM
I am not a fan of friction sway control for trailers over 5,500# GVWR. They are too dependent on the user setting them properly. Most of the time they are either too tight or too loose.

The Reese Dual Cam and the Equalizer are both good choices. I am partial to the Reese partly because it is well supported across the US and Canada. Other brands seem to be regional to some extent. That does not count the other Bargmann brands as they are all the same company including Reese. And Reese is what I have used for over 40 years.

As for cost, check Craigslist and other local sources. There are almost always some WDH systems and components for sale used. Some hitch dealers will also wheel and deal on used items.

desertjack
05-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. From what I have been able to determine Reese appears to be same outfit as Drawtite. I wonder if I can use my current Drawtite shank and hitch ball platform and buy new spring bars and use them with the cam system as the cam system appears to be sold seperately from the spring bar system. Also am leaning toward either Equalizer E2 or 4 point sway systems. Thanks again for the comments.
Desert Jack

EcoboostKev
05-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Like others have said, they are both great hitches.I have the Equal-i-zer and love it.From what I have read the Reese is just a little tougher to setup.

chuck&gail
05-18-2012, 04:49 PM
IMHO you need 1000# bars (13% of TT GVWR). If it was mine I'd get the Equalizer (in fact I did). Easy to use, works great, no chains.

flc
05-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Another Equalizer fan (on several trailers.)

fla-gypsy
05-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. From what I have been able to determine Reese appears to be same outfit as Drawtite. I wonder if I can use my current Drawtite shank and hitch ball platform and buy new spring bars and use them with the cam system as the cam system appears to be sold seperately from the spring bar system. Also am leaning toward either Equalizer E2 or 4 point sway systems. Thanks again for the comments.
Desert Jack

Yes you can add it to any Reese Clone system and save a bunch of money. This is exactly what I did!